Chicago Booth Research Staff Program
This program is an unparalleled opportunity for researchers with undergraduate or graduate experience to support award-winning faculty research.
In the Chicago Booth Research Staff Program, research professionals (RPs) and principal researchers (PRs) typically spend two to three years gaining firsthand experience with the research process, working closely with their faculty supervisor.
Research professionals have gone on to top PhD programs in economics and other social sciences, including programs at MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, Wharton, Berkeley, and UChicago. Principal researchers have entered the academic job market or taken industry positions.
Research staff build invaluable and collaborative relationships with Booth faculty and fellow RPs and PRs by engaging in UChicago’s rigorous intellectual environment. While at Booth, research staff hone their skill sets and engage in a bevy of programs—from coding workshops to writing seminars—that prepares them to undertake independent research.
Join Our Team
Interested in learning more about the Chicago Booth Research Staff Program? Join our mailing list or contact us by email.
In addition to attending faculty research workshops and staff development sessions, Booth research staff have the opportunity throughout the academic year to participate in workshops tailored to research staff. Such workshops include:
- A three-day coding workshop covering best practices related to version control and code documentation.
- An academic writing workshop tailored to economics and covering key points in developing compelling arguments and convincing others.
- A workshop where current RPs and PRs present their own work and/or new techniques and best practices for tackling research.
- Orientations to multiple research resources at Booth and the larger university, including the library as well as Booth’s and the Research Computing Center’s computing clusters.
Research staff come from a wide array of locations, disciplines, and institutions and have diverse backgrounds and varied identities. We believe a diversity of perspective deepens intellectual pursuits, and we are dedicated to creating an environment where people of different backgrounds feel valued and where their ideas and contributions can flourish. We promise to remain vigilant and dedicated, ceaselessly working to identify and remove barriers to full participation.
As part of our commitment to diversity, we offer a slate of workshops covering topics related to diversity, equity, and inclusion each academic year. These include sessions dedicated to understanding unconscious bias and bystander intervention as well as lunch-and-learns led by Chicago Booth faculty members.
As a part of the university’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, there are many campus-wide resources, events, and centers related to these topics, including:
- University of Chicago Diversity & Inclusion initiative
- D+I Studio
- Resource groups
- Disability Services
- Diversity and inclusion events
- Center for Identity and Inclusion
- Center for the Study of Race, Politics, and Culture
- Center for the Study of Gender and Sexuality
- Office of Civic Engagement
- Equal Opportunity Programs
As staff members of the University of Chicago, research staff receive a wide array of benefits. These include tuition reimbursement and continuing education opportunities, a competitive vacation and sick time package, health care, and perks and discounts throughout Hyde Park and Chicago.