close window Close Window

Join us for a live chat with George Andrews, associate dean of the Evening MBA and Weekend MBA Programs at Chicago Booth. George and the admissions team will answer questions about the admissions process, tips for application, and other admissions-related questions.

Wednesday, May 16 from 11:00 am to 12:00 pm CT

From -> To Message
Moderator -> Everyone Hello everyone! Thank you for joining us today. Our chat will begin promptly at 12:00 p.m. CDT. Feel free to begin submitting your questions now so we can start providing answers at noon.
Beth -> Everyone Thanks for joining us today. My name is Beth and I'm the Assistant Director of Admissions. Please ask all of your application related questions - I'm here to help! As a reminder, the deadline for Evening MBA for the Autumn quarter is June 28.
Humberto -> Everyone Good afternoon! My name is Humberto Freda and I'm the Assistant Director of Admissions in the Evening MBA and Weekend MBA Programs here at Chicago Booth. We're looking forward to answering all of your questions, so fire away!
Katie -> Everyone Hello Everyone and welcome to the Chat! My name is Katie and I look forward to answering your questions.
George -> Everyone Jen, I lost your question about fundamentals so if this does not answer it fully please resend. the reason we teach the fundamentals of business is that they are as valid and usable in any realm. Tech start-ups eventually need to figure out how to monetize their product. The Facebook CFO will be incredibly busy tomorrow morning discussing the trading multiples the day after the IPO. If he does not understand his Discounted Cash Flow statement and Financial Statement Analysis he will not be long in that role.
We also have classes however, such as the Building the New Venture, that will help you understand the front end of starting your technology business. We want to teach you tools that you can use anywhere and at anytime in your career. Not just those that will get you the "next" job.
Gretchen -> Everyone Thank you for joining the Live Chat. My name is Gretchen Cooper and am here to assist you with your questions. Set a goal to apply to Booth in the 2012-2013 year! Join our Booth community and enhance your professional career path.
George -> Everyone Welcome all, glad to have you joining us!
Esther -> Katie Would the part-time weekend program be difficult to do for someone out of state?
Katie -> Esther Hello Esther, Definitely not. We built the Weekend MBA program for people who want to live and work outside Illinois and attend Chicago Booth. About 80% of the weekend class commutes from outside Illinois from places as far as New York, Bay Area, and Seattle.
maneet -> Humberto I interested in healthcare specialization. I am not from engineering background, so not that great in maths/quant. but I have lots of international healthcare experience as a clinician ..how much would be decent GMAT score
Humberto -> maneet Good question, Maneet. Our mid-80% for GMAT scores of admitted students is 620-750 and our average is near 680 for the Evening MBA program and 700 for the Weekend MBA program. We do not have a minimum score required, but the closer your score is to the average (or above), the better your application will be on this one dimension.
ShreyasSirsi -> Beth I'm currently living in Michigan and am looking at relocating to Chicago, sometime early next year. Would I be able to apply for the evening program and or would I need to apply for the weekend program only?
Beth -> ShreyasSirsi Shrey, thank you for joining our chat. You could certainly apply to the Evening MBA program. You could take evening or weekend classes, whichever works better with your schedule. I would recommend explaining your commute in your application.
Katie -> Everyone For more information on our Weekend MBA look here: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/weekend.aspx
Max -> Gretchen How is Marketing program in Booth and whatis the tuition fee for that program each year?
Gretchen -> Max Hello Max: Booth has an incredibly strong marketing curriculum with courses that run the spectrum from consumer behavior, to development of new products and services, to pricing, to digital marketing strategy, to lab courses. You can search the marketing course offerings here http://boothportal.chicagobooth.edu/portal/server.pt/community/course_search/205. We also have a robust student community in marketing, including our part-time Booth Marketing Club http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/groups/bmc/. At Booth, you can absolutely set yourself up to make an impact in a marketing career. The tuition page can be viewed: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/admissions/costs.aspx.
Shrey -> Beth What is an acceptable GMAT Score to get into either of the Part time MBA programs?
Beth -> Shrey Shrey, the GMAT range for our admitted students is 620-750 for both the Evening MBA and Weekend MBA Programs. However, students have been admitted with scores higher and lower.
Esther -> Beth Are classes every weekend? Is there a sample schedule of classes online to view?
Beth -> Esther Ester, Weekend MBA students have class every weekend, from 9am-noon and/or 1:30-4:30pm. You can search for the courses available online at http://boothportal.chicagobooth.edu/portal/server.pt/community/course_search/205.
