close window Close Window

Join us for a live chat with George Andrews, associate dean of the Evening MBA and Weekend MBA Programs at Chicago Booth. George and the admissions team will answer questions about the admissions process, tips for application, and other admissions-related questions.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 12:00 PM CST

From -> To Message
Moderator -> Everyone Hello everyone! We are excited for our live chat today. We will begin promptly at 12:00 p.m. CDT. Please feel free to begin submitting your questions.
Moderator -> Everyone Welcome to our live chat. Happy Valentine's Day - hope you fall in love with Booth today!
Moderator -> Everyone Thank you for joining us today. We will be answering all your questions about the Admissions process, the application, the Booth community, and so on. Please begin submitting your questions.
Beth -> Everyone Thanks for joining us today. My name is Beth and I'm the Assistant Director of Admissions. Please ask all of your application related questions - I'm here to help!
Katie -> Everyone This is Katie and welcome to our Live Chat! We are here to answer questions about community, curriculum or anything else you want to learn about.
Humberto -> Everyone Welcome to our chat! My name is Humberto Freda and I'm the Assistant Director of Admissions. We are looking forward to answering all of your questions about the Booth Evening MBA and Weekend MBA programs, so fire away!
Gretchen -> Everyone Welcome to the Live Chat! My name Gretchen Cooper and I am the director of admissions. This is a great way to learn more about Booth and to put together a plan for your application process. We would like to see your application in the 2012 year.
MarineMorauw -> Beth While pursuing my undergraduate degree I studied abroad for a semester. Should I list the foreign school on the application or should I only list schools from which I obtained a degree?
Beth -> MarineMorauw While pursuing my undergraduate degree I studied abroad for a semester. Should I list the foreign school on the application or should I only list schools from which I obtained a degree?
Srinivas -> Beth Hello, I have a masters in Comp Sci and 8+ yrs of work experience, and GMAT score of 690. I am interested in partitime MBA program, but I have not applied to Chicago Booth MBA program. What are my chances of receiving admission if I apply for Spring 2012?
Beth -> Srinivas Srinivas, the application deadline for the Spring 2012 quarter has passed. However, you are welcome to submit for the Summer quarter (deadline April 6) or Autumn quarter (June 28) for the Evening program. 80% of our admitted students have a GMAT score within the 620-750 range and our average is 680. Given your background, you are like many of our students. We welcome you to join us at Info Session, with the next one on Friday, March 2nd.
Markeisha -> Humberto I will be taking a short-term work assignment in Singapore beginning next month. How might I involve myself in Booth's Singapore campus community while there? Excited to get to know Booth from that perspective as well.
Humberto -> Markeisha Markeisha - Booth has a permanent campus in Singapore at the historic House of Tan Yeok Nee, which is home to our Executive MBA Program - Asia. You're welcome to plan a visit to their campus, and here's some information on how to do so http://www.chicagobooth.edu/execmba/campuslocations/singapore/index.aspx
sathwik -> Beth Hi, I wanted to get a sense of the total PMBA expenses including books and other fees.
Beth -> sathwik Good question. Tuition is $5,266 per course, with 20 courses required. For other costs, please visit http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/admissions/costs.aspx
TonyRice -> Gretchen It is wonderful that you have a feature to pre-submit your questions! I was planning on attending the chat session today, but my boss just scheduled a meeting for noon. Here is my first question: It is said that Booth does not teach trends, but only successful and established business models. How does Booth address changing trends in business such as the rise of tech companies and social networking?
Gretchen -> TonyRice Hello TonyRice: Good luck at your meeting today. Yes, Booth teaches the timeless business fundamentals; however the faculty have a great deal of flexibility to bring in real-world material each class. Also, each year classes are either added or taken away. There is a great technology strategy class this quarter and we are thrilled to have the founders of GroupOn teaching again at Booth teaching about why start-ups succeed or fail.
