Full-Time Admitted Students

Live Chat with Academic Services
Wednesday, August 17, 11am – 12pm CT

Join a live online chat exclusively for admitted students. Representatives from Academic Services are available to answer any questions regarding the Course Planning Guide and the Academic Planning and iBid Instructional Videos. Don't miss this opportunity to get your questions answered before Orientation+.

Chat Transcripts

Guest Question: How much of the specific courses should I be certain of when I enter school or can I wait to sit down with the Academic advisor and figure out what is best for me?
* Christine Gramhofer: Any work you do in advance only better prepares you for a smooth transition.  Moreover, if you decide to take advantage of the optional advising appointment, you can have a working list of what courses you wish to take in autumn and then in subsequent appointment, you can discuss a larger plan.

Guest Question: How many sit ins with an academic advisor do incoming 1st years get?
* Teresa True: During Orientation+ you will have the opportunity to meet with an advisor one time. Once we get into autumn quarter, you can meet with your advisor as often as you need.

Guest Question: I am a career switcher. What do you typically recommend for students like me to approach building a strong knowledge base in a new area(s) they want to pursue? Should I look at the concentrations and pick classes based on the concentration requirements? Or should I focus on potential career paths and select courses based on the knowledge I think I'll need there?
* Cesar Flores: You may consider taking some courses from the Foundations Area depending on your academic and professional background.  The Course Planning Guide and Academic Services videos gives an overview; once you experience programming at Orientation about the curriculum and talk with advisor including meeting individually will help you decide on what courses for autumn.  Looking at the courses within each concentrations will also help as you start doing long range course planning. 

Guest Question: If you're taking the pre-MBA accounting class, do you recommend taking financial accounting in the Fall quarter?
*Myesha Gholston: If you are taking the Pre-MBA course, remember the information will be fresh in your mind for Autumn quarter. That said, it really is up to the individual whether you take Accounting in the Autumn or Winter quarter.

Guest Question: Hello and thanks for this session - what happens if you use all of your bid points? Then you can only take courses that cost 0 points i.e. don't reach capacity?
*Myesha Gholston: You must bid at least 1 point for a class. In Phase 5 is real time where you would add/drop a class.

Guest Question:  Hello! I understand that many students take the 3 Foundation courses their first semester because many courses have the Foundation courses as pre-reqs. If we wanted to take two Foundation courses, and defer one until later, is there one that is less likely to come up as a pre-req?
* Teresa True: Yes. You can definitely take 2 foundations and push one off until later. As far as which one to push off, in general Accounting might make the most sense. However, it's best to chat with an advisor about your background as something else may make more sense for you personally.

Guest Question:  How do we know which courses to take if we are not decide on our career path yet?
* Cesar Flores: The Foundations area is a good starting point however having a discussion with an academic advisor about your plans and background will help in deciding where to start in autumn while you explore different career paths

Guest Question: How soon can incoming 1st years take lab courses?
* Christine Gramhofer: Depending upon your background and professional goals as early as first quarter; that said, course balance with your schedule is important as lab classes can be a significant time commitment.

Guest Question: Is it better to register for courses as soon as iBid opens, or should we wait until we receive more information at Orientation+?
* Teresa True: You can get into iBid as soon as it opens so you can get comfortable with it. You can always make changes if you need to after Orientation+ begins. No matter what, it doesn't matter when you place your bids during the phase, as long as you bid during the phase so there's no pressure to place any bids before Orientation+ begins.

Guest Question: Is there a sample course guide from prior years for students heading into different recruiting?
* Cesar Flores: A student’s prior background (academic and professional) as well as skill set most often differ, coupled with the flexible curriculum and academic options, each path is different.  Advisors can help to determine the right path for when you arrive on campus.

Guest Question: I found the Master Booth Course List on the Academic Services Website. Is there a course catalog that contains a list of all the courses with a short description of each? If not, how would you recommend skimming all the courses and building the master list of what we want to take during our two years?
*Myesha Gholston: As outlined in the presentations, you can access the Course Search on the Intranet to see a full list/description of courses offered this academic year. The schedule of course is only planned out for the current year.

Guest Question: Hi, I've seen that there are quantitative course evaluations that we have access to, but are there any qualitative evaluations to explain the strengths/weaknesses of each course/professor (e.g. why they scored so high/low)?
* Christine Gramhofer:  Booth does not release the qualitative comments as they are for faculty eyes only. This information is gathered through peer interaction and meeting with an advisor to assist in highlighting nuances of courses and faculty.

Guest Question: Where can I find information on historical bid prices for different courses?
* Cesar Flores: Historical bid prices can be found within the iBid interface. On your main screen, look to the left and you should see a hyperlink to access the information.

Guest Question: It's been a few years since I took my micro and macro economics class in college (5+ years). Is the basic Economics class truly a foundational class, or should I do some summer prep? I feel like I have a pretty strong grasp on economic principles and theories, but I haven't done hard analysis in a while.
Myesha Gholston: By no means are the basic courses “basic,” especially in the Foundations areas.   It is the expectation of Booth that entering students have an understanding of business acumen and some exposure to the materials addressed in our Foundation courses.  Perhaps a better way to consider a “basic” course is to view it as a “fundamental” course for that area of study.

