close window Close Window

Are you planning to start your MBA in the 2011-2012 academic year? Join us for a chat with the admissions directors from the Evening MBA and Weekend MBA Programs at Chicago Booth. The chat will cover the admissions process, tips for application, and other admissions-related questions.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 12:00 PM CST

Moderator: Thank you for joining us. We will begin the chat promptly in 10 minutes. Please start submitting your questions now!

Beth: Happy Thursday! My name is Beth Daily and I'm the Assistant Director of Admissions for the Evening MBA and Weekend MBA Programs. I'm looking forward to answering your questions.

Humberto: Good afternoon everyone! Thanks for joining our live chat today. My name is Humberto Freda and I'm the Assistant Director of Admissions in the Evening MBA and Weekend MBA Programs. I'm looking forward to answering all of your questions!

Gretchen: Welcome to the Live Chat! The goal of this Chat is to prepare you for your application process to Chicago Booth. We want you to apply to Chicago Booth and encourage you to attend the best business school you can obtain admissions from.

Ellie: Hi everyone, thank you for joining us today. My name is Ellie McDonald and I am Associate Director of Admissions and an Evening MBA alumna. I look forward to answering your questions.

Xiayun: Is there a waiver of application fee for CBF program?

Ellie: Hi Xiayun, there is an application waiver for the CBF Program. Under the payment method there is a text box that reads "other". Fill in the text box "CBF Program Applicant".

G-401459180: I originally started my application process for Spring quarter and decided to postpone the starting quarter to Autumn. My application was rolled forward to Autumn quarter as I requested, and I am in process of completing the application. As I was completing the application, it came to my attention that the essay questions have been changed, and my application still contains the questions from the Spring quarter application. Would you please advise if what I should do? If possible, I would like to restart the application with clean template for Autumn quarter, but only reservation I have is that one of my recommender already submitted the recommendation.

Beth: Good question! We look forward to receiving your application. Given you've been working with our office, please feel free to continue working on your current application and answer those essay questions. If you have any questions, please feel to contact our office at             312.464.8700      .

Nick: Hello How are you doing?

Ellie: Hi Nick, we are all wonderful! Thanks for joining us today!

George: All, we are excited to be here with you today. I am associate dean of the program, but we have admissions and student services here to field any questions you may have.

G-401120697: Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. I know that many part-time students choose to focus on multiple concentrations. If I'm planning on having multiple concentrations, is this something I should specify during the admissions process, or something that is more often determined once students begin taking classes?

Gretchen: G-401120697-Booth has the most flexible program in the world. You have 14 concentrations to choose from at Booth! You will be asked in the application and most likely in the interview what your intended concentrations will be. We want you to be familiar with Booth's 14 concentrations; however, you will not have to ever declare what they will be or stick with any of them.

Xiayun: Good day. Thank you for providing us such a great opportunity to talk with you. One question about the recommendation letters here. Do they expire? Specifically, two possible situations as below. (1) If I defer the application to a subsequent quarter, but I've already received recommendation letters which are intended for Fall 2011. Can I still use them in the deferred application? (2) If I re-apply, do I still need to get two brand-new recommendation letters? Or just one additional new one plus those in previous application will do?

Humberto: Thanks for joining us, Xiayun! No, letters of recommendation do not expire, but we prefer them to be recent (within 6-9 months). To answer your specific questions: (1) Yes, we can carry your letters of recommendation over to the next quarter's application and (2) As a re-applicant, you would need to secure one additional letter of recommendation. Re-applicants are individuals who have applied to any Booth MBA program within the past two years.

G-401120697: Is there anyway to download a hard copy of the application, or is the application only available online?

George: Good question! The application is completely online. If you have any questions as you work through the process, contact our office at             312.464.8700      .

Jon: Could walk us through the process after June 30? (Timeline for interviews, decisions, amount of time students have to consider an acceptance letter, etc.)

Ellie: Jon, you should hear from us within a few days after submitting to schedule your interview. Once you submit and interview, you will hear back anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 weeks with a decision. All decisions are communicated via email.

G-401459180: Hello, Ellie. Are you able to see my question?

Ellie: Yes, we are able to see your questions, G-401459180!

Fal: Are applicants taken into consideration for the part-time MBA if they do not reside in IL area?

Gretchen: Hello Fal-Yes! Where are you coming from? You can apply to the Weekend Program if you prefer your classes to be mainly on a Saturday or you can apply to the Evening MBA Program if you prefer to take your classes during the weekdays.

michael: testing...

George: Thanks for joining our chat, Michael! We are here and ready to answer your questions.

G-401459180: Beth, thank you. I will answer the essay questions stated on my application as instructed.

Beth: Great! We look forward to receiving your application. As a reminder, the deadline is Thursday, June 30.

