Access cutting-edge content in a convenient format.
The Chicago Management Institute (CMI) covers the essentials of business—strategy, leadership, accounting, finance, management, marketing, negotiation, and decision making—in an engaging classroom environment. Program sessions take place every other Friday and two Saturdays over the course of six months (for a total of 15 sessions).
By attending this program, you will:
- Gain cutting-edge insights that are immediately applicable to your business.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of critical functional areas within an organization.
- Strengthen decision-making skills and enhance strategic intuition.
- Learn from, and network with, accomplished peers from other organizations.
- Shape strategy and drive growth throughout your organization.
- Engage, influence, and motivate your team to achieve outstanding results.
Applications are required for participation. Please view the "Who Should Attend Tab" for more information about how to apply.
450 North Cityfront Plaza Drive
Chicago, Illinois 60611
CMI vastly exceeded my expectations...I began using everything I learned immediately, and I was able to inspire my team to exceed the growth rate [goal] while still having fun. Overall, the leadership skills I learned have been instrumental in meeting the growth challenge that I was given.
- Stan Johnson. Read more about Stan's experience here.
In this rapidly changing technology environment, a course like CMI teaches you the breadth and scope of your high-impact decisions, the financial 'language' around the decision-making process, and the tools to analyze options based on historical patterns. I gained exceptional insight into the product, marketing, and strategy decision-making process and how to place a business valuation on those decisions.
- Barrington Lopez, Former Vice President, Midwest Division of a Fortune 100 Technology Company
The biweekly format has given me the opportunity to bring my learnings from the class back to work and my work experiences back to class...
- Shrojal Desai, PhD, Hospira Inc.
CMI provides an excellent overview of relevant management topics. The professors are outstanding and the diverse background of the participants provides new perspectives to various business problems. I always look forward to class.
- Kellee McIntyre, Senior Process Engineer, Aux Sable Liquid Products
The caliber of the participants in our cohort is incredible. Collectively, there's such a vast amount of experience and practical wisdom that the opportunities to enhance your knowledge seem almost infinite.
- Meet Mehta, Head of Global IT Vendor Management, Motorola Solutions
CMI exposed me to ideas and people outside of [my organization] and broadened my MBA education. Every session of CMI was valuable, but the financial and strategy sessions were particularly crucial in preparing me for my current role [as president]. I understood the financial aspects of business, but the education I received from CMI gave me the ability to conduct in-depth analysis of financials that has been essential. [The] sessions on strategy are critical for senior level management.
Equally valuable are the contacts I made with both fellow CMI participants and faculty. No one individual has all of the answers and to this day I can call up a past participant or a faculty member for advice—people outside of [my company] that can give me a new perspective. Chicago does an excellent job of selecting a broad base of participants, people that are sharp and high caliber.
Everyone was committed to my learning, which really impressed me. The faculty made the participants feel important. For the level and reputation of Chicago, I was really surprised by the warmth that I felt.
[My company] has viewed my participation in CMI as a success and we're now committed to sending at least one high potential executive to CMI every year. We currently have two people in the program, one flying into Chicago from Richmond and another from Baltimore. Chicago's a great city to come to and easy to get to from anywhere in the country.
- Mike Swiderski, President, Consolidated Metco
CMI surpassed my expectations. The professors brought the material to life with high energy and humor. I felt like I was learning cutting-edge knowledge from the best professors in the world.
- Bert Morano, President and CEO, Solving IT International, Inc.
I have an engineering background, and over time I have transitioned into management. As I got involved in the business decision-making, I realized that I needed a better understanding of the different facets of business. Since I already had a master's degree, and couldn't take the time off for an MBA, I wanted a program that would give me a well-rounded overview of all aspects of business. After looking at many programs, I choose CMI for two main reasons: the faculty, and the every-other week format. CMI has helped me understand the dynamic nature of business decision making in an ever-changing marketplace.