Guest Question: If you want to take the higher level courses in place of a basic foundation course, do we need to test out of it, or just showing prior educational experience suffice?
Myesha Gholston: If you plan to take higher level courses and the course has a prerequisite, you must reach out to the instructor for permission to bid on the course. When you reach out, share your education/work experience. As based on the Orientation video/presentations it is based on skill set and professional experience.

Guest Question:: Following up on the question about foundation courses, do most students take all three in their first quarter?
* Teresa True: Whether or not to take all foundations in the first quarter really depends on your background and what you have or haven't already had exposure to. This is a good conversation to have with an advisor about your individual needs. In general most students do take at least 2 foundations (basic or more advanced) and many do choose to get all 3 out of the way.

Guest Question: I know Booth markets the fact that there is only one required course (LEAD) - however, are the foundational courses required? For example, do you have to take an accounting foundational, and if so I presume you may choose whether to take a harder elective?
* Cesar Flores: A course from each of the Foundations areas are needed to meet each of the categories however as you mentioned, you are able to choose which of the approved courses for that area (Basic v. Advanced) is best suited for you based on your background and skill set.

Guest Question: Hello! Where can I view the full course descriptions?  There seems to be issues with my access to the Booth Book (which I presume I may use for course planning correct?)
* Teresa True: In the video titled Academic Resources, it shows you where you can access the Course Search Tool via the Intranet. This is where you can search classes and read the course descriptions.

Guest Question: How do you recommend thinking about concentrations? Are there any combinations that generally go together?
* Cesar Flores: Some concentrations have required courses while others do not and you'll find there are courses that also meet multiple concentrations.  The Curriculum Overview at Orientation will help you in how to approach the curriculum and think about how you may want to structure your program here at Booth.

Guest Question:: Hi. Thanks for the chat. I have a good idea of the course load I want to take during the fall semester, but I would like to run my ideas with someone. Is there an opportunity to speak with one of you before Orientation+ ?
*Myesha Gholston: Yes, there will be advising appointments during Orientation+ to meet with an Academic Advisor. Information on how to secure an appointment is forthcoming.

Guest Question: Do lab courses cost points? Is it possible to take 2 labs in the same quarter?
* Christine Gramhofer:  For application-based labs, points are not paid. Fortunately, there is a great balance of bid and application lab opportunities.  We do not recommend taking two labs in the same quarter given the time commitment to labs can easily exceed 12 hrs/wk.

Guest Question: Hi. What is the most common economics class for students to take to fulfill the Foundation course if they majored in economics?
Myesha Gholston: Great question for an academic advisor and it truly depends on the individual. If you don't plan to take the Foundation course 33001,the option to take Accelerated Microeconomics or Advanced Microeconomic Analysis.

Guest Question: What is the last point at which you can drop a course without it affecting your transcript? For example, if you drop a class after phase 5 for a 100 unit course, would you receive an "incomplete" or something similar on your transcript?
* Christine Gramhofer:  As explained in detail in the videos, the last day to drop a course without tuition penalty or having the course appear on your transcript is Friday, week 3.

Guest Question:: Have joint degree students with the Harris School been able to complete the IMBA in the past, or are the combined requirements generally tough to complete all together?
* Teresa True: There is no joint degree program that goes with the IMBA (in other words joint degree students cannot also do the IMBA). Joint degree students will receive communication from their advisor in the coming weeks. You can speak with your advisor about international opportunities you can take advantage of.

Guest Question: When is it appropriate to reach out to professors for waiver requests? Should we wait until after our first advising appointment?
* Cesar Flores: You may reach out to instructors now to request a prerequisite waiver to bid if you have identified a course(s) that has a strict prerequisite.

Guest Question: What types of courses do students generally take that are offered at the other schools within the University? I've heard people take Law School courses, SSA courses, etc. How many classes are we restricted to taking outside of Booth but within the University (if our petitions are granted)?
* Christine Gramhofer: As noted in our videos and the Course Planning Guide, students may take 6 courses within the University.  The most popular areas of courses reside in the Law School and the Harris School of Public Policy.

Guest Question:  As we think about which foundation courses to take, are there any downsides to taking the less advanced foundation courses (i.e. the less advanced statistics or economics courses)?
* Cesar Flores: A discussion with an academic advisor about your background and academic goals can help you weigh your options while you consider basic foundation courses versus advanced substitutes.

Guest Question: I am interested in taking a graduate course outside of Booth. Is this treated the same as a Booth class in terms of credit hours, tuition cost, full course load, etc?
*Myesha Gholston: Taking a Non-Booth class is a course that you do not bid for and you reach out to the instructor for permission to be in the course. Week 1 of the quarter Academic Services will administratively add you if there is space in the course. You will pay Booth tuition, and the course must be 100 units of credit.

Guest Question: During the bidding process, do you have visibility into bids of other students or is bid history the only reference point?
* Christine Gramhofer:  Students do not have access to see the live bids of others during a Phase.

