- Tenured and tenure-track faculty, PhD students, and postdoctoral researchers are eligible to have direct access. Researchers may not share the data with individuals not registered and approved by the Kilts Center.
- Each individual eligible to access the data must have a subscription at her/his own home institution.
- Access by PhD students or postdoctoral researchers requires a subscription by the student’s or postdoc’s advisor. The advisor must be a full-time tenured or tenure-track professor from the same institution. The PhD student or postdoc and the faculty advisor are required to register individually.
- Researchers may use the data for strictly academic research projects focused on important issues of wide and general interest.
- Research projects commissioned, sponsored, or funded by an industry source, government organization, industry group, nonprofit organization, or private company must be reviewed and approved by Nielsen as part of the registration process. Unapproved research of this nature is strictly prohibited.
- Narrowly focused projects on subjects of interest only to specific industries or firms may be declined.
- Use of the data for consulting purposes of any kind, including litigation support, is strictly prohibited. Projects with a primary purpose of evaluating Nielsen’s data-collection approach or methodologies will not be approved.
- Researchers must not disclose any personally identifiable information about consumer panelists or details that would permit re-identification of Nielsen’s consumer panelists.
- Researchers must not disclose any information about specific retailers or individual stores, or details that would permit re-identification of Nielsen’s retailers or individual stores.
- Researchers must not disclose UPC-level pricing or other UPC-level data that Nielsen received from retailers.
- Every researcher must register and submit an annual status update and disclose changes to my project scope, new funding sources, coauthors, and other updates as requested. Data must be stored only on machines owned by my subscribed institution and which will not physically leave my institution’s campus. No amount of data should ever be stored on a personal computer. Storage on third-party cloud systems is not allowed.
- Within 15 days of a subscription end date or deactivation, each researcher must provide all papers, complete a final report, and provide signed verification that she/he destroyed and purged all copies of the data by filling out a Data Destruction Certificate.
Papers and Publication Policies
- Presentations, papers, and publications must include the following citation:
- “Researcher(s) own analyses calculated (or derived) based in part on data from The Nielsen Company (US), LLC and marketing databases provided through the Nielsen Datasets at the Kilts Center for Marketing Data Center at The University of Chicago Booth School of Business.”
- “The conclusions drawn from the Nielsen data are those of the researcher(s) and do not reflect the views of Nielsen. Nielsen is not responsible for, had no role in, and was not involved in analyzing and preparing the results reported herein.”
- Researchers must submit of copies of all proposed papers, reports, presentations, and publications to the Kilts Center at least 30 days prior to public dissemination (including SSRN) or final publication. Any distributed materials may include only limited excerpts of Nielsen information—“limited excerpt” means such portion of the Nielsen data that would not ordinarily substitute for a purchase of access to the Nielsen data.
- Thirty days after providing Kilts Center a copy of a working paper, researchers must submit such papers to the Kilts Center for Marketing Nielsen Data Research Working Paper Series at Social Science Research Network (SSRN).
Questions about the Nielsen datasets at the James M. Kilts Center for Marketing? Contact us by email.
Insights to Your Inbox
Sign up to receive emails from the Kilts Center to stay up to date on faculty research, alumni and student stories, and marketing at Booth.
Connect with Kilts
Engage with the Kilts Center on social media by joining our LinkedIn showcase page.
Connect on LinkedIn »
Leverage Your Social Network
Share insights from the Kilts Center with colleagues and connections who share your passion for marketing.
Share This Page