JenEzrow -> George The news is full of examples of leaders and CEOs involved in unethical behavior. To what extent does Booth promote ethics in the business environment?
George -> JenEzrow Ethics is a big part of many classes, some, like Power and Influence, it is explicitly taught. Others, like Macro or Corporate Finance, more implicitly as you begin to understand how eruption causes dead weight loss. Additionally, the only mandatory part of the education is Effective Leadership where you will focus on ethics and take a look at how leaders fail and what the things are that often cause this failure. You will then look at your own personality profile and get an evaluation of the potential that you too may have these same tendencies.
Gretchen -> Everyone An update about the Booth curriculum: this summer Booth is launching a new series of experiential lab courses for part-time students. Projects in the series will focus on operations, managerial strategy and social enterprise. Students will work with real-world firms.
Marta -> Humberto Hello everybody, thank you all for organizing this chat. In my case, I am a nearly 30 old economist, working as an international business development consultant. I want to grow in my proffesional career and specialize in finance. What is more appropiate? a MBA and then chose finance subjects, or a Master in Finance (I guess this one if your younger stundents)
Humberto -> Marta Marta - thanks for the question. A Master's program in finance will have you focus specifically on the study of finance, and less - if at all - on other areas of business. Whereas the MBA will give you exposure to a breadth of academic areas, including strategy, marketing, operations, entrepreneurship, and others. At Booth, you can dive deeply into finance while also gaining exposure to the other areas of business. So, the answer is "it depends," and it would be incumbent on you to evaluate the specific programs in which you are interested and find where you think you "fit" the best. I would be happy to provide more information on our finance coursework, so feel free to reach out to me directly at humberto.freda@ChicagoBooth.edu.
Julia -> Katie Hello! Do you have any tips for the interview?
Katie -> Julia Hi Julia: The interview is a time for you to have an in-depth conversation with a current student or alumnus. You interview after the application is submitted and the process of completing your application is the best preparation. I also recommend looking at our Student Groups to see which you are interested in participating. Here's the link: Student Groups http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/beyondacad/PTstudentgroups.aspx
Sean -> Beth I held this job for ~5 years and I plan on having the first letter be from my former lead analyst so having a second letter come from here could be overkill.
Beth -> Sean Sean, I think the best solution would be to have both your father (yes, we will acknowledge some bias but he is also your work partner) and either your banker or former supervisor also submit a letter of recommendation. If you have any additional questions, you can always email me at Beth.Daily@chicagobooth.edu
Shrey -> George I am looking at a career with Mergers and Acquisitions as my primary focus, post MBA. What courses does Booth offer to help me with this career goal?
George -> Shrey Some that come to mind, Financial Statement Analysis, Accounting and Financial Analysis 1 and 2. Corporate Finance... there are many more. Call us or send us an email and we will give you a complete list of recommended classes.
FUN FACT -> Moderator Hear from current students about their Booth experience. Check out their unique stories at http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/transform/
SebiT -> Beth I am planning to apply for the winter 2013 evening program. As I am living outside of Chicago, I have to relocate to Chicago after obtaining admission. Should I provide an offer letter at the time of submitting the application?
Beth -> SebiT Thank you for joining us today. You do not need to provide an offer letter, but I would recommend discussing this in your application. Most applicants utilize the optional essay to discuss items such as this.
maneet -> Gretchen so how long does it take to finish the program, if somone is interested in only 1 major( for example I am interested in Healthcare specialization)....and not too much interested in other stuff
Gretchen -> maneet Hello maneet: the pace and the duration is up to you! Booth is the most flexible MBA Program. On average, our Evening MBA and Weekend MBA students take 2 courses per quarter, that is 8 courses per year and therefore complete the degree in 2.5 years. However, you can speed up or slow down this time. The majority of students earn between 2-4 concentrations. You can earn the health care certificate program in addition to concentrations.
Abhilesh -> Beth Can weekend students graduate earlier than the stipulated duration of the course if they chose to attend evening classes for some semesters?
Beth -> Abhilesh Abhilesh, yes, Weekend students can graduate earlier if their schedule permits them to take more than two classes per quarter. We have several Weekend students who also take classes on Friday evenings.
Yongho. -> Humberto Thinking about applying for Winter 2013. Would it be OK to receive letter of recommendation now in May and submit in October with application?
