Drops and Grading
Once you have successfully registered for a Booth course, use the information below if you want to make adjustments to your enrollment.
Dropping MBA-level Courses
- To drop an MBA-level course, all students must fill out the online Drop Request Form.
- DO NOT drop an MBA-level Booth course through My.UChicago; it will result in an incomplete drop.
- Drops are allowed through Sunday of week 3.
- Tuition penalties for drops may vary depending on your home program.
- The $25 Booth Book Fee is non-refundable for courses dropped after Friday, week 2.
Withdrawing from MBA-level Courses
- To withdraw from an MBA-level course, all students must email the Booth Registrar's Office to request a withdrawal.
- For MBA-level courses, beginning Monday, week 9 an email from your instructor approving the withdrawal must also be forwarded to the Booth Registrar's Office.
- The last day to request withdrawal from any Booth course is Friday, week 10. Non-attendance does not constitute dropping or withdrawing. Failure to follow this procedure will result in a failing grade.
- Petitions for a withdrawal to be considered a late drop are conducted through your department/division. If approved, the Booth Registrar's Office must be notified.
Drops and Withdrawals from Business Economics (BUSN 2XXXX) Courses
- College students can use the self-serve drop function in My.UChicago in weeks 1-3.
- Withdrawals from Business Economics courses must be approved by your College advisor.
Requesting Pass/Fail Grading
- To find out whether you can take a Booth course Pass/Fail, first reference the online course description to see if the instructor has specified "No Pass/Fail." No exceptions are granted.
- To request Pass/Fail grading, complete a Pass/Fail form and email it to the Booth Registrar's Office by Friday, week 4.
- A Pass/Fail request may be rescinded within this time period, but after this deadline, no changes may be made.
Official Audit (grade of R)
To officially audit a course, in addition to registering for the course, you must receive written consent (email) from the instructor and email it to the Booth Registrar's Office by Friday, week 2.
- You will be charged tuition for the course.
- A grade of "R" will appear on your transcript.
- Officially audited courses cannot count towards degree requirements.
- Once requested, an official audit cannot later be changed to a letter grade.
- Check the Booth course description to see if your instructor allows auditors.
Requests for Incomplete grades must be approved by the instructor, and an Incomplete form must be emailed to the Booth Registrar's Office by Friday, week 10 (Friday, week 9 in summer).
College students must contact their advisor first in order to request an Incomplete.
Taking a Booth course in your graduating quarter may impact your ability to graduate. Booth faculty are not required to issue provisional grades or early final grades for graduating students. It is recommended that you NOT take a Booth course in your graduating quarter, unless the course is NOT needed to fulfill your degree requirements. For more information, consult the For Graduating Students section of our FAQ.
Individual Study (BUSN 31301)
Booth Assistant, Associate, Clinical or Full Professors are eligible to sponsor an Independent Study. The deadline to submit the Individual Study form to the Booth Registrar's Office is Friday, week 2.