Since April 2011, CIMA® certification has been recognized as the only financial services credential in the US to meet an international standard for personnel certification (ISO 17024) and earn accreditation by the American National Standards Institute.
Administered through the Investment Management Consultants Association® (IMCA®), CIMA® certification is the only credential designed specifically for advanced investment consultants. CIMA certification signals that a professional has completed the rigorous program and has achieved a high level of competency, professionalism, and investment expertise. Chicago Booth is a Registered Education Provider for the education program requirement in the certification process.
The Booth Advantage
As the exclusive education provider of IMCA’s® Certified Private Wealth Advisor® (CPWA®) certification, Chicago Booth brings years of experience educating investment professionals for success.
Valuable mix of top Booth faculty and experienced practitioners
Given the extensive CIMA® curriculum, our program assembles seven experts to cover the content–a number that is unmatched by any other education provider. The program is taught by top Booth faculty as well as practitioners who have their CIMA®, including the Chair of the IMCA Board.
More content for your money and benefits of in-class and online learning
The Booth program is comprehensive, dedicating time to cover each major topic area outlined by IMCA® in the CIMA® Candidate Handbook. With five full-days of content and the exam on Saturday morning, Booth offers more in-class time than any other provider. Tuition includes the Investments e-book and online learning platform as well as two online pre-program review sessions with Professor Kathleen Fitzgerald.
The "Chicago Approach™"
Our faculty will challenge you to question assumptions, separate fact from fiction, and analyze information – and to recognize when it’s time to reevaluate. Their teaching approach is rigorous, interactive, and dynamic.
Steps to Certification
The CIMA certification program requires that candidates meet all eligibility requirements, including experience, education, examination, and ethics.
Step 1: Submit CIMA® Certification program application to Investment Management Consultants Association® (IMCA®)
Step 2: Pass qualification examination
Step 3: Complete Booth CIMA® education program
Step 4: Pass certification examination
Step 5: Sign licensing agreement and adhere to IMCA® Code of Professional Responsibility, Standards of Practice, and Rules and Guidance for use of the marks
If you have not yet begun the CIMA® certification process or would like more information about IMCA®’s advanced certification qualifications, please contact IMCA® directly at 303.770.3377 or visit www.imca.org.
$5,800 (includes all meals; accommodations not included)
Additional IMCA® fees are outlined below. Fees are subject to change. Please visit IMCA online for the most up-to-date information. Includes application, qualification, and certification exam fees.
IMCA® Members: $600
Non-members who join IMCA® (includes IMCA® membership): $995:
450 North Cityfront Plaza Drive
Chicago, Illinois 60611
Robust curriculum, thoughtfully designed and masterfully taught. Thank you Chicago Booth! You have more than exceeded my expectations!
- E. Jacqueline Yoo, SVP, Northern Trust
The University of Chicago has taken a very thoughtful approach to presenting material toward the CIMA® designation. I wanted to be around the people involved and will miss them. The content was a perfect blend of technical and real world application. I look forward to my next opportunity to interact with the school and will be recommending anyone interested in finance to the program.
- Mark Bova, CIMA®, ETF Specialist, Guggenheim Investments
I had a great experience this week. I’m amazed at how much content you were able to fill in this week. Very beneficial to my career!
- Brett Howell, CIMA®, Wealth Management Advisor, Merrill Lynch
Great program. Faculty was excellent and accessible – seemed genuinely interested in material and interested in teaching us. Interaction with faculty and attendees was excellent.
- Joe Splendorio, CIMA®, Partner, CWS Financial Advisors
The design was excellent. Having 2 review sessions per day with Kathleen Fitzgerald was vital to my comprehension of the course’s content.
- Joseph Cali, CIMA®, Regional Investment Consultant, Charles Schwab Investment Management
I've always had respect for U Chicago from a distance but if this is an indication of the root of the University – I am even more impressed! My high regard was raised even more.
- Scott Fitzgerald, CIMA®, CFP®, SVP – Wealth Management, Merrill Lynch
Overall, this was a great experience. A very challenging yet extremely worthwhile and rewarding program. My learning curve has never before increased so substantially.
- Hans Williams, CIMA®, ETF Specialist, Guggenheim Investments
Came to Booth not having any idea what to expect – it was the most valuable experience I’ve had in 20 years.
- Michael Mader, CIMA®, CFP®, EVP, Veritas Wealth Advisors
This program has been designed to maximize your time. During the program, daily review sessions will help you apply, process, and retain the information. You’ll have the opportunity to ask questions, work through sample problems, and review case studies that will bring the content to life.
Topics covered during the program include:
- Risk and return
- Portfolio theory and mean-variance analysis
- The CAPM
- International investing
- Multifactor models
- Market anomalies and market efficiency
- Performance measurement and attribution
- Formulating tax-efficient strategies
- Behavioral finance
- Fixed income markets
- Alternative investing: derivatives, hedge funds, and private equity
- Dynamic portfolio selection and time varying returns
- Writing investment policy statements
- Manager search and selection
Chicago Booth's extended preparation and review lead to lasting success.
- Prior: Two online review sessions on Statistics and Methods
- During: Review sessions each day at strategic stopping points
- Post: Performance summary sheet available with Booth exam results
Investment Workshop Series: Preparation for CIMA Exams
Incorporate this series into your Qualification Exam (QE) or Certification Exam (CE) study game plan. This series will help you prepare for the CIMA exams by combining online and in-person workshops. These sessions use the same teaching methodology that has been tested and proven highly effective in the Booth CIMA Program.
As an added benefit, receive a $300 credit toward the tuition for the Booth CIMA Program, April 10-14, 2017.
Who Should Attend
CIMA candidates who are preparing for the Qualification or Certification Exam. This workshop series is applicable to a wide range of financial professionals, including independent advisors, investment consultants, national and regional broker-dealer representatives, and bank/trust employees.
- Eight convenient online workshops to lay the foundation: These 90-minute sessions will feature live instruction with Kathleen Fitzgerald, our CIMA content expert. You’ll be able to ask questions in real time and play back all recorded online workshops at your convenience.
- Five online practice problem-solving sessions to reinforce material
- Two-day intensive capstone session in Chicago: Featuring an engaging and interactive classroom format, panel discussion to learn from prior students who are now CIMA designees, and the opportunity to network with peers.
- Numerous practice problems and access to an online Q&A platform
- Outstanding faculty: Kathleen has a vested interest in helping you pass the exam and has been praised by past participants for her ability to teach the CIMA content in a way that is easy to understand and apply.
- A total of 31 hours of live instruction
- Online workshops (7 - 8:30 p.m. CST): December 12, 15, 20, 27, 2016 and January 2, 9, 12, 18, 2017
- Online practice problem-solving sessions (7 - 8 p.m. CST; sessions marked * are from 1 - 3 p.m. CST): December 18*, 22, 29, 2016 and January 3, 15*, 2017
- Chicago capstone workshop (Gleacher): Friday, January 20 (10 a.m. - 5 p.m.); Saturday, January 21 (9 a.m. - 4 p.m.)
- $1,250 Workshop Series
- Receive a $300 credit toward the April 10-14, 2017 Booth CIMA Education Program
Learn More & Register
Visit the Investment Workshop Series page or contact Rebecca Meyer