Humberto -> Yongho. Good question, Yongho. In short, the answer to your question is "yes." We prefer letters of recommendation to not be older than 6 to 9 months at the time you submit your application. If your application is complete earlier than the October 5th deadline, you are more then welcome to submit it sooner and receive an admissions decision within 4 to 6 weeks.
maneet -> George secondly if someone does Prerequisites courses online or in their local state colleges.. does booth recognize those efforts.. or do ask people to repeat basic stuff like accounts etc
George -> maneet Most of our prerequisites are not hard and if you feel that you have that basic knowledge down then we allow you to take the class. In some classes you have to contact the faculty and share your classes or experience and get their permission. Because we are so flexible, we allow people to take any level of classes they want, meaning if you have had basic accounting, you are welcome to take any level of accounting class all the way to a PhD level class.
Moderator -> Everyone For those of you that joined us recently, welcome! And please begin submitting your questions now.
Rajiv -> George Hi, I am 26 years old with a Masters in Public Health and in my first year of real-world career experience. After how many years of work experience would an MBA be appropriate?
George -> Rajiv at any point it time. recent studies show that those who come back earlier make more money over the course of their career. we have a program for people, like yourself, who have less than three years of work experience. I am going to put some information up for you to see on the program, it is called the Chicago Business Fellows.
rhogan -> Gretchen Is there an International Business concentration/focus for an Evening MBA student? Even an opportunity to do a short study abroad if my company would allow? Or perhaps an opportunity to work on a foreign language in addition to the MBA classwork?
Gretchen -> rhogan rhogan: Yes, Booth is certainly a business school who has a fantastic international presence and therefore we offer ample opportunities for our students to take international related courses and study abroad. You can earn a concentration in International Business. View more about our IBEP options on well. http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/academics/international/index.aspx
chris_pearson -> Beth How recently should I have worked with the people that write my letters of recommendation? Specifically, would a person I served under in the military 3 years ago be considered relevant?
Beth -> chris_pearson Chris, given the unique perspective this individual could add to your application, I would recommend asking them to write you a recommendation. If you are worried about the gap, you can either mention this in why you chose the recommender or in your optional essay question.
Swathi -> Gretchen Hi. I applied to Booth for the summer term and could not get in. I am interested to reapply and would like to know how to improve my application. What is the wait period to reapply
Gretchen -> Swathi Swathi: Hello, it is Gretchen here. I would be happy to talk with you about your the reapplication process. You can call me on Friday at 312 464 8703.
SebiT -> Beth Thanks Beth for the answer. If I apply to the evening program and for some reason, later my relocation (to Chicago) gets delayed, is it possible to transfer my admission to the subsequent evening/weekend program?
Beth -> SebiT Sebi, students do have the option for a one time transfer between the Evening and Weekend programs. You would work with our student services team at the time to process this paperwork.
traluca81 -> George What percentage of your full-time or part-time MBA students come from a Retail background?
George -> traluca81 we are not sure of that number, but I can think of individuals who are in the program who do. if you want to speak to someone let us know and we can hook you up with them.
we also have one of our large meetings called Chicago Conversations on Retail. This year it is held in Paris so it may not be that easy for you to go, but we can take your name and let you know when it is back in the states.
Jay -> Katie What do students working a full time job and attending an evening MBA site as the largest challenge?
Katie -> Jay Hi Jay: Our students find that time management of their work, school, and personal lives along with setting expectations for those people in their life is the biggest challenge. They also say by the time they graduate, they are incredibly efficient when it comes to getting things done.
cscott -> Humberto How often, if at all, do you find students having difficulty juggling class and work in the Evening MBA program? Thanks.
Humberto -> cscott The typical course load for an Evening MBA or Weekend MBA student is two classes per quarter, and most students find this manageable with work and other obligations. Students also have access to data which indicates how much time, on average, students spent working on their classes per week, outside of the three hours in class. The flexibility of the program also allows for students to take more or less than the average two classes per quarter, should their work or personal lives call for it. I would be happy to discuss your particular situation in more depth, so feel free to reach out to me directly at humberto.freda@ChicagoBooth.edu.
A-Double -> Gretchen What does B-/C+ student (GPA lower due to liberal courses, major GPA A-/B+) and lower 600 on GMAT need to do to get into part-time MBA program?
