Access cutting-edge content in a convenient format. The Chicago Management Institute (CMI) covers the essentials of business in an engaging classroom environment: strategy, leadership, accounting, finance, management, marketing, negotiation, and decision making. Class sessions take place every-other Friday and two Saturdays over the course of six months.
By attending this program, you will:
- Build and implement growth strategies, understand the interplay between goals, strategies, and management, and the pros and cons of various approaches to strategy formulation and implementation.
- Explore the relationship between individual behavior and organizational performance, and understand how to leverage your strengths to lead more effectively.
- Learn a systematic framework for improving negotiation outcomes, understand individual and group decision making, and recognize and avoid the common pitfalls in decision making.
- Understand financial accounting and analysis, including accrual accounting and cash flows, off-balance sheet financing, and financial statement analysis.
- Explore managerial finance and understand how to use tools such as net present value and discounted cash flow analysis to assess the financing strategy of your firm.
- Develop a framework for strategic marketing built upon customer analysis and core competencies to create a sustainable competitive advantage.
- Understand why customers buy and learn how to create new customers, guide a customer from ignorance to advocacy, and create more fully engaged customers.
450 North Cityfront Plaza Drive
Chicago, Illinois 60611
UPCOMING INFORMATION SESSIONS
Join us and attend an Information Session to discover if this program is right for you.
Applications are required for participation. Please view the "Who Should Attend Tab" for more information about how to apply.
In this rapidly changing technology environment, a course like CMI teaches you the breadth and scope of your high-impact decisions, the financial 'language' around the decision-making process, and the tools to analyze options based on historical patterns. I gained exceptional insight into the product, marketing, and strategy decision-making process and how to placea business valuation on those decisions.
- Barrington Lopez, Former Vice President, Midwest Division of a Fortune 100 Technology Company
The bi-weekly format has given me the opportunity to bring my learnings from the class back to workd and my work experiences back to class...
- Shrojal Desai, PhD, Hospira Inc.
CMI provides an excellent overview of relevant management topics. The professors are outstanding and the diverse background of the participants provides new perspectives to various business problems. I always look forward to class.
- Kellee McIntyre, Senior Process Engineer, Aux Sable Liquid Products
The caliber of the participants in our cohort is incredible. Collectively, there's such a vast amount of experience and practical wisdom that the opportunities to enhance your knowledge seem almost infinite.
- Meet Mehta, Head of Global IT Vendor Management, Motorola Solutions
CMI exposed me to ideas and people outside of [my organization] and broadened my MBA education. Every session of CMI was valuable, but the financial and strategy sessions were particularly crucial in preparing me for my current role [as president]. I understood the financial aspects of business, but the education I received from CMI gave me the ability to conduct in-depth analysis of financials that has been essential. [The] sessions on strategy are critical for senior level management.
Equally valuable are the contacts I made with both fellow CMI participants and faculty. No one individual has all of the answers and to this day I can call up a past participant or a faculty member for advice—people outside of [my company] that can give me a new perspective. Chicago does an excellent job of selecting a broad base of participants, people that are sharp and high caliber.
Everyone was committed to my learning, which really impressed me. The faculty made the participants feel important. For the level and reputation of Chicago, I was really surprised by the warmth that I felt.
[My company] has viewed my participation in CMI as a success and we're now committed to sending at least one high potential executive to CMI every year. We currently have two people in the program, one flying into Chicago from Richmond and another from Baltimore. Chicago's a great city to come to and easy to get to from anywhere in the country.
- Mike Swiderski, President, Consolidated Metco
CMI surpassed my expectations. The professors brought the material to life with high energy and humor. I felt like I was learning cutting-edge knowledge from the best professors in the world.
- Bert Morano, President and CEO, Solving IT International, Inc.
I have an engineering background, and over time I have transitioned into management. As I got involved in the business decision-making, I realized that I needed a better understanding of the different facets of business. Since I already had a master's degree, and couldn't take the time off for an MBA, I wanted a program that would give me a well-rounded overview of all aspects of business. After looking at many programs, I choose CMI for two main reasons: the faculty, and the every-other week format. CMI has helped me understand the dynamic nature of business decision making in an ever-changing marketplace.
- Raj Chauhan, CIO and Vice President of Engineering, ASI Datamyte Incorporated
I take a lot of pride in the company that my parents founded in 1976 and nurtured from the ground up. But I realized that we had been doing business and operating the same way since the company’s inception, even though the competitive market continues to change. I enrolled in the Chicago Management Institute and have been able to start implementing what I learned right away. One of the key takeaways reiterated throughout the program was data—everything goes back to the data. Thanks to CMI, I have a better understanding of how to define and use metrics to determine the cost associated with getting the desired outcome for the customer. We have become more strategic in determining what industries to target and defining our customer segments, which has enabled us to maximize our growth potential. Because we gained more insights into our competitors and the marketplace, we are able to be more responsive to our customers’ needs than ever before.