George: FUN FACT: We are fielding our 293rd evening class. The evening program will is 73 years old, one of the oldest part-time programs in the country.

Nick: I have a question on how do you define the holistic approach.....would a score of 640 and excellent other components result in admission...

Humberto: Good question, Nick. A GMAT score of 640 is within our admitted range of upper-500s to 800, but below our average of 680 for Evening/700 for Weekend. However, since we evaluate all applications individually and within the applicant pool for that specific program, quarter, and year, it's not possible to give a definite answer to your question. If you'd like to come in and discuss your application, feel free to contact me at humberto.freda@chicagobooth.edu and we can set up a time to chat.

pt: Hi, I did my undergrad from India. My question is about converting International GPA to GPA in 4.0 scale. Do you usually use any particular company or source to do this conversion.

George: Good question pt! You do not need to convert your international GPA to the 4.0 scale. Please be sure to include your mark sheets and degree certificates when submitting your application. While it is not required, you can also use an evaluation service, such as WES or ECE, and submit them with your application.

G-401120713: Hi there. I Was hoping someone could help. I am contemplating attending UC Evening program instead of attending other top FULL TIME programs in other parts of the country. I am worried that in attending I will lose some of the cameraderie and lifelong connections one builds whilst recieving their mba

Gretchen: G-401120713-the decision to pursue your MBA Full Time or Part Time is the most important decision you can make and we are here to help you make that decision. You will have a different experience pursing an MBA FT versus PT; however you will have countless opportunities to network, meet new people and attend events. Our team hosts over 350+ events per year at or near the Gleacher Center.

G-401121465: Hello, I'll be submitting my part-time application soon, but had a question. I have varied interests in addition to the traditional MBA, and noticed that the part-time MBA website also talked about dual degrees and joint coursework. Is it possible to do the part-time MBA in the evenings in combination with an MA in International Relations, or Area Studies, or even a certificate in Health Administration? Thanks for your insight.

Humberto: Good question! Yes, Evening MBA and Weekend MBA Program students are eligible to participate in dual and joint degrees. However, some of these programs require an additional application once admitted to the MBA program at Booth. Additionally, some of the coursework for these programs take place during the day on the main University of Chicago campus, so students might need to have a flexible work schedule to participate. If you had questions about any program in particular, feel free to contact me at humberto.freda@chicagobooth.edu.

Mia: Are you considered a re-applicant if you have only applied to the Booth PhD program previously?

Beth: Mia, yes, you are considered a re-applicant. You are a re-applicant if you have applied to any Booth program within the past two years. As a re-applicant, you will only need to submit one new letter of recommendation. If you submitted official transcripts, you can ask the PhD office to send them to our office.

Nick: Hello George, thanks for helping us with chat session. I understand that a single day highest GMAT score is considered but what is the upper limit on number of times a candidate can take GMAT before it appears to start looking bad?

George: This is my personal feeling and not an accepted guideline; I do feel there are reasons to take the GMAT at least three times. If after that you feel you can improve your score further, then I would do it. Beyond that, I have not seen that people significantly improve their scores. However, we do not look at the total number of times as a strike against you.

G-256330844_1: Good Afternoon. What advice would you give someone to prepare for the in person interview? Are most individuals paired with a current student, alumni or a member of the admissions staff?

Ellie: The interview is with either a current student, an alumni, or a staff member. To prepare make sure you have done your research on Booth (classes, student groups, faculty members, etc). Also, make sure to know your answers why an MBA, why part-time, and why Chicago Booth?

ajvande: Hi, everyone. I am 25 years old with nearly 4 years of corporate work experience. I have heard that programs vary between age and experience, both at the students' comfort level in the classroom and at the professors' focus. What are the pros and cons between the Evening and Weekend programs based on age and experience?

George: Nothing. It is completely based on the program that fits your schedule better. The age is not a significant or material difference. If you will take most of your classes in the evening or weekend should guide your decision.

Frank: Hi!

Ellie: Hi Frank, thanks for joining us today!

G-401449000: Good Afternoon

Beth: Hello - we're thrilled you're joining us today. We're here to answer your questions so keep them coming!

G-401120697: What type of scholarship opportunities are available for evening / part-time students?

George: We do not provide scholarships of any type in the part-time program. We have loans available for all students; but scholarships are only available for full-time students.

Gretchen: Did you know that the chairman of President Obama's Council of Economic Advisers, Chicago Booth Professor Austan Goolsbee, will be returning to teaching this fall! Goolsbee has taught MBA courses in microeconmics, strategy in the information economy and policy of the telecom, media, and technology industries. We hope you are able to meet him.

G-401120697: What are the differences between attending an open house versus a lunch and learn session?