Gretchen -> A-Double A-Double: Hello. If you have not taken the GMAT test more than one time, we would recommend that you do so. Booth always take the highest total GMAT score and the majority of our applicants take the test more than one time. Regarding the GPA we see a wide range of GPAs as it also depends on what courses you took and where you went to school. Booth also takes a holistic approach when reviewing the application.
hkumar440 -> Beth Hi, thanks for taking out time to answer questions. Do you have any counsel on preparing for the admissions interview?
Beth -> hkumar440 hkumar440, your interview will be a one-on-one conversation with a member of our Admissions Committee (so either a current student or alum) for about 45-60 minutes. They will only have your resume to review prior to the interview and will ask questions related to your work experience, why you want an MBA, why Chicago Booth (similar to the essay questions). If you know your resume and your essays, you'll be in great shape for the interview.
Shrey -> George How do the career fairs differ for Part Time MBA Students, when compared to a Full Time MBA Career fair?
George -> Shrey Not sure if I understand what you mean by career fairs, but if it is what we define as career fairs there is none. We allow all our students to attend public career fairs. If you mean more career events in general, here are the differences:
Part-Time students may not attend internship recruiting events that are held on campus, as internship recruiting is held just for full-time.
If it is recruiting for a full-time role then yes all students who are eligible are welcome to attend, including full and part-time.
Hope that helps, if there are more subtle nuances to your question that I missed, please let me know.
FUN FACT -> Moderator Hear from current students about their Booth experience. Check out their unique stories at http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/transform/
A-Double -> Beth I will be visiting Chicago the week of Memorial Day. I'd like to visit Booth during the visit and talk about part-time program at U of Chicago.
Beth -> A-Double Enjoy your Memorial Day as our office will be closed. We would be happy to set up some time to chat while you are in town. Please email our office at eveningweekend-admissions@chicagobooth.edu.
Ben -> Humberto My background is 10 years as an Engineer in Cellular Wireless Industry and my degree is BSEE in Electrical Engineering from India. So for MBA, do I need to take any prerequisite Management or Finance Accounting classes?
Humberto -> Ben Thanks for the question, Ben. In short, no, we do not have any prerequisite coursework prior to applying or joining the MBA programs here at Booth. Although it's not mandatory, you do have the opportunity to take Booth classes as a non-degree student through the Graham School's GSAL program, and you can find more information about that program here https://grahamschool.uchicago.edu/php/gsal/courses-business.php. Up to three Booth courses through GSAL can be counted toward your Booth degree requirements, should you matriculate to one of the programs.
maneet -> Katie if someone has a big break in their career..(1-2 years)...just before their MBA application.. does that look negative on the application
Katie -> maneet Hi Maneet: It depends on what you were doing with your time during the break. For example, if you were volunteering or traveling the world and it enriched your life and your story, that is a positive. Most importantly, we are concerned with what you are doing now and are looking for those who are working full-time.
Charlie -> Katie Assuming 2 courses per quarter, how much class time is that a week for the Evening MBA program? Thanks.
Katie -> Charlie Hi Charlie: Each class meets 1 time per week from 6-9pm. Saturday classes are from 9 to noon or 1:30-4:30pm
SebiT -> Beth Thanks Beth: If I apply to the weekend program which starts in 2013, can I start any classes (electives) earlier than the actual class start date (as the 2013 weekend program starts only in September)?
Beth -> SebiT Sebi, you could take classes as a non-degree seeking student through the Graham School of General Studies' Graduate Student-at-Large program ( for more info: https://grahamschool.uchicago.edu/php/gsal/). Only three courses taken as a GSAL student can be applied toward your MBA after you start the program. We recommend taking one of the foundation courses (financial accounting, microeconomics, or business stats).
Gretchen -> Everyone What events should you consider attending as you move through the application process? Attend an Information Session (the next event is on Friday, June 1st 6:30-8:30pm at Gleacher), attend a Class Visit and a Lunch and Learn (the next event is on June 20).
Moderator -> Everyone We are almost half way through the chat and have had great questions so far. Please continue to submit your questions, we will try to answer all of them.
Pedro -> Humberto I am a finance professional that has also started a business as a hobby. If my focus in pursuing a Chicago Booth MBA is on further developing my career in international finance, is my side-business even worth mentioning as part of the application process if it is only a hobby? I am not sure if bringing up this hobby business during the application process would help or hurt my chances of being admitted to Booth.
Humberto -> Pedro Pedro, good question. We encourage our applicants to disclose any and all information about their professional pursuits, entrepreneurial ventures, and hobbies/extra-curricular activities in the application. Since it's sounds like more of a business venture than purely a hobby or activity, I would encourage you to include it in the "employment" section of the application.
