INTERNATIONAL STUDENT REQUIREMENTS
Please provide us with the completed application form, which includes:
- A letter of recommendation
- An unofficial transcript from all post-secondary institutions you have attended
- Essays and a resume
- Proof of English language fluency (TOEFL or IELTS)
TOEFL and IELTS tests measure the ability of nonnative speakers of English to use and understand English as it is spoken, written, and heard in American colleges/universities. Applicants are exempt from submitting TOEFL/IELTS scores if one of the following applies:
- If the applicant has earned an undergraduate degree from an institution in which English is the only language of instruction
- If the applicant has at least two years of full-time work experience in the US
- If applicant is a citizen or permanent resident of a country where English is an official language
Please visit the TOEFL and IELTS websites for information about when and where to take the tests. Please keep in mind that you do not have to submit official scores until you are accepted into the program.
Once an international applicant has been accepted, the program coordinators will work with the Office of International Affairs (OIA) to issue the documents needed to obtain a student visa.
Before we can issue the I-20 form, you will have to provide us with the following:
- Passport ID page, which shows your name, photo, and expiration date
- Completed Financial Resources Statement (FRS) form and financial documentation to prove the funding stated in the FRS
To read further information about this process, please visit the Office of International Affairs website.
Once we have received all appropriate documents, OIA can issue your I-20 form. When you receive your I-20 you must pay the SEVIS fee before you make a student visa appointment at a US embassy or consulate.
ARRIVING IN CHICAGO
All international students must check in at the Office of International Affairs (OIA) after arrival in Chicago. Our program coordinators will arrange your check-in meeting with OIA within your first week of the program. Please bring your passport, visa, I-94, and I-20.
For more information about the application process for international students, please visit International Student FAQ.