Harit -> Beth Hi, I am intersted regarding Part Time MBA at Booth. I have these questions:> How many Credit hours are needed to do Part Time MBA?> Do I have to finish in 2 Years, or I can extend it based on work and personal stituations? If yes then what is the max limit to Graduate?> Is GMAT Mandatory for part Time Admmision?
Beth -> Harit Harit, you need to complete 20 courses to earn your MBA at Chicago Booth. You have 5 years to complete your degree, although most of our students complete it within 2-3 years. The GMAT is required for all applicants.
TaahaHaq -> Katie Due to my travel schedule, I am traveling during the week. Could you provide some insight as to when students typically meet for group work and social activities? Is there any insight you can provide from a student's perspective on things they have done differently to cope with work and school responsibilities.
Katie -> TaahaHaq Many of our students travel for work. If you know your travel will consistently be Monday-Thursday, I recommend applying to the Weekend MBA as you will have first dibs on Friday evening and Saturday am and pm classes. If your travel is intermittent, then you the Evening MBA may still be your best option. That said, all of our students are busy and maintaining full-time jobs while attending Booth. Therefore, many of the group "meetings" occur over conference call or during the lunch hour on Saturday. I hear from our students that they learn how to pick group members based on similar schedules and study habits.
Sreeni -> Beth Hi Beth, For 2 years we need to complete 20 Mandatory courses?
Beth -> Sreeni Sreeni, you have 5 years to complete the 20 courses, but most of our students graduate in 2-3 years.
Srini -> Humberto Can you please start with high level schedule for Evening MBA start, when admissions cut off etc?
Humberto -> Srini Srini - the Evening MBA Program admits students for all four academic quarters each year. The Winter, Spring, and Fall quarters include 10 weeks of instruction and one week of finals, and Summer consists of nine weeks of instruction with a week of finals. To get a better idea of our admissions cycles, take a look at the following section of our website http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/admissions/index.aspx
Tim -> Katie Hi.I am Tim.I am aiming at applying for 2013 intake and would like to know what is the minimum no of years required in terms of work experience
Katie -> Tim Tim - Our average number of years of work experience is 5-6 years. However, we admit applicants across a wide range as some pursue the MBA later in their careers and some earlier. For those with 0-3 years of work experience, Chicago Business Fellows is the best option. You can read more here: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/academics/cbf.aspx
interestedinbooth -> Gretchen I have heard that entrepreneurship is very hot at Booth right now. Can you share some of the things that are going on? What makes entrepreneurship at Booth so highly ranked?
Gretchen -> interestedinbooth nterestedinbooth: You are correct that entrepreneurship is in full-swing at Booth! We have the Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship, which supports the classes offered, the faculty who teach and the events and competitions related to entrepreneurship. We hope you visit Professor Wortmann's class. You can view more out entrepreneurship: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/academics/curriculum/concentrations/entrep.aspx
sathwik -> Beth Hi ,in my organization our reporting managers on paper are resource managers. But the actual managers,I work with and work for are different. Is it acceptable to get letters of recommendation from managers who are not listed as my reporting managers in my org hierarchy and are more in tune with the quality of my work?
Beth -> sathwik Sathwik, good question. While we prefer at least one of your recommenders be your direct supervisor, we also want you to submit strong letters. Please feel free to have your actual managers submit a letter of recommendation and explain in the question "why did you pick the people you did for your recommenders" to help us understand who you asked.
Shawn_M. -> Katie Hello everyone. Are the essay word limits firm? How would an extra 10-15 words be viewed?
Katie -> Shawn_M. Shawn_M - Hello. You should try to stay close to the word limits, but it is okay to go a little over. The system will not cut you off and we will read the whole essay as it is submitted.