Ben -> Beth What is the minimum GMAT required for Part Time MBA? What is the normal salary expected for a fresh Part Time MBA graduate with 10 years of experience before the MBA in wireless engineering?
Beth -> Ben Ben, our admitted students generally have GMAT scores which fall within the 620-750 range. Regarding your question about salary expectations, can you email me at Beth.Daily@chicagobooth.edu and I will follow-up with our career services team.
Rahul -> George Do PT MBA students make career transition regularly? For example from Software engineering to "management consulting" or "general management position fortune 500 companies"? If yes, do you have any statistics on that? Is it possible to connect me with alumni who were able to make these transition from software engineering background?
George -> Rahul Yes, this happens all the time. It is the rule rather than the exception. Here is a link to our employment report: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/employmentreport/index.aspx
Julia -> Gretchen I am applying for the weekend program but I work in Hyde Park for the College side of the University. Is it possible to take an occasional class with full-time students?
Gretchen -> Julia Julia, Yes! As the faculty are the same for the full-time and the part-time programs, you can take classes in another program. This is a great idea for you to take classes during your work day with our full-time students. We are thrilled you are applying to the Weekend MBA Program. Reach out any time with questions. Gretchen.Cooper@ChicagoBooth.edu.
Shrey -> Katie What are the typical acceptance rates for the Weekend and Evening MBA Programs? Do both these programs offer the same flexibility in terms of core courses and Electives?
Katie -> Shrey Hi Shrey: We do not publish our acceptance rates, but it is equally competitive to be admitted to the Evening MBA and Weekend MBA programs. Both programs offer the same amount of flexibility and require 20 courses to graduate, 11 of which are electives. You can read more about the curriculum here: Curriculum http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/academics/curriculum/index.aspx
traluca81 -> George Thanks for the reply, George. I would love to get in touch with MBA students involved in Retail. I guess my concern was with Retail being considered a "credible" enough field to be coming from at the time of application. Do you prefer candidates that are currently in Retail management or past management experience is good enough? I am currently a Beauty Advisor for estee Lauder cosmetics at Saks fifth avenue Chicago. I worked as a business manager for estee lauder at Nordstrom Michigan ave between Sept 2009-December 2010.
George -> traluca81 Traluca, my sister is a retail Beauty Advisory for Clinique, so how can I say we don't value it!?
Seriously, we love diversity and we define it broadly, meaning we want people from different backgrounds and jobs, so you would be welcome to apply. Your current work as advisor or your past work as a business manager would both be of interest to us.
Jay -> Humberto If travel for work interferes with class are there remote ways to join classes or is any travel that would interfere with class discouraged?
Humberto -> Jay Thanks for the question, Jay. Unfortunately, it's not possible to join classes remotely, as all instruction is done in the classroom and classes are not web-cast. For individuals with regular travel commitments, the Weekend MBA program might be the best option. If your travel is more sporadic, then you can, at times, attend alternate sections of the same course at a different time in that week. Many of our faculty teach multiple sections of the same course in a given quarter, and most of them are open to students switching sections to accommodate professional or personal situations on a week-by-week basis.
chris_pearson -> George Is there a limit to the number of recipients for the Yellow Ribbon Program? If so, how often do they turn over?
George -> chris_pearson No. We honor all eligible individuals. Not sure I understand the 'turnover" question. The yellow ribbon program is paid out for their entire time with us here. If you can tell me more about the turnover question it would help me know how to answer it. Sorry Chris for my ignorance on that descriptor.
Moderator -> Everyone For those of you interested in Marketing - Check out our newly refreshed Marketing at Chicago site http://www.chicagobooth.edu/macb/ Learn about Chicago Booth's unique approach to marketing, our faculty, Booth alumni leading successful marketing careers, top recruiters sourcing Chicago talent for marketing, and more!
Shrey -> Beth Beth, going back to my earlier question:I might be commuting from Michigan to Chicago for my Part Time MBA Program, and I would prefer to apply for the Evening Program. If I do not get accepted into the Evening MBA Program, would I need to re-apply for the Weekend Program, or would the same application be valid? If re-application is required, would I be able to re-apply for the same term?
Beth -> Shrey Shrey, if you are not accepted to the Evening program, you would need to re-apply to the Weekend program. We ask re-applicants to wait 6 months before reapplying. However, if you fall within the 6 months, you could apply the Evening program for fall quarter and then re-apply to the Weekend program.
rhogan -> Gretchen From an insiders perspective, what would you say separates Booth from other part-time programs in the Chicago-land area. Thanks for all the info.
