June 15, 2010
The Ronald Reagan Building
1300 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington DC 20004
6 p.m. Networking Reception
7 p.m. Presentation
8 p.m. Q&A
Fault Lines: How Hidden Fractures Still Threaten the World Economy
Raghuram G. Rajan, Eric J. Gleacher Distinguished Service Professor of Finance
Join professor Raghuram Rajan as he talks about his new book, Fault Lines: How Hidden Fractures Still Threaten the World Economy. The discussion will cover how the individual choices that collectively brought about the economic meltdown were rational responses to a flawed global financial order in which the incentives to take on risk are incredibly out of step with the dangers those risks pose.
Rajan will discuss how unequal access to education and health care in the United States is eroding the quality of its policymaking, even while the growth paths chosen by large countries like Germany, Japan, and now China place an undue burden on the United States to get its policies right. He outlines the hard choices we need to make to ensure a more stable world economy and restore lasting prosperity.
Price includes a copy of Fault Lines: How Hidden Fractures Still Threaten the World Economy.
- David Wessel, "Professor Finds Many Fault Lines in Crisis," the Wall Street Journal, April 22, 2010
- Raghuram G. Rajan and Douglas W. Diamond, "Fear of Fire Sales and the Credit Freeze," (PDF) National Bureau of Economic Research, October 2009
- Raghuram G. Rajan, "When Emerging Markets Demand More," (PDF) Financial Times, August 21, 2009
- Raghuram G. Rajan and Douglas W. Diamond, "Illiquidity and Interest Rate Policy," (PDF) National Bureau of Economic Research, July 2009
- Raghuram G. Rajan, "Too