Letters of Recommendation
All applicants must submit two letters of recommendation. Whomever you choose to write your recommendation, make sure he or she knows you well and can offer specific examples of your performance and contributions to the organization. Avoid choosing people simply based on their title or status. We are more concerned with content and substance rather than reputation.
- The first letter of recommendation should come from a supervisor. Overall, we are seeking objectivity in the letter, and we want to hear from someone who can assess both your strengths and your weaknesses.
- We prefer that you use a current supervisor for this recommendation, although we understand that this may not always be possible. If you are unable to use your current supervisor, please explain the circumstances in the optional essay.
- If you work for a family business or own your own company, please try to secure a letter from a client or outside party who does business with you and can provide an objective assessment of you.
- The second letter can be professional in nature or come from an individual who has worked with you in an organization, club, or on a volunteer project. These letters can give us a different perspective of your skill sets outside of your professional environment.
- There is no preference on who supplies your second letter of recommendation.
- Our only guideline is that it should add new and valuable insight to your candidacy.
Letter of Recommendation Form
The letter of recommendation form is available electronically through the online application system. Once you access that system, you will be asked to provide the names and email addresses of your recommenders. We will then send them an email that includes the link to the online form that they will have to complete. Chicago Booth does not accept letters of recommendation via mail or fax.
We ask that recommenders complete a skills assessment for each applicant, as well as submit a letter answering the following questions:
- How does the applicant's performance, potential, background, or personal qualities compare to those of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles? Please provide specific examples.
- Please describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response.