Gretchen -> rhogan rhogan: Great question. Booth separates itself from other programs by offering the option to go full-time or part-time and earn the same MBA degree! With this comes the same access to the same alumni network and community as well as the career service's offerings. This is all a benefit for you and your career.
maneet -> George do the part time students have salaries comparable to full time students
George -> maneet let me assume you mean existing salaries and not entering salaries. No, the part-time students command higher salaries than the full-time. With part-timers you pay for the MBA and their past experiences.
Rajiv -> Humberto Thanks for answering my previous question! What scholarship or grant opportunities are available to alleviate the tuition burden? What characteristics make a person eligible for these? What proportion of students benefit from these?
Humberto -> Rajiv Good question, Rajiv. Booth part-time students are eligible for loan-based financial aid. Unfortunately, scholarships are not available to part-time students at Booth, and that's true of just about all part-time MBA programs around the country. You can find more information about financial aid here http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/admissions/financialaid.aspx.
Rajiv -> Beth How much emphasis is given to the resume in comparison to the full employment disclosure in the application?
Beth -> Rajiv Rajiv, both components are important to the application, but I would recommend putting more detail into your uploaded resume. If you have any questions, you can email our office at eveningweekend-admissions@chicagobooth.edu
chris_pearson -> George George, I am referring to this, "Under this program, five veterans are eligible to receive $10,000 in yellow ribbon money from the school, and the VA will match these funds. Students are eligible for these funds on a first come, first serve basis..." which I found here http://student.chicagobooth.edu/group/afa/gi_bill.htm
George -> chris_pearson Chris, that is incorrect information. It is old, we now offer it to everyone eligible. Thank you for pointing this out, we will update that immediately.
Pedro -> George What is the Yellow Ribbon Program?
George -> Pedro For all who do not know about yellow ribbon, it is a program for individuals who served in the armed forces who are eligible for tuition subsidization from the US government that the school matches.
Javilono -> Gretchen HiMy question is regarding career services. This is my first year working in Chicago, in TAS department of a Big Four. I work as Manager in Business Valuation and M&A practice (I come from Madrid office).I am planning to study your "Weekend MBA", searching for a change to Private Equity or Investment Banking firm, while I am coursing your MBA. I am 33.I am concern if study your MBA is a good way to get my purpose of "job change". What is your advice?. I guess that there are many students with similar situation and you have a good track record to give me an opinion...Many Thanks
Gretchen -> Javilono Hello Javilono: Career changes happen in both the full-time and part-time programs; however the full-time programs is designed for students to have an internship between the first year and the second year, which may be extremely helpful and necessary to move into private equity or investment banking. My suggestion would be for you to visit both the full-time and the part-time programs at Booth when you are next in Chicago.
Katie -> Everyone For those of you who want to see what courses are offered, you can use the Course Search tool here: http://boothportal.chicagobooth.edu/portal/server.pt/community/course_search/205
Arlene -> Humberto Hello! I have heard that expectations and class workload of students within the Evening/Weekend MBA programs differ from those for students in the Executive MBA program. Would this be related to the type of student that would be likely to be in one program vs. another?
Humberto -> Arlene Thanks for the question, Arlene. Regardless of which Booth program you choose, the faculty and your fellow students will expect that you are diligent and hard-working, both in and out of the classroom. If you have additional questions about the differences across the programs in terms of classes, structure, and student profiles, please reach out to me directly at humberto.freda@ChicagoBooth.edu
Jeff -> Gretchen How do recruiting companies look at MBA graduates with engineering background (past experience as an engineer) for a general management position? Are they at a disadvantage compared to students with finance/business background?
Gretchen -> Jeff Jeff, I do not think there is a disadvantage to you from coming from an engineering background. When you are speaking with recruiters it would be important for you to share your reasons about your move from engineering to a GM position, which many of our alumni hold positions in. We see a good deal of applicants with engineering backgrounds.
Shrey -> Humberto Is the curriculum the same for the Weekend MBA and the Evening MBA? Does it differ from the Full Time MBA? Are professors the same for both the Part Time and Full Time MBA programs?