- Raj Chauhan, CIO and Vice President of Engineering, ASI Datamyte Incorporated
I take a lot of pride in the company that my parents founded in 1976 and nurtured from the ground up. But I realized that we had been doing business and operating the same way since the company’s inception, even though the competitive market continues to change. I enrolled in the Chicago Management Institute and have been able to start implementing what I learned right away. One of the key takeaways reiterated throughout the program was data—everything goes back to the data. Thanks to CMI, I have a better understanding of how to define and use metrics to determine the cost associated with getting the desired outcome for the customer. We have become more strategic in determining what industries to target and defining our customer segments, which has enabled us to maximize our growth potential. Because we gained more insights into our competitors and the marketplace, we are able to be more responsive to our customers’ needs than ever before.
- Jason Dinverno, COO, Prestige Maintenance
The biweekly format has given me the opportunity to bring my learnings from the class back to work and my work experiences back to class—this to me is a complete loop, practical training. CMI has been an eye-opening experience for me. I had never imagined that the return on investment on my training for my company would be realized even before the end of my CMI training. With the help of the negotiation framework, I was able to close a deal with a vendor that not only saved my company more than half a million dollars, but it also created value for my vendor, making it a win-win for both parties.
- Shrojal Desai, PhD Hospira Inc.
The CMI program has been incredible. The professors, mix of subjects covered, and depth of which a variety of subject matter was covered was absolutely wonderful. I gained a great amount of understanding and tools that I am immediately able to use.
- Tina Metivier, Director, ASPD Service Delivery, Intrado, Inc.
Video interview with Mark P. Sexton and Tom Jacobs, Principals, Krueck and Sexton Architects
The Chicago Management Institute program is designed for managers who have a minimum of ten years of business experience with a significant portion of that experience in a managerial or leadership capacity. Participants come from a broad range of backgrounds including:
- Functional managers preparing for general management positions.
- Professionals currently in managerial positions but with little or no formal business education.
- Senior executives looking to update their business knowledge.
- Participants typically include vice presidents, directors, managers, partners, and controllers, as well as physicians, attorneys, engineers, scientists, and owners and managers of small businesses
Candidates must submit a completed application form. An online application is available here. In order to ensure your place in the program and to receive your pre-program materials in a timely manner, please submit your application six weeks prior to the start of the program. Late applications will be considered if space is available.
Since the Chicago Management Institute is intense, it is vital that applicants possess a commitment to prepare for and engage in class discussions. The class is seeded with participants from a variety of different backgrounds. To learn more, please download our program brochure.
Building and Implementing Growth Strategies
- The interplay between goals, strategies, and management
- Role of the general manager in setting strategy
- Analyzing competitor performance and patterns
Financial Accounting and Analysis
- Accrual accounting and cash flows
- Revenue recognition, accounting choices, and estimates
- Financial statement analysis, forecasting, and working capital management
- Capital markets and the corporate manager
- Net present value and discounted cash flow analysis
- Risk, return, and asset pricing
Strategic Marketing Management
- Strategic customer analysis
- Pricing and new product development strategies
- Product strategy from positioning to market
Negotiation and Decision-Making Strategies
- A systematic framework for improving negotiation outcomes
- Understanding individual and group decision making
- Structuring problems to reach appropriate solutions
- The relationship between personal characteristics and situational factors
- How leadership styles and behaviors drive organizational performance
- Developing insight skills and creating action plans
Understanding Your Customer
- How to create new customers
- How to guide a customer from ignorance to advocacy
- How to more fully engage existing customers
Manager & Acquisitions Strategy
- M&A patterns that work and don't work
- How to evaluate and select potential acquisitions
- Assessing organizational systems and cultural fit
Building and Managing Strong Brands
- The concept of customer-based equity
- Customer mindset and customer-based brand equity pyramid
- Integrating brand marketing
- Eight characteristics of strong brands
For additional details about the CMI curriculum, please download our program brochure.