Tim -> Gretchen Is there a placement statistics for no of weekend MBA students who secured jobs through Career services
Gretchen -> Tim Tim: Booth has a very large and active Career Service team who helps our students define his/her career goals. You can work with Career Services from the first day at LAUNCH. I can share more about the movement of our students. You can reach me at gretchen.cooper@chicagobooth.edu.
mba_2012 -> Beth hi my name is akshay and wanting to know the admission formalities for the MBA program
Beth -> mba_2012 mba_2012, all applicants are required to submit an online application, which includes resume, essays, two letters of recommendation, transcripts, GMAT scores. All applicants are required to conduct an in person interview at the Gleacher Center here in Chicago. Once you submit your application, you will have a decision within 4-6 weeks.
ChrisH -> Humberto Hi all. Thank you for taking the time to chat with us today. My question is GMAT/quantitative skills related. Are there any courses Booth recommends taking to demonstrate/sharpen one's quantitative skills? I'm currently enrolled in the MBA Math Quantitative skills online course.
Humberto -> ChrisH Chris - Booth does not recommend any particular courses or programs for sharpening one's quantitative skills. Since the GMAT covers both verbal and quantitative areas, we feel it's important to prepare for both sections. There are a number of GMAT prep programs that should be beneficial as you prepare for the exam, so we encourage you to choose the one that works best for you.
Pavan -> Beth Hi, Thank you all for conducting this event. My question is ... I have my undergraduate degree from India and Graduate degree from US. Should I submit original transcripts from my undergraduate degree or is it acceptable if i scan the transcripts and send you a copy. ( The transcripts are in written English)
Beth -> Pavan Pavan, to have your application reviewed, you can certainly scan/upload copies of your mark sheets. Please include your degree certificate as well. If you are admitted, you can bring in your mark sheets/degree certificates and our office can photocopy and notarize them as we understand it can be difficult to obtain foreign transcripts.
Bob -> Katie What is the availability of professors outside of the classroom? I am trying to think back to college with office hours, etc. What options are available, expecially for those in a part time program?
Katie -> Bob Bob - Our professors are very accessible here at Booth. They make themselves more available on a 1 on 1 basis because of our students' busy schedules. Professors welcome emails and phone calls outside of class and make every effort to be available when you are. I have heard from students sending late night emails only to receive a call back 5 minutes later from the professor.
interestedinbooth -> Gretchen Can you share any stories about how Booth students have used their degree's in 'non-traditional' ways? Booth is very well known for its finance and economics but what else do students do with the degree?
Gretchen -> interestedinbooth interestedinbooth: Yes, our students are in multiple industries and job functions--from finance to marketing to sales and trading to non-profit to energy. A good way to learn more about our student career paths is to look at our student groups, which help our students learn more about industries and functions. http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/beyondacad/PTstudentgroups.aspx
steveg -> Beth I am a Canadian currently working under the TN status, will I be able to study in the PT MBA while working?
Beth -> steveg steveg, good question. I would need to contact my colleagues in the Office of International Affairs to ask about a TN visa. Would you mind emailing me at Beth.Daily@chicagobooth.edu with your contact information? Thanks!
Bob -> Beth If I am interested in a fall start, could I apply now?
Beth -> Bob Bob, absolutely! The application is available online. Once you submit your completed application, you will have a decision from our office within 4-6 weeks.
FUN FACT -> Moderator Hear from current students about their Booth experience. Check out their unique stories at http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/transform/
Raj -> Beth Good Afternoon. I completed my undergrad in 2002 in India. Getting transcripts from my college is a tedious process. I have original copy of my certificates with me. If I notarize the copy of my transcripts would those suffice?
Beth -> Raj Raj, you can scan/upload your mark sheets and degree certificate directly into the application for us to review. If admitted, you can bring in your mark sheets/degree certificate and I can notarize them for you.
James -> Beth Is there any financial assistance available from Booth?
Beth -> James James, we do have financial aid available for our students. We have several different types of loans available and you can read more about them online at http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/admissions/financialaid.aspx
mba_2012 -> Humberto i wanted to know how is part time course different from full time and what are the job prospects for doing it part time?