Humberto -> Shrey Great question, Shrey. Yes, the curricular requirements are identical across the Evening, Weekend, and Full-Time programs here at Booth, including degree requirements and concentrations. The only exception is the leadership requirement, the execution of which differs between full-time and part-time. Also, our faculty teach across all Booth MBA programs, often times teaching multiple sections of the same course across programs in a given quarter.
G -> George Hello, I am a IT Risk management consultant working with Deloitte. I am currently at a career point where I am being considered for a Managerial role which involves project management and delivery, client management, vendor management. I would like to stay in the same industry and was wondering what value would an evening mba program add to my career both from a career progression and widened career opportunities. Also which course would be most appropriate for candidates like us. Also, if I take up a course it would add up significantly to my debt and would that be a good business consideration. I am an Indian national working on L1 visa for the firm and would like to know if candidates with such visa be allowed to take up the course. Thanks Gaurav
George -> G Gaurav, there is so much here that it would take me the remainder of the time to answer. will you please contact us at 312-464-8700 or write us at eveningweekend-admissions@chicagobooth.edu
Very briefly, yes the education would serve you greatly. First, it provides you skills that will help in your next role, but even more so for what you don't know is even coming down the road. Will you switch careers, will you join a different firm in a different role, but even if you stay in the same firm you most certainly will not stay where you are now and pretty soon you will need to delop a better understanding of the full firm and not just your functional area, not to mention all of the Managing in the Work Place classes that will help you as you grow and manage ever larger groups. I do not think L1 Visa holders not allowed to study, but I am not a visa expert. we could certainly find out for you if you contact us.
Moderator -> Everyone Our chat will be ending in 15 minutes. Please submit your final questions so we can answer all of them!
Moderator -> Everyone SAVE THE DATE! We are hosting our annual Booth Women Connect Conference on Friday, September 21, 2012 at Gleacher Center downtown Chicago. The conference features our strong female community, including students, alumnae, faculty, and staff!
George -> Everyone Did you know: The next deadline for our program is June 28th
George -> Everyone Fun Fact: We just admitted 71 students into our Summer program who will be joining us next month.
SebiT -> Gretchen I wish to work in the consulting industry during the time of the MBA and immediately after the MBA and I plan to focus on Educational segment primarily. Later I want to start a business focusing on Educational industry. Is there any current student or alumni who has similar career path, with whom I can talk to in order to get his/her perspective on the opportunities available at Chicago Booth and how best I could utilize those? Or would you suggest me to attend an information session instead?
Gretchen -> SebiT SebiT: I would suggest attending our Information Session on Friday, June 1 if you are available. I can also connect you with our students/alumni who are in the consulting/education space. Booth has some great alumns in the mission-driven and the education space and the Booth MBA has been incredibly helpful to them in their career path.
Grace -> Katie Hello. I currently hold an MBA and am highly interested in taking entrepreneurship courses. What is the application process in doing so?
Katie -> Grace Hi Grace: University of Chicago offers graduate student at large courses through the Graham School. Students are non-degree seeking and register after the Booth students. You can read more here: https://grahamschool.uchicago.edu/php/gsal/prospective-students.php
Sean -> George What do you believe separates your entrepreneurship classes from your peers?
George -> Sean Experiential. We have Groupon and Grub Hub etc. who bring real world problem in for our students to work on. Also, we have a very large group of investors who work with our students to evaluate and give feedback and often if they like the idea invest, in our students start-ups. We also offer incubation space for several of the best start-ups of the year. Lastly, our students, raised more money for their businesses last year, over $185M, than any other school.
Shrey -> Beth Does having another Postgraduate degree affect your chances for admission into the Part Time MBA Program?
Beth -> Shrey Shrey, your post graduate education is one component of your application. Having a degree won't make or break your application as 30% of our incoming students have advanced degrees.
rhogan -> Humberto My GMAT falls outside of the ranges given, and I have taken the test multiple times so I am not planning on taking again. I feel confident in the rest of my application and feel that there are plenty of areas to show this so I was not going to address it in the optional essay, but thought I would ask the admissions team your opinion on this. Thanks!
Humberto -> rhogan We encourage our applicants to try to improve every aspect of their application until they feel it is at its best. Specifically with the GMAT, since we only evaluate the scores from the test with your highest overall score, there is no detriment to your application by taking it more than once. That said, if you feel you have put together the best possible application that you can, then we encourage you to submit it when it's ready.
Rajiv -> George What are some common mistakes made by applicants?
George -> Rajiv They worry about grades too much. They focus on classes that help them get the "next" job but neglect classes that will serve them well later in their career.