- Jason Dinverno, COO, Prestige Maintenance
The bi-weekly format has given me the opportunity to bring my learnings from the class back to work and my work experiences back to class—this to me is a complete loop, practical training. CMI has been an eye-opening experience for me. I had never imagined that the return on investment on my training for my company would be realized even before the end of my CMI training. With the help of the negotiation framework, I was able to close a deal with a vendor that not only saved my company more than half a million dollars, but it also created value for my vendor, making it a win-win for both parties.
- Shrojal Desai, PhD Hospira Inc.
The CMI program has been incredible. The professors, mix of subjects covered, and depth of which a variety of subject matter was covered was absolutely wonderful. I gained a great amount of understanding and tools that I am immediately able to use.
- Tina Metivier, Director, ASPD Service Delivery, Intrado, Inc.
The Chicago Management Institute program is designed for managers who have a minimum of ten years of business experience with a significant portion of that experience in a managerial or leadership capacity. Participants come from a broad range of backgrounds including:
- Functional managers preparing for general management positions.
- Professionals currently in managerial positions but with little or no formal business education.
- Senior executives looking to update their business knowledge.
Participants typically include vice presidents, directors, managers, partners, and controllers, as well as physicians, attorneys, engineers, scientists, and owners and managers of small businesses
Candidates must submit a completed application form. An online application is here. In order to ensure your place in the program and to receive your pre-program materials in a timely manner, please submit your application six weeks prior to the start of the program. Late applications will be considered if space is available.
Since the Chicago Management Institute is intense, it is vital that applicants possess a commitment to prepare for and engage in class discussions. The class is seeded with participants from a variety of different backgrounds.
Building and Implementing Growth Strategies
Explore opportunities for growth while developing analytical frameworks for understanding competitors and market dynamics.
- The Psychology of Judgment and Decision-Making Process
- Organizational Decision Making and Negotiations
- Creating Value and Improving Negotiation Outcomes
Financial Accounting and Analysis
Explore the impact of accounting choices on external financial reporting and examine the role of financial statement analysis in the evaluation of the firm and in the prediction of its future.
- Accrual accounting and cash flows
- Revenue recognition, accounting choices, and estimates
- Financial statement analysis, forecasting, and working capital management
This module offers a financial approach to managerial decision making and will increase your comprehension of current analytical practices and techniques.
- Capital markets and the corporate manager
- Net present value and discounted cash flow analysis
- Risk, return, and asset pricing
Strategic Marketing Management
Focus on strategic customer analysis and management, leveraging core competencies, competitor analysis, creating strategies for sustainable competitive advantage, and new product strategy.
- Strategic customer analysis
- Pricing and new product development strategies
- Product strategy from positioning to market
Negotiation and Decision Making Strategies
Using the latest advances in economics and psychology, learn how to recognize and overcome flaws in negotiation and decision making. Develop strategic frameworks for making sound decisions.
- A systematic framework for improving negotiation outcomes
- Understanding individual and group decision making
- Structuring problems to reach appropriate solutions
Understanding Your Customer
Building on the Strategic Marketing Management content, this module provides a powerful framework to better understand your customers. You will gain a better understanding of their "raving fan" customers, and how to build more of these advocates among their customer base.
- How to create new customers
- How to guide a customer from ignorance to advocacy
- How to more fully engage existing customers
Manager & Acquisitions Strategy
Gain an understanding of the analytical frameworks and tools necessary to evaluate and execute mergers, acquisitions, and corporate restructuring. You will develop a strategic plan for M&A activity and identify key issues to consider.
- M&A patterns that work and don't work
- How to evaluate and select potential acquisitions
- Assessing organizational systems and cultural fit
Building and Managing Strong Brands
Get an overview of the nature and power of brands. Most of us are familiar with the tactical aspects of brands: for example, the brand name or logo. The brand itself, however, is something much more powerful than these tactics. The brand's power derives from the set of thoughts and associations that consumers have about that brand (a consumer "mindset") that is built over time.
This mindset serves as a strategic asset, enabling organizations to differentiate its products and services from competitors.
- The concept of customer-based equity
- Customer mindset and customer-based brand equity pyramid
- Integrating brand marketing
- Eight characteristics of strong brands