Humberto -> mba_2012 Good question! Regarding courses, the curriculum and degree requirements for the Evening MBA, Weekend MBA, and Full-Time MBA programs are identical. Regarding job prospects, Evening MBA and Weekend MBA students have the same access to Career Services as do our Full-Time students, including On-Campus Recruiting (OCR) for full-time positions. The one exception to this is the formal internship recruiting process, which only Full-Time students participate in. Part-time students have access to the resources that are necessary to take the next step in their career, and success in this area comes down to effort and dedication to making it happen.
consiglieri -> Katie Thanks for hosting this forum -- Chicago Business Fellows receive an MBA like other students, but receive specialized support during their studies?
Katie -> consiglieri Consiglieri - Chicago Business Fellows are Evening MBA students and receive access to all the same courses, resources, and student groups as other Evening students. The special support is mostly in the first quarter when the professional development seminar takes place. CBF'ers also have CBF mentors and participate in social events outside of class. There is a CBF Reunion and annual football game each year as well.
Tim -> Gretchen Is there an option to specialize during the course of MBA program in fields like Technology consulting or technology management
Gretchen -> Tim Tim: There is a great deal of flexibility at Booth. Our students can choose which courses to take and therefore what areas to concentrate in. There is not a technology consulting or technology management specific concentration as Booth teaches the broad business fundamentals that can be helpful in multiple career paths. You can view the specific classes related to technology: http://gsbportal.chicagogsb.edu/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=205&PageID=0&cached=true&mode=2
Mario_Minotti -> Gretchen Good Afternoon. I attended a class yesterday evening at Booth. I was extremely impressed with the interactive class structure. What are the primary teaching methods used at Booth? Is it safe to assume that most of the evening classes take an interactive approach to help engage students?
Gretchen -> Mario_Minotti Hello Mario_Minotti: We are thrilled that you visited a class last night. The faculty use a variety of teaching methods and do engage the students in the class each night. The classroom is a dynamic and the faculty draw on our student's individual experiences.
EG -> Humberto Hello, I am a prospective student for the Part Time program. I am interested in talking to a current student who has been in the program kind of half way - just to know his/her perspective and experience. Can you help connect to a current student?
Humberto -> EG We would be happy to connect you with a current student in the Evening MBA or Weekend MBA program. It would be helpful to discuss more specific information about who you would like to connect with, so please reach out to me directly via email humberto.freda@ChicagoBooth.edu.
Raj -> Beth Also, Do I need to wait for the official GMAT score card to submit the application?
Beth -> Raj Raj, no you can submit your application with unofficial GMAT scores. If you are admitted to the program, you will be required to submit official scores.
Moderator -> Everyone We are almost half way through the chat and have had great questions so far. Please continue to submit your questions! We will try to answer all of them.
Katie -> Everyone For any of you interested in entrepreneurship and/or energy, I have to share something cool happening at Booth! Booth Energy Forward 2012 is an upcoming conference that I am dying to attend. Here is the summary - Energy Forward will explore important topics in today’s global energy industry. As the largest business school energy conference in the Midwest, this annual event provides a unique opportunity for today’s energy business leaders, entrepreneurs, and innovators to interact with graduate students with the goal of shaping insightful, structured strategies for challenges that lie ahead.
TonyRice -> Gretchen At Booth “Ideas Compete and Students Collaborate”. While collaboration is a necessary part of any decision process, ultimately a leader has to make a final decision and accept the consequences, good or bad. To what extent does Booth teach or promote the individual responsibility of leadership?
Gretchen -> TonyRice TonyRice: Professor Linda Ginzel teaches The Practice of Leadership in Business. She is a fantastic professor. You can view more the classes offered at Booth: http://boothportal.chicagobooth.edu/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_308_205_0_43/http%3B/bushjob01.chicagobooth.edu%3B80/Facultycourse08/CourseList.aspx.
Katie -> Everyone Booth Energy Forward 2012 link - http://boothenergy.org/conference/
Raj -> Beth I'm currently working on a H1B visa. Does Booth offer any financial aid for part-time international students?