AK -> Beth How easy is it to transfer from an evening/weekend MBA to a full time MBA? Have there been any such cases?
Beth -> AK AK, we do not offer the option of transferring between the part time and full program. You would need to withdraw from the part time program to apply to the full time program. Since the degree earned, courses and faculty are the same, we encourage individuals to apply to the program which best suits their needs.
Rajiv -> Katie Does the age range of applicants match the age range of admits? As you can tell, I'm concerned that if I work for a few more years, I will be 'too old' and won't be able to compete as well for an MBA.
Katie -> Rajiv Hi Rajiv: I have never compared the age range of applicants to admitted students, but generally speaking they are about the same age. We have students from 22 to 62 so I would not be worried about being too old. We want you to apply when you are ready to get your MBA.
Gretchen -> Everyone Are you curious as to what our alumni are doing now? Each year a select group are awarded a Distinguished Award and you can read more about them: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/news/2012-4-30-aa.aspx.
Raluca_T -> Beth Do you encourage student employment? Are there opportunities for assistantships for part-time MBAs?
Beth -> Raluca_T Most of our students are full time working professionals and thus do not need student employment. Some of our students are teaching assistants for the faculty but work with the professors to obtain these positions.
Yongho. -> George It appears that many of booth graduates are pursuing career in Consulting & financial industry. How would one with Product Development & manufacturing backgound blend in & benefit from Booth MBA?
George -> Yongho. Yongho, are you looking to stay in Product Development and Manufacturing? If so, we have some of the best classes on product developmental at Booth. They get the best marks and students love them. But more generally, it depends on what you what want to do after graduation. Why don't you call or email us so we can talk about your specifics. 312-464-8700 or eveningweekend-admissions@chicagobooth.edu
Arlene -> Beth If I have started my application for the Fall term, and have had already one letter of support submitted, but would like to change my application to the Winter term is there a way to transfer that letter of support to a Winter term application? Thanks!
Beth -> Arlene Arlene, we are currently in the process of transitioning to a new application system. If your account has been created in our new system (http://www.chicagobooth.edu/apply/shome.aspx/), I can easily move your application forward. If your application is not in the new system, you will need to create a new account and a new application. You can then email me at Beth.Daily@chicagobooth.edu and I can transfer over your information.
Charlie -> Humberto Do Evening students ever skip quarters, or do most shoot for the 8 classes a year? thanks.
Humberto -> Charlie Good question, Charlie. Our students do have the opportunity to take quarters off from class, and many will when their personal or professional lives call for it. You can also take just one class or more than two classes in a quarter, and the flexibility of the program allows you to do what is best for you on a quarterly basis.
Katie -> Everyone For those of you interested in studying abroad, take a look at our short term options (2-3 weeks) here: http://programs.chicagobooth.edu/international/ibep/short-term-locations.aspx
Moderator -> Everyone Thank you for joining us today. We got through all of your questions!
Shrey -> Gretchen How important is the GMAt score? From information on your website, the GMAT and GPA are normally clubbed together in the same "bucket". Does it matter if one is better than the other? Are they both looked individually or togethe? Are the scores looked at with objective eyes, or against the rest of the applicants?
Gretchen -> Shrey Hello Shrey: The GPA and GMAT are both reviewed. As the GPA is not an aspect of the application that an applicant can change, I would recommend focusing on the GMAT test as this is an aspect that you can control and take more than one time.
Beth -> Everyone Thank you for joining us today. If you have any additional questions, you can always reach us at 312.464.8700 or eveningweekend-admissions@chicagobooth.edu. As a reminder, the application deadline for the Evening MBA for the Autumn quarter is June 28. You can start your application today at http://www.chicagobooth.edu/apply/shome.aspx/.
George -> Everyone Thanks all for joining us. Great chat. I hope you got what you wanted out of it, but if not, please call or write us and we would love to speak with you 1-1.
eveningweekend-admissions@chicagobooth.edu
Gretchen -> Everyone Keep Chicago Booth at the top of your list and as always reach out to us any time.
Moderator -> Everyone The chat session has now ended. Thank you everyone! The chat transcript will be posted on Monday, May 21 at http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/chat/index.aspx
Katie -> Everyone Please come see us for an Information Session to learn more. Next one is June 1 at 6:30pm. Register here: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/admissions/events/openhouses.aspx
Humberto -> Everyone Thank you all for joining us today. We will look forward to connecting with you again soon at one of our events in Chicago or on the road!