Guest Question: Hi! The Course Planning Guide recommends that we include a case-based course in our autumn schedule. If we decide to take 3 foundation courses in the fall, do you still recommend that the 4th class be a case-based course or would that be too much of a time commitment?
* Cesar Flores: It really depends on your expected time commitments during autumn, your background, your academic and career goals; an advisor can help you decide whether 3 courses or 4 courses would be best.

Guest Question: I still haven't decided whether to take 3 courses or 4 courses. When does the 1st tuition payment become due? After orientation depending on the number of courses?
*Teresa True: All initial bills will charge for 3 classes. Any additional classes will be added to your bill in mid-October so there's no pressure to make a decision now.

Guest Question: How can I get more information on the application process for the Lab courses? When are the applications typically available and how much time do we get to fill them?
* Christine Gramhofer:  On Monday, Academic Services will post a video about the Lab offerings at Booth and a chart listing the different opportunities will be posted under Booth Book's resource tab.

Guest Question: How many bid points does a first year student on average spend in total during Autumn quarter bidding?
* Cesar Flores: The number of bid points used in a student's first quarter differs greatly.  So many factors play into this whereby there isn’t a typically number of points used to provide.  An advisor can you with your bid strategy for autumn and beyond when you arrive in September.

Guest Question:: Which criterion should we use when choosing the time schedule of the course we bid for? E.g. evening classes may require less points but, may they conflict with recruiting events?

* Teresa True: During the first quarter it is helpful to take full-time classes (during the day) since many recruiting events happen in the evening. After autumn quarter, it will be easier to take evening classes.

Guest Question: Is there a program that allows us to take 3 courses in addition to Booth requirement? I think part time students have something similar to this. 
* Cesar Flores: The Take 3 Free Course Offer is an opportunity for students to take course free of tuition at the end of your program here at Booth by following certain guidelines.  There is a dedicated page about this offer within the Booth Intranet, you can access now; an academic advisor can provide you with more during autumn quarter and beyond. 

Guest Question: I noticed in the bid point history that many of the courses had a price of 0 across phases (even as enrollment is going up). If the course price is determined by the lowest bid, and you must bid at least 1 point for every class, how is this possible?
* Teresa True: If a section with 65 seats closes with 60 primary bids (and no alternate bids), the course will cost 0 points.

Guest Question: When is the last date for us to decide our courses?
* Teresa True: The last day to add a class to your schedule is the close of phase 5 (October 3). Keep in mind that you need to bid beginning phase 1 to ensure you don't have issues with your schedule.

Guest Question: Are there exceptions for those interested in pursuing an IMBA to not studey abroad, or is the alternative simply the International Business Concentration?
* Teresa True: No, study abroad is a part of the IMBA requirements. You would probably want to consider the International Business concentration if you can't/don't want to study abroad.

Guest Question: Can we apply for and do the IMBA after entering Booth?
* Christine Gramhofer:  Yes, in fact, this is the process you have to follow.

Guest Question: Where can I find the starting date and the deadline for each phase?
* Christine Gramhofer:  This information is announce by email in advance of every phase and posted on the iBid interface.

Guest Question: I noticed that some of the advanced substitutes for foundations are pretty narrow focused.  Would they still count for all pre-reqs, or would you run the risk of have to take the basic course as well?  (e.g. would the big data class substitute count for any stats pre-req?) 
* Teresa True: If a class has a strict prerequisite listed that you haven't taken, even if you've taken the advanced course, you will need to ask the instructor for a waiver (see the Course Planning video). Granting waivers are up to each individual instructor but if you've taken an advanced course getting a waiver shouldn’t be an issue.

Guest Question: Where can we find more information about the Take Three Free program ?
* Cesar Flores: There is more information about the Take Three Free Course Offer within the Academics area of the of the Booth Intranet in the course options area

Guest Question: What kind of self assessment should students do prior to meeting academic advisors in Orientation +? Apart from career choices , what other criteria should we think about now till then?
* Cesar Flores: Please reference an email sent earlier this summer from Christine Grahmhofer outlining the different academic resources available to incoming students prior to arriving for Orientation.

Guest Question: In case I am interested in a course but I am unsure whether I will have time to properly deal with it, would you advice auditing the course?
* Christine Gramhofer:  If the faculty member permits auditors, it may be worth considering; however, if you do not have time to give to the course as a registered student, you likely not have time to dedicate and attend as auditor.

Guest Question:: Is there a way to check how competitive certain study abroad programs are? What are the chances of being accepted on a study abroad program if you are not an IMBA candidate? What factors are taken into consideration for whether a student is accepted on a program?
* Teresa True: How competitive a certain IBEP school is depends on the number of students applying to a particular school so it varies from year to year. There are many students who don't do IMBA but do study abroad. The most important factor is your application and your answers to your essay questions.

Guest Question: What are the downsides (if any) of taking advanced versus basic courses? Ex: if someone is CFA and is eligible to skip basic, are there any downsides with taking advanced courses?
* Christine Gramhofer:  We see no downside if you are academically prepared for the challenge.