Beth -> Raj Raj, we do have loans available for international students. You can read more at http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/admissions/financialaid.aspx. If you have any additional questions, you can email financial aid directly.
gjanagama -> Beth 1)I have a 5 year undergrad degree from india in Law. How do I calculate the GPA?
Beth -> gjanagama You do not need to calculate your GPA to fit the American 4.0 scale. We will review your transcripts based on your institution's scale.
Gretchen -> Everyone Are you curious about our Dean Sunil Kumar and his first year with Booth? He says "our faculty are our great advantage". Read more: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/news/2012-2-1-dean-kumar.aspx
EG -> Beth Have a question regarding the interview piece of the application - is the interview conducted by an ad com member or a current student or an alumni?
Beth -> EG EG, both! Our admissions committee is made up of current students and alumni and they do the interviewing.
thriving -> Humberto I am interested in a strong marketing curriculum that includes brand development, innovation,product development( design thinking), entrepreneurship, social media/e-commerce. I like the multidisciplinary approach to learning....do you think Booth could curriculum can address these needs
Humberto -> thriving At Booth, we feel that we have an incredibly strong marketing curriculum with courses that run the spectrum from consumer behavior, to development of new products and services, to pricing, to digital marketing strategy, to lab courses. You can search the marketing course offerings here http://boothportal.chicagobooth.edu/portal/server.pt/community/course_search/205. We also have a robust student community in marketing, including our part-time Booth Marketing Club http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/groups/bmc/. At Booth, you can absolutely set yourself up to make an impact in a marketing career.
Raj -> Katie I am aiming to apply for summer'12 evening part-time MBA program. I have GMAT test scheduled for 16th Mar'12. Will i lose any opportunity for submitting application just before the deadline due to nature of rolling admissions. Do Booth admit a fixed number of students for evening program each quarter?
Katie -> Raj Raj - Happy to hear you are applying! The Summer deadline is the 6th of April which means you can take the GMAT on the 16th of March and still have plenty of time to submit your application. You only need to report your unofficial GMAT score in the application and you receive those scores before leaving the testing facility. You can follow up with the AWA score. We receive most of the applications the week of the deadline.
mbaprospect -> Gretchen I missed the early decision deadline for the Weekend MBA application. Do I need to wait until the final deadline to submit before I get a decision?
Gretchen -> mbaprospect mbaprospect: The Weekend MBA Program is on rolling admissions, which means that you can submit the application today or any time between now and May 4th. If you prefer to plan ahead and if you want to know where you will be attending business school in the Fall of 2012, you can apply at this time. Your will be invited to interview at the Gleacher Center when your application is submitted.
Srini -> Beth Continuing my question on weekend program, what is Launch vs Classes start? What exactly is Launch
Beth -> Srini Srini, LAUNCH is a three day orientation immersion experience where you complete most of your effective leadership requirements. At LAUNCH you will also meet your fellow incoming students and learn more about the resources at Booth. LAUNCH is required for all incoming students and is three full days. The Weekend LAUNCH dates are August 17, 18, and 19.
mbaprospect -> Humberto I would love to come to an event at the Gleacher Center. When is your next event? Can I bring a guest?
Humberto -> mbaprospect Yes, we have a number of events, both at the Gleacher Center and on the road, where you can learn more about the Evening MBA and Weekend MBA programs. You can register for an upcoming event through the following website http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/admissions/events/. And we definitely encourage you to bring a guest!
Srini -> Beth For weekend program, only one remaining it seems for 2010 and for that you listed early decision as Feb 2012 and Late decision as May 2012, what does that mean?
Beth -> Srini Srini, The advantage to applying early is the extra time you have to plan professionally and personally. There is not an admissions advantage, but you will likely get a decision sooner. Please apply when you feel you are ready and our office will have a decision within 4-6 weeks.
