The Dougan Scholars Certificate Program
The Dougan Scholars Certificate Program (PDF) is designed for University of Chicago students who wish to complement their undergraduate curriculum with a deep understanding of the economic disciplines driving business today. Through study in Chicago Booth courses, Dougan Scholars discover their own aptitude for analysis and problem-solving skills and see firsthand how these tools can be translated to real-life scenarios.
At Chicago Booth, MBA students learn The Chicago Approach, an educational philosophy rooted in the belief that transformational ideas start with rigorous inquiry. It teaches a multidisciplinary perspective where students gain a diverse array of analytical and behavioral tools. A greater clarity and understanding of subjects such as accounting, economics, statistics, and social sciences provide Chicago Booth students with the insight to interpret complexities, make good decisions, and foster ideas that have lasting impact on the world around them.
Meet our Scholars »
As a Dougan Scholar, students benefit from:
- Early bidding for MBA-section courses
- Selective cohort program at Chicago Booth
- Transcript designation upon course completion at Booth
- Booth student mentor for the duration of the program
- Educational sessions led by Booth alumni and faculty
- Access to faculty and/or research opportunities
Students who participate in the Dougan Scholars program are motivated by their curiosity to learn, desire to challenge themselves, and collaboration among their peers. They understand the distinct value of gaining access to world-class faculty, curriculum, and research at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business. Dougan Scholars also have select opportunities to develop close connections within their class cohorts and Chicago Booth student mentors.
Candidates for the Dougan Scholars Certificate Program should demonstrate the following:
- Competitive GPA
- Competitive ACT and/or SAT score
- Confidence and ability to contribute in the classroom
- Capacity to build rapport with others and problem solve
Second-year students in the College at the University of Chicago are eligible to apply for admission to the Dougan Scholars Certificate Program. Here is an overview of the application process:
Application - Complete the online application and submit all supporting materials.
Interview - Interviews are offered by invitation only and will be with Chicago Booth's Full-Time Admissions Fellows. Interviews will take place in mid-February at the Harper Center.
Decisions - Candidates are informed of admissions decisions through the online application system under the Application Status section.
October 1, 2018
January 10, 2019
March 7, 2019
Prospective applicants should complete the following items:
Essay: Chicago Booth immerses you in a rigorous, choice-rich environment. How did navigating the choices and decisions of your First Year in the College prepare you to take ownership of your Dougan Scholars experience at Booth?
One letter of recommendation from a faculty member from the University of Chicago that addresses applicant’s intellectual ability, potential for success, and areas of development (all recommendations will be submitted through the application website, after the application opens and the applicant enters the recommender's contact information).
Unofficial transcripts (including Fall 2018 grades), request an un-encrypted PDF here. Transcripts must be uploaded to your application. Emailed transcripts will not be accepted.
Learn more about Chicago Booth and how the Dougan Scholars Certificate Program will transform your undergraduate experience by attending one of our informational events. We host information sessions, participate in campus fairs, and offer online chats so you can gain insight into our distinct certificate program and our unique community.
Throughout the year, you will have multiple opportunities to engage with Booth Admissions staff, Admissions Fellows, and current students. Our informational events will give you a comprehensive look at the Dougan Scholars Certificate Program and help you understand how Dougan Scholars will impact your undergraduate experience. We are adding events on a regular basis, so we encourage you to visit this page often.
Below are descriptions of our informational events:
- Dougan Scholars Certificate Program Information Sessions - Our information sessions will provide you with an in-depth overview of the Dougan Scholars Certificate Program, as well as offer insight into the admissions process. Hosted by Admissions staff, these sessions consist of a presentation and a panel discussion with our current students. Information Session will be hosted during the Fall Quarter.
- Dougan Scholars Office Hours - At our Dougan Scholars Office Hours you will have the unique opportunity to engage with our current students and our admissions team in a relaxed and informal environment. Held throughout the year, these gatherings are a great way to learn more about the Dougan Scholars community and student experience. Meet with current Dougan Scholars & the Admissions team today »
- Online Chats – Through our online chats, you will have an opportunity to participate in a discussion with students in the Dougan Scholars Certificate Program and learn about its impact on their College experience and future plans. You will learn about how current Dougan Scholars navigate Booth classes and programming, as well as the dynamic and supportive mentorship at Booth. View chat transcripts »
- Campus Fairs - We participate in several campus fairs throughout year. Sponsored by campus partners like the Center for Leadership and Involvement and Career Advancement, these events will provide you with the opportunity to meet Dougan Scholars Certificate Program staff and students.
We receive many questions about the Dougan Scholars Certificate Program and have provided answers to several frequently asked questions about the program and application process.
Email or call 773.702.7369 with questions regarding the Dougan Scholars Certificate Program.