Humberto: An Open House is a larger event with a formal presentation about the programs and admissions process from our staff, as well as a panel of current students and alumni for a Q&A session. A Lunch and Learn is a smaller group of prospective students with two admissions representatives chatting about the programs over lunch and answering specific questions. We encourage prospective students to attend whichever events sound interesting to them and fit their needs for inquiries about the Booth MBA Programs!

Xiayun: I am going to an interview for the CBF Day on June 18. Is there a second interview after I submit my application? I thought the CBF interview would substitute the regular MBA interview. Please correct me if wrong. Thanks.

Ellie: Xiayun, we look forward to seeing you on the 18th. The CBF interview on 6/18 counts towards your admissions interview so this will be your one and only interview during the application process.

pt: Thanks for answering my question. So I just need to send a copy of my marksheets and degree certificates but I don't have to necessarily ask my school in India to send my undergrad transcripts to you directly right?

Beth: That is correct pt. Our office can evaluate your application using copies of your mark sheets/degree certificates, which we consider unofficial. If you are admitted, we will need official copies - either directly from India or you can bring your mark sheets/degree certificate into our office and we can notarize them.

Fal: Hello!! If you have a work experience for almost a decade do you still need to take the GMAT?

Humberto: Yes, the GMAT is a required component of the application for all students in the Evening MBA and Weekend MBA Programs. Unfortunately, the GMAT requirement cannot be waived based on years of work experience.

M_1: How are re re-applicant applications viewed? Are they evaluated any differently than an application from someone applying for the first time?

Gretchen: M_1 - Chicago Booth values re-applicants. If you have applied in the past two years, you will complete the additional essay question for re-applicants. You will need one new letter of recommendation and will come to Gleacher to interview. When are you planning to reapply?

G-401427418: Is the deadline for the Weekend MBA beginning in Sept. still open?

Ellie: No, unfortunately the deadline was in May and is no longer open. The Weekend 2012 application will open up in August.

Humberto: Here's a fun fact:

Humberto: Between 1982–1997, the following six Chicago Booth faculty members won Nobel Prizes:

Humberto: George Stigler, 1982

Humberto: Merton Miller, 1990

Humberto: Ronald Coase, 1991

Humberto: Gary Becker, 1992

Humberto: Robert Fogel, 1993

Humberto: Myron Scholes, 1997

Fal: Thank you Gretchen for the feedback. I am coming from New Jersey and considering moving to Chicago area once I get accepted to the MBA program.

Gretchen: Fal-If you would like to start your MBA Program this fall, winter, spring or summer, yes, apply to the Evening MBA Program. Be sure to state in your application your plans to move to Chicago once the MBA Program begins.

Moderator: We're halfway through the chat and we've had lots of great questions so far. Continue submitting your questions!

Stacy: Hello, Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. Can you give an idea as to how many applicants you typically get versus how many academic spots are available for the fall PT class?

George: We get far more applications than we have spots. It is a very competitive landscape. Most top tier programs are similar, but because we draw students from all over the U.S., we may be more competitive than most.

Beth: Did you know the Evening MBA and Weekend MBA students at Chicago Booth have a Book Club? The last book they read and discussed was Three Cups of Tea.

Stephanie: Ellie, I am also attending the CBF day on June 18. I have not yet submitted my application. Should I do so before Saturday or do I still have until June 30?

Ellie: Stephanie, you have until June 30th to submit your CBF application. We actually recommend you submit after the CBF Day. You will learn a lot about the program and the school that you can potentially use in your essay questions.

Jon: When you indicated that Booth offers loans, did you mean they work to help secure the normal federal subsidized/unsubsidized loans or that they have their own loan program with different terms?

George: We work with the government on all federal loans and provide suggestions for private loans. Since the government became the lender of choice for students we no longer provide university underwritten loans.

G-401120697: If I have an official transcript from my undergraduate college, but it is no longer sealed, can that be used for the application process, or are only sealed transcripts reviewed?

Beth: While sealed transcripts are our preference, you can certainly submit your opened transcripts. If we have any questions about your transcripts, we will contact you.

Moderator: Please continue to submit your questions! We are eager to continue the dialogue.

M: I'm planning to re-apply early/mid 2012, which will fall within the 2 years of my initial applicaton.

Humberto: M – feel free to reach out to me directly (humberto.freda@chicagobooth.edu) and we can discuss your re-application process for next year. I look forward to working with you.

ajvande: I know that one of the two letters of recommendation should come from your direct supervisor. Can you give me a few examples of other credible resources that I should consider for the other letter?

Ellie: ajvande, other sources include: a client, a co-worker, a previous professor, a previous company supervisor, a head of an organization you might be affiliated with, etc.