Gretchen -> Everyone Are you interested in marketing? Would you like to be paired up with a Booth alum to learn more about his/her career path and to get ideas on where you can take your career? You can be a part of the Marketing Mentor Program via the Kilts Marketing Center: http://research.chicagobooth.edu/marketing/students/mentoring.aspx
mbaprospect -> Katie Who reviews the application? Also, who will I interview with?
Katie -> mbaprospect MBAprospect - The Admissions Committee is made up of current students and alumni from the Evening MBA and Weekend MBA programs who both read applications and conduct interviews. Then, the deans make all final admissions decisions.
Della -> Gretchen I have several masters degrees in another field Can the GMAT be waived?
Gretchen -> Della Hello Della, Congratulations on having multiple masters. If you have taken the GRE test within the past five years the test scores can be submitted. The GMAT however is the preferred test.
Tim -> Beth Does having Professional level certifications like PE in engineering help to demonstrate competence in the application
Beth -> Tim Tim, while professional certifications are not required, they do demonstrate a level of commitment and responsibility which will add to your application. Please feel free to include them.
W2012 -> Humberto How many students are admitted to the Weekend MBA program? Given that the first deadline has been already passed, what are my chances of being admitted if I submit the application in late April?
Humberto -> W2012 We matriculate approximately 100-110 students for the Weekend MBA program each Fall quarter. Since we're on a rolling admissions cycle, you're welcome to submit anytime prior to the final deadline of Friday, May 4th. Since we are not filling an exact number of seats in the class, we have the flexibility to bring in more or less students, depending on the strength of the applicant pool. So, yes, you will absolutely still have a chance of being admitted to the program if you apply in late April. As a matter of fact, we receive a majority of our applications in the two weeks leading up to the final deadline.
Moderator -> Everyone For those of you interested in Marketing - Check out our Marketing at Chicago site http://www.chicagobooth.edu/macb/ and learn about the Chicago approach to marketing, our faculty, Booth alumni with successful marketing careers, and top recruiters sourcing Chicago talent for marketing!
Beth -> Everyone Our Graduate Women in Business and the Student Advisory Council are hosting a panel discussion in honor of International Women's Day on Saturday, March 3. If you are interested in learning more or in attending, please email me at Beth.Daily@chicagobooth.edu.
RdO -> Gretchen Does Booth's E/W program offer any online courses or plans to have an online curriculum?
Gretchen -> RdO RdO: Chicago Booth classes are held in-person and there is not the option to take a class on-line. The classroom dynamic and the conversations between the professors and the students is what makes Booth an engaging Booth community. We invite you to visit a class at Gleacher when your schedule permits: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/admissions/visiting.aspx
Srini -> Katie I heard that Booth lets us start "early" by signing up classes one or two early and use those credits towards an MBA program. Can you please provide details?
Katie -> Srini Srini - Sounds like you have heard about the Graham School's Graduate Student at Large program (GSAL). Potential Booth MBA students can leverage this program. You can take a course before or while you are applying to Booth to test drive the waters. GSAL students can take Booth courses and up to 3 courses will count towards your MBA. You can find more information here: https://grahamschool.uchicago.edu/php/gsal/prospective-students.php
Moderator -> Everyone The chat will end in 15 minutes - Please submit your final questions!
Bob -> Humberto I know you have details online about visiting a class, but can you explain the level of interaction and value of attending a class before you apply.
Humberto -> Bob Great question, Bob. Visiting a class is, as far as I'm concerned, the most valuable component of the admissions process. You get to see how students and faculty interact in a classroom setting first-hand, so that you can decide if Booth is the right place for you. You are also paired up with a current student attending the class, so you are able to interact with a current student for the entirety of the class. So, in short, you should definitely come visit a class! Here's the link with the class visit options for the remainder of this quarter http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/admissions/visiting.aspx.
Jeffrey -> Beth Can you kindly share the calculation you have for converting the GRE scores to an equivalent GMAT score with us?
