Alumni of University of Chicago Alumni Club of Belgium are cordially invited to attend the webinar by Harvard Club of Belgium.
Vaccinations are picking up rapidly in some countries, providing a light at the end of the tunnel and hopes for exiting lockdowns and restarting "next-normal life". At the same time, worrying signs are emerging from other countries where new variants are creating havoc and despair and putting the health systems at the edge of collapse.
We have the pleasure to invite you to an exceptional event, listening and engaging with three leaders directly involved in shaping our future in terms of vaccination and pandemic preparedness.
- Bruno Holthof is the CEO of the Oxford University Hospital network and deeply involved in the Astra Zeneca vaccine development.
- Nicole Lurie is a Senior Advisor to the CEO of CEPI (the "Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovation"). She is the former Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR) at the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) under the Obama Administration.
- Lieven van der Veken, is a senior partner with McKinsey & Company with a dual focus on public health and pharma/biotech. Lieven leads McKinsey's health response to Covid in Europe.
We have decided to focus on the evening around three topics:
1) The role and contribution of business – Are vaccine manufacturers profiting financially from the pandemic? How are different players (private, public, non-profit) contributing to the solution? What are the challenges and lessons learned for public-private collaborations?
2) Three to five year outlook on pandemic preparedness – What lays ahead of us? What needs to happen to be better prepared next time? How to make the reaction "sustainable" beyond what previous epidemic challenges triggered?
3) Global equity – How do we make sure less developed countries get vaccinated as well? What should be our global aspiration given the nature of the pandemic?
We hope that you will be able to join us and look forward to a very engaging discussion.
The Zoom link will be provided upon registration.