Gretchen: Flexibility. Booth is the most flexible program in the world.

Gretchen: As a Booth student you will be able to choose:

Gretchen: -which 20 classes you take (out of 150+ classes)

Gretchen: -when you take the classes (evening or weekend or during the day)

Gretchen: -how you pace the program depending on how many classes you take per quarter

Stacy: Can you discuss how insightful the essays should be as far as relating to the admissions process. What typical insight are you trying to find out about the applicant?

Humberto: Good question, Stacy. Within the application essays, we're looking to get an idea of why you want an MBA, why at Chicago Booth, why in the Evening MBA or Weekend MBA Program, and why at this point in your career. We're also looking for applicants to make a case for why they would be a great fit at Chicago Booth and why they would be a great addition to the Booth community.

Jon: Could you give some examples of some recent special events you have offered part-time students (such as visiting lecturers or social activities)?

Ellie: Jon, this is a heavy question. I will name just a few. About two weeks ago, we had Chicago Booth alum and Domino's CEO Patrick Doyle come to the Gleacher Center to speak with our students. We also had the Dean's Awards last Saturday. Approximately 100 students were in attendance.

Stacy: Do all components of the application process need to be received by June 30?

Beth: Stacy, you can submit your application with missing materials, however, our office will not review your application until all materials have been received.

Gretchen: Are you interested in nonproft? Are you interested in consulting? Did you know that Booth's has an extremely active Local Optima Group? Chicago Booth students help the local community while gaining valuable consulting, nonprofit, and project management experience.

Xiayun: I am working in the US, but an international applicant for part-time MBA. Am I qualified for US government loan? Are international applicants going to assume higher loan interest than citizens? What are the normal interest rates like for international and citizen applicants?

George: To qualify for a government loan, you must be registered for selective service. I would guess from your description above that you would not qualify. We work with international students to secure other loans. The rates change with the LIBOR and I do not know the specific rates at this time, very sorry.

Moderator: The chat will be closing in 7 minutes. Please submit your final questions.

Gretchen: Would you like to have lunch with our assistant directors Humberto Freda and Kara Northcutt on Wednesday, June 22nd, 12-1pm at the Gleacher Center? The lunch is a great way to learn about Booth's community and courses and the application process. If you plan to apply for the 2011 Fall Quarter, attend this lunch! Sign up: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/admissions/events/conversations.aspx

Fal: Besides book club are there any other clubs that part-time students can join? Do the part-time students get an opportunity to work with the career counselors?

Humberto: Good questions, Fal. There are over 30 registered student groups in the Evening MBA and Weekend MBA Programs in a variety of areas, including social, athletic, diversity, and career-focused groups. E/W students are also eligible to participate in some of the activities offered by the Full-Time MBA Program student groups. Also, yes, E/W students are offered career services for life, starting from day one of their MBA program with career coaches who work specifically with our part-time students and alumni.

kiran: Hi, I want to know if there is any scholarships available for the MBA program?

George: Scholarships are not available to part-time students, very sorry. Our full-time program does offer scholarships if you are interested in going that route.

George: Thanks all for the questions. Hope this was helpful. If you want to speak directly to admissions, feel free to come by the office, or call us at             312-464-8700      

Moderator: The chat has now ended. Please remain in the chat room as we post the last answers in the next few minutes.

G-401120697: How heavily are the essays weighted in the application decision making process?

Humberto: The essays are just one of the many items we evaluate in the decision making process. The essays give applicants the opportunity to explain their stories and tell us why they want an MBA from the Chicago Booth Evening MBA and Weekend MBA Programs at this point in their career. It's a great way for our admissions committee to learn more about the personal and professional drive inside of each applicant.

Stacy: I am planning on taking the GMAT on the 30 of June, this is the first time I have taken the test. I know the application process is self reporting on GMAT scores, if I choose to take the GMAT after the deadline of June 30 would that postpone my application to the winter quarter?

George: you can still submit for the fall deadline and report your scores to us once complete!

Ellie: Thanks everyone for joining us. It was a pleasure answering all of your questions. I hope to see you all at one of our future events.

Beth: Thank you for joining us today. We hope to see you at the Gleacher Center soon. Our next Info Session is Friday, July 8. Have a great weekend!

Gretchen: If pursuing your MBA is on your bucket list in life, apply now. We are here to help you through the process. You can reach me at             312 464 8703      .

Humberto: Thanks for the great questions! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at the Lunch and Learn next week. If you're unable to attend, register for the next event in July and send any questions to me via email (humberto.freda@chicagobooth.edu).

George: Thanks all. See you at our next info session at July 8th here at Gleacher starting at 6:30pm

Moderator: Thank you for joining us!

Moderator: The chat transcripts will be posted within 48 hours at http://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/chat/