Prerequisites are the courses or background that each faculty member determines are necessary for students to have taken before enrolling in a Chicago Booth course.
There are four prerequisite categories at Chicago Booth:
- Required for students to bid for or enroll in a course.
- Students cannot bid for a course unless they have met the strict prerequisites.
2. With Permission
- Students must gain email consent of the instructor to bid for/enroll in the course.
3. Restricted Population Only (i.e. PhD students only)
- Only students within the designated population(s) may bid for/enroll in the course.
- Recommended background for students to bid for/enroll in the course.
- Students are allowed to bid for the course, even if they have not met the recommended prerequisites at the Booth or through other avenues (prior academic background/work experience).
Note: If no notation is listed for the prerequisite, then it is a recommended prerequisite and does not require a Prerequisite Waiver Approval.
Prerequisite Waiver Approvals
In some cases, Chicago Booth faculty will waive strict prerequisites.
To request a Prerequisite Waiver Approval: