The role of financial leaders today has evolved beyond strictly crunching numbers. Finance officers must be strategic leaders, effective communicators, and risk managers. Chicago Booth has assembled an interdisciplinary team of faculty from the fields of economics, finance, accounting, strategy, and leadership to create The Executive Program for Prospective CFOs.
Led by Randall Kroszner, Deputy Dean for Executive Programs, Norman R. Bobins Professor of Economics, and former Governor of the Federal Reserve System, this program draws upon Booth’s global expertise in finance and strong focus on economic research to address the most pressing issues facing senior finance executives today. The program also includes keynotes from distinguished practitioners who describe how they have managed strategic challenges in their organizations.
By attending this program, you will:
- Identify critical attributes needed to create a high-performance environment.
- Articulate the corporate message internally and externally.
- Analyze patterns in strategic thinking to identify a growth path.
- Discover the power of data in making marketing more accountable and understand the strategic and scientific approach to marketing analytics that results in higher ROI.
- Develop a strategic plan for M&A execution and implementation.
- Examine the valuation process for global investments and methods for calculating the cost of capital in an international context.
- Analyze the sources of financial fragility and regulatory responses.
- Learn how to harness continuous improvement and disruptive change to benefit the corporation.
The keynote speaker for 2019 is Ray Young ('86), Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Archer Daniels Midland Company (ADM). In a fireside chat with Professor Kroszner, Ray Young will share key challenges he has faced, "things he wished he had known" before becoming CFO, and how the CFO role has evolved over time. At ADM, he oversees the company's treasury, tax, accounting, investor relations, financial planning, business development, and information technology functions as well as the captive insurance and ADM Investor Services organizations. Young is also responsible for strategic oversight of ADM's business in Asia.
“My goal as faculty director is to make this the premier program for senior finance executives who want to sharpen analytics, build strategic leadership and communication skills, manage the changing regulatory environment, and broaden their experience to benefit their companies and individual careers. I hope to attract a select group of executives who will become the next generation of leaders in finance and who will continue to benefit from this high-caliber network long after the program is over.” —Faculty Director Randall Kroszner
Chicago Booth, Gleacher Center, Chicago IL
I believe that this course is a must for those individuals seeking to become CFOs. The course content and professors at Chicago Booth really help to open your mind to new concepts and ideas. I come away from the course armed with 'gems' that I can apply from day 1 in my current role.
- Elliott Wood, Finance & Planning Leader, IBM Latin America
Excellent, well-rounded, well-structured program. More finance executives should take this.
- Mayank Agrawal, Softward Group CFO, IBM India/South Asia
The program is great. I revisited some of the key concepts important to my role on an updated format. And also had the opportunity to learn from others' experiences.
- Carlos Montenegro, Head of Planning and Finance, Sao Carlos Empreendimentos
Excellent course! Great instructors who communicated their messages clearly and with purpose. I would highly recommend this course.
- Robert Rusch, Director – Finance and Accounting, American Transmission Co.
Great content and professors. Engagement with peers provided many opportunities for learning.
– Yolanda Daniel, VP Finance, W.W. Grainger, Inc.
I think the program is a success and fills a gap in the market. The international experience in the room enhanced the content and learning experience.
– David Gillespie, General Manager, Planning, Investment, and Funding, Jemena Ltd.
I truly enjoyed the program and believe it will be very successful. It was my first experience at the University of Chicago and will definitely not be my last one.
– Randy Ahuja, Managing Director, Verto Partners LLC
The distinguished faculty at Booth provided the depth and variety of perspectives and frameworks which will help future CFO's in how they think about the organizational, strategic, and financial management of their firms, through good times and bad.
- Abu Zeya, Finance Director, Halliburton
The program was very well designed. Topics were relevant to my current position as well as useful in my continued growth toward my next position.
– Todd Bryant, Vice President, Controller, RLI
This program generates opportunities to develop new skills and improve the capability to integrate a global finance view to create value.
- Orlando Gutierrez, Operations & Finance Manager, Corporate Boards, The Kroger Co.
This was a great program offering solid balance of theory and application. The focus on strategy throughout the program was excellent to focus on the 'how' you apply the learning in real life.
- John Murphy, Sr. VP, Chief Accounting Officer & Controller, DIRECTV
This program benefits senior finance executives who have significant experience in upper-level management or finance. This program will be valuable to executives from all industries and companies of all sizes from around the globe. Past Participants have come from companies such as The Dow Chemical Company, IBM, AbbVie, Express, Hyatt Hotels, and TOTO USA, Inc.
Applicants should have significant experience in upper-level management or finance.Titles include: CFO, deputy CFO, senior VP, finance director, treasurer, and controller.