Beth -> Jeffrey Jeffrey, you can use the ETS comparison tool, http://www.ets.org/gre/institutions/about/mba/comparison_tool, to help put your GRE score in GMAT terms.
lkimes -> Gretchen Good afternoon! I am interested in the SEEK program. As a part-time student would I be able to participate in this major? Also, would I be eligable as a part-time student to participate in the public sector program for students who work for the gov't after graduation?
Gretchen -> lkimes lkimes: You can view more about the Chicago Booth concentrations: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/academics/curriculum/concentrations/index.aspx. Regarding your interest in the public sector and working in government, a great resource would be our Chicago Booth Philanthropy Club and the Chicago Booth Government & Policy Group: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/beyondacad/PTstudentgroups.aspx . We hope to see you at an upcoming Information Session at Gleacher.
lkimes -> Katie Katie - I would be very interested to learn more about the Booth Energy Forward 2012. I have been pursuing a career in energy efficiency and renewable energy for several years and am happy to see schools like Booth take an interest in this topic. Can you let me know what other programs/clubs/resources Booth has for social entrepreneurship and/or energy issues?
Katie -> lkimes kimes - great question! There are several student groups that may interest you. Chicago Booth Energy Club, Chicago Booth Innovation Group, and Technology Entrepreneurship Chicago. Additionally, Local Optima is a student group that provides non-profit consulting services via teams of Booth students. We also have a Social New Venture Challenge, read more here: http://polskycenter.com/socialnvc/
Sreeni -> Humberto I am currently working in supply chain domain. Does Booth offer any of the courses pertaining to this stream?
Humberto -> Sreeni Sreeni - yes, a course entitled Supply Chain Strategy and Practice is a part of the MBA curriculum at Booth. We also have a number of other operations courses that would discuss topics related to supply chain.
Pavan -> Katie Do you have approximate range of GMAT scores for CBF applicants? Do you expect higher GMAT from CBF applicants or Is it same as regular Evening MBA applicants?
Katie -> Pavan Pavan - We take a closer look at academics for CBF applicants since they have less work experience. That includes the GMAT (average = 700) and transcripts.
Mendoza -> Gretchen Good afternoon. I understand the questions are different for applying to the full-time and evening mba programs (particularly the blank pages). What are different things the admissions committee looks for in the application for evening vs. the FT program? Are there certain points that need to be emphasized differently or structured differently?
Gretchen -> Mendoza Mendoza, Hello. Yes the questions are different for our Full Time and Part-Time Programs. What the Admissions Committee looks for is very similar: a strong academic record proven by your undergraduate courses and grades and/or the GMAT score, your quality and your quantity of your work experience and your extra-curricular activities. On average, Full Time students have fewer years of work experience and therefore our part-time students have a a lot to talk about in terms of career experiences and goals.
W2012 -> Humberto Do you have any statistics on people from PTMBA (both Evening & Weekend) who were able to switch jobs? If not, can you give us an idea on what are some of the companies that hire PTMBA? Thanks.
Humberto -> Everyone Our Career Services department is currently compiling data and statistics on the career movement of part-time students at Booth. Since we do not require that our students report this information to us, we have been working on survey responses to obtain this data. However, it's not yet ready for publication. I would be happy to provide more information, should you have a specific company, industry, or function in mind. Please reach out to me directly, so that we can discuss in more detail humberto.freda@ChicagoBooth.edu.
gjanagama -> Gretchen 2) s there any disadvantage in getting admission if I am in middle of another masters(MIS)?I am currently doing MIS. I will complete the required courses in the Spring 2012 sem. Because MIS is part of Business school and my undergrad is in Law, I have to do lot of undergrad courses as prerequisites.I am applying for summer 12 evening MBA program. I don't have to do those prerequisites in future.
Gretchen -> gjanagama gjanagama: It is just fine if you are in the middle of a Masters Program. Please include the transcript with all grades earned in your application at the time you submit the application. We look forward receiving your application for the 2012 Summer Quarter.
interestedinbooth -> Katie Do you have individuals there who can help us navigate the curriculum once we are admitted?
