MARK YOUR CALENDAR for this unique event that challenges professional and amateur investors alike to generate the greatest total return for a hypothetical investment portfolio. The annual Pro-Am Investment Challenge is a stock-picking contest open to alumni or faculty members of the University of Chicago. Chicago-area Booth alumni compete individually for prizes and bragging rights while the Chicago Booth Alumni Club will compete against Booth Clubs worldwide to reclaim the coveted Silver Trophy. Participants submit a hypothetical $100,000 portfolio of at least two and not more than five securities, which may be common or preferred stocks traded on U.S. markets, corporate or U.S. Treasury bonds, cash, or T-bills (please refer to the contest rules for complete details). Results will be tabulated after the close of the year.
2011 Pro-Am Investment Challenge Contest Rules
1. Each participant shall invest in a hypothetical $100,000 portfolio. Each portfolio must have at least two but not more than five securities and each security must account for at least 20 percent of the total portfolio value. No trades are allowed after the initial position is established.
2. No mutual funds ETF’s or money market funds are allowed. Participants can choose from the following investments:
- Common Stock and Preferred Stock: Any stock traded on the NYSE, AMEX, or NASDAQ.
- Bonds: Any corporate bond or U.S. Treasury (excluding mortgage-backed securities and convertible bonds) listed in the Wall Street Journal.
- Cash or 12-month Treasury bills (no money market funds).
Fractional shares are allowed to round off positions, e.g. $20,000 invested in Microsoft at $131¼ would be recorded as 152.381 shares in your portfolio.
3. No securities other than those listed in Rule 2 above shall qualify as investments for this contest.
4. Identify short sales by using parentheses around the dollar amount to be shorted. It is necessary to reserve cash in the amount of the short position. This reserve plus the cash from the short sale will go to cash/treasury bills.
5. Dividends, interest, and other distributions will be held in cash and not reinvested.
6. Only students, alumni, faculty, and administrators of the University of Chicago Booth can enter as Amateurs.
7. All entries must be submitted by mail and must be postmarked by Friday, January 22, 2010.
8. Winners will be determined based upon the highest total return using the closing prices of January 21, 2011 and December 31, 2011.
This contest is designed to be an educational experience. All decisions and interpretations of the rules by the Chicago Booth Alumni Club Pro-Am Investment Challenge Committee are final.
2011 Pro-Am Investment Challenge Entry Form
Send by mail (and please also email) and must be postmarked by Friday, January 21, 2011
Enclosed is $15 for the submitted portfolio using the form below. Make check payable to "The Chicago Booth Alumni Club". Mail Entry Form and check to
Re: 2011 Pro-Am Investment Challenge
Chicago Booth Alumni Club
P.O. Box A3385
Chicago, IL. 60690
Please also email selections to:
Walt Stubbings Email: email@example.com
M.B.A. school and Graduation year:
Daytime telephone number:
Address: ( ) Home ( ) Work
Please provide e-mail address for confirmation:
Ticker Symbol Security Name ($20,000 Minimum)
(Minimum 2 max 5) (No funds or ETF’s)
1. _____________ __________________________ ____________
2. _____________ __________________________ ____________
3. _____________ __________________________ ____________
4. _____________ __________________________ ____________
5. _____________ __________________________ ____________
Investment Total: $100,000
6:00 PM-12:00 PM: CHALLENGE ENTRIES ACCEPTED