Prerequisites and Seat Availability
Courses are offered on a space-available basis after Booth students have had first priority for registration. Popular courses may be closed due to space limitations.
Prerequisites and Instructor Consent
Many Booth courses have prerequisites. Some prerequisites are recommended, and others are required in order to enroll in the course. Required prereqs are noted with the word "strict" in the "Prerequisites" section of the course description in the Booth Course Search tool. We also maintain a quarterly Strict Prereqs and Permissions List for easy reference.
If the course you are interested in has a strict prerequisite and you would like to ask for a waiver, email the faculty member to request permission to register. In your email, outline your relevant coursework or include a copy of your resume. If you receive a strict prereq waiver, forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org before the close of the online registration request poll.
Faculty determine whether their course is closed to non-Booth students, or whether non-Booth students first need permission to enroll. Check the Strict Prereqs and Permissions List for a list of these conditions.There are no exceptions.
- The same course may have different strict prerequisites or non-Booth enrollment restrictions when taught by different faculty
- Seats are not held for students waiting for prerequisite waivers
First Class Assignments
Some courses have first class attendance requirements and/or an assignment due on the first day of class. Reference the First Class Assignment list. You should attend the first class session, even if you are not certain you will enroll.
For Spring 2019 the following cancellations have been made:
- 33502-81 International Financial Policy (Kekre)
- 34722-01 Scaling Social Innovation Lab (Hachikian)
- 35121-01, 81 Behavioral Finance (Hartzmark)
- 35125-01 Quantimental Investment (Cong)
- 35916-50 New Developments in Public Finance (Mahoney, Zwick, Zimmerman)
- 40000-85 Operations Management (Zhong)
- 42704-85 Integrated Strategic Management (Fitzgerald)
A seat availability report is produced at the end of each phase of Booth registration to provide a snapshot of enrollment in Booth courses. Enrollment activity occurs during and following the production of the report, and seat availability information on the University Registrar's time schedules page does not reflect actual open seats.
For Spring 2019 reports will be published between 3-5pm (CST), on the following dates. Refresh your browser to view the current report.
March 5, 12, 22, 27
April 1-5 (daily)