Katie -> interestedinbooth InterestedinBooth - Yes, we have academic advisors that are available to help you choose courses and chart a path for your time here at Booth. They can make recommendations on concentrations and make sure you are fulfilling all graduation requirements. You will meet these folks at LAUNCH, your 3 day orientation.
consiglieri -> Beth Would it be possible to get in touch with a current student who shares similar interests? I am interested in pursuing an MBA in large part to enhance my ability to address urban poverty
Beth -> consiglieri I would be happy to connect you! Please send me an email at Beth.Daily@chicagobooth.edu and I will put you in touch with a current student/alumni.
Gretchen -> Everyone Do you live in or near Indianapolis or Washington DC? Our Admissions Team will be in Indianapolis tomorrow, 2/15 and in Washington DC on Tuesday, 2/21. This is a great event to meet our team as well as our current students and alumni. http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/admissions/events/
interestedinbooth -> Humberto What are the GMAT ranges you typically admit into the program?
Humberto -> interestedinbooth Great question! 80% of admitted students have a GMAT score between 620-750, with our average GMAT score being 680. We look forward to receiving your application.
interestedinbooth -> Beth What are the GMAT ranges you typically admit into the program?
Beth -> interestedinbooth Great question! 80% of admitted students have a GMAT score between 620-750, with our average GMAT score being 680. We look forward to receiving your application.
Gretchen -> Everyone Are you curious about the connection between business and psychology? Read more about Professor Epley: http://www.marketplace.org/topics/your-money/psychology-price-anchoring, who teaches behavior science at Chicago Booth.
mbaprospect -> Katie What kind of social events/opportunities are available to Evening MBA and Weekend MBA students?
Katie -> mbaprospect There is so much going on at the Gleacher Center! There is always something to do. Saturday is our busiest day as most groups plan events when Weekend MBA students are in town. Last Saturday the Chicago Booth Trading Group hosted Steve Cortes from MSNBC and he spoke to a packed room about his new book, "Against the Herd". Then, Saturday evening was the Winter Formal, a swanky affair with dinner and dancing at the Intercontinental Hotel downtown. There were also Faculty Connect events happening. These are small gatherings where faculty host the students for conversations about school and life after class.
Moderator -> Everyone We are posting the last couple of answers - Stay tuned.
Sreeni -> Humberto Wil there be any sessions in Dallas anytime soon ?
Humberto -> Sreeni Sreeni - We were just in Dallas on January 10th for an Admissions Reception. We typically travel to Dallas once a year, so we likely will not be back until sometime in the fall of 2012 or winter of 2013. I would encourage you to keep an eye on our Admissions Receptions website for more details about the next time we come to Dallas http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/admissions/events/rshow.aspx. In the meantime, if you're able to make it up to Chicago, we would be happy to host you here at the Gleacher Center.
Jeffrey -> Katie Can you connect me to any alumni in hitech firms?
Katie -> Jeffrey Jeffrey - I am happy to connect you with a current student or alum that shares your interests. Send me an email at katie.coogan@chicagobooth.edu
Moderator -> Everyone Thank you for joining us today. The chat session has now ended. The chat transcript will be posted on Friday, February 17, at http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/chat/index.aspx
Beth -> Everyone Thank you for joining us today. I hope we were able to answer your questions. I hope to see you at the Gleacher Center for an event soon. We have an Info Session on 3/2 and a Lunch and Learn on 3/14.
Gretchen -> Everyone We look forward to staying in touch. Have a great day.
Humberto -> Everyone Thanks for joining us today! We hope to see you either on the road http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/admissions/events/rshow.aspx or here at the Gleacher Center sometime soon.
Katie -> Everyone Thanks for joining us! Please come to the Gleacher Center for an Information Session, the next one is Friday, March 2nd at 6:30pm. Register here: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/admissions/events/openhouses.aspx