Posted On: 2/1/2004 12:00:00 AM
Inaugural (Administrative) Meeting
On Sunday, February 15, 2004, the following GSB'ers met at the Noon O Kabab restaurant in Chicago for lunch to establish a community of Pakistanis and Pakistani-Americans at the Chicago Booth: Omar Daud, '04, Rizwan Ebrahim, '05, K. Rizwan Kadir, '97, Kamran Shaukat Mohammed, '04, Bilal Memon,'04, Karim Shariff, '04, and Bilal Waqar, '04. The event was marked by an instant camaraderie among the attendees and a strong desire to conduct meaningful work. To that end, the following items - as well as their implementation strategies - were debated:
- Recent Information Sessions in Pakistan. Turnout and concerns of applicants to the GSB were discussed. How can we institutionalize this event on an annual basis?
- Current economic/business conditions in Pakistan came up for discussion. How does the job market look? What are the prospects for fresh GSB graduates and experienced professionals? "Cost of Living" adjustment? What are the switching costs for leaving a job in the US and heading home?
- Collaboration between GSB and LUMS and/or IBA also came up. What needs to be done to have LUMS as an International Exchange Program destination for GSB students and vice versa?
- Business partnerships among GSB alumni
- Developing a white paper on Private Equity and Venture Capital in Pakistan
- Organizing road trips for Pakistani and Pakistani-American businesses in Chicago