Learn about professional, social, and educational opportunities available to underrepresented students of color at Chicago Booth.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
At Chicago Booth, we have a steadfast commitment to building a more diverse and equitable world and leading change within our own community.
Diversity and inclusion are central to our mission. We vehemently reject racism and discrimination, and we believe that the best ideas emerge from a community of diverse backgrounds and multiple perspectives. We are determined to create an inclusive environment that empowers each individual to fully participate in the exchange of ideas and perspectives that is foundational to the Booth experience.
At the same time, we recognize that we must continue to work to build a more equitable community, and we are taking a number of concrete steps to strengthen our diversity and inclusion efforts. For example:
- Our new Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan outlines specific steps we will take to support diversity in student recruitment, faculty hiring, internal communications, the MBA curriculum, and more.
- A new student group, the Deans’ Diversity Advisory Committee, meets regularly to ensure that students play an integral role on a full range of diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- We are raising funds for diversity and inclusion efforts as a focus area of the Chicago Booth Annual Fund.
- Through partnerships with Management Leadership for Tomorrow and other national organizations, we are helping to build a strong pipeline of diverse MBA candidates.
- We have formed a staff diversity and inclusion committee with the purpose of enhancing awareness and understanding of diverse perspectives, identities, and experiences to promote engagement and learning across all backgrounds.
- Career Services and Corporate Relations regularly engage with corporate partners on their approach to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We advocate regarding recruiting practices, advancement opportunities, and professional development. We empower students and alumni to explore corporate D&I practices through programs, educational events, and research resources.
- In a conversation with student Morgan Franklin, Dean Rajan discussed the genesis of the school’s Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan and outlined the school’s vision for taking meaningful action and measuring our progress going forward.
- The University of Chicago hosts a number of diversity events throughout the calendar year. Discover the upcoming diversity-related events at the university.
Strengthening Our Work
Booth’s Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan serves as the cornerstone of our efforts to build a more inclusive community and address racism and internal biases. The plan addresses student concerns, acknowledges that we have work to do, and reaffirms our commitment to doing that work.
The plan supports diversity and inclusion initiatives across Booth programs and services, from recruiting a diverse student body to developing global leaders to building relationships with inclusive employers.
Chicago Booth has a deep commitment to supporting women students in their journey through business school and beyond.
At Chicago Booth, we’re committed to fostering a strong LGBTQ student community through partnerships, student groups, events, and more.
We welcome students from around the world, and we’re committed to offering the support our global students need to thrive.
We value your experience, perspective, and maturity as a military veteran, and we’re committed to supporting your success.
Learn about the many professional, social, and spiritual opportunities available to students of faith at Chicago Booth.
Diversity and Inclusion Initiatives for Alumni
We invite all of our alumni to engage with us in building a stronger, more inclusive community. From listening sessions with Black alumni to identity-based alumni networks and a new series of dialogues on issues such as social justice and equity, Chicago Booth Advancement is dedicated to creating an environment where everyone feels valued and respected.
Diversity and Inclusion at the University of Chicago
Diversity is a core institutional value at our university. In addition to a number of events throughout the year, the University of Chicago website provides you information for getting involved, tools and resources, and the latest diversity and inclusion news at UChicago.
A Tradition of Inclusion
Since 1929, when Booth was the first university to grant a PhD in business to a woman, we have broken barriers in diversity and inclusion. In 1964, we were the first business school to establish a minority scholarship program. In 1970, Booth students founded the National Black MBA Association. In 1985, Chicago Booth became the first elite business school with an office dedicated to the support of underrepresented student populations.
In 2014, we partnered with the Chicago Urban League to create the IMPACT Leadership Development program, which connects up-and-coming professionals with senior Black leaders throughout Chicago. And in 2020, Booth hosted the Management Leadership for Tomorrow Pre-Application Seminar, welcoming Black, Latinx, and Native American students interested in business school for two days of virtual learning and networking.
Booth’s Daniel Rogers, ’13, and Seyi Fabode, ’10, have won funding from a new Google program dedicated to bolstering promising Black-founded startups.
A new summer program at UChicago aims to increase diversity in the field of economics by supporting talented undergraduate students from a wide range of backgrounds.
Activist and author Nova Reid spoke with Booth professor Jane Risen on how to create a more diverse, inclusive, anti-racist workplace and world.
Chicago’s first leadership development program specifically for African American professionals, created in partnership with Chicago Booth, is training the next generation of civic and corporate leaders.
Fifty years ago, a group of Booth students started what has become the leading business organization for black professionals in the United States. Two founding members reflect on that historic time.
With a longstanding commitment to applicants from all walks of life and industry backgrounds, Chicago Booth values those joining us from military services around the world.
Share Your Ideas
Help us lead change and create a more diverse and inclusive community. Submit the form below to share your thoughts on what we can do better.
Achieve more with an MBA degree from Chicago Booth. Offered in four formats—including Executive MBA programs based in Chicago, London, and Hong Kong—to suit your personal and professional goals.
Explore your research interests and earn a PhD from one of the best business PhD programs in the world.
Choose from nearly 50 open-enrollment programs worldwide, or create a custom program tailored to meet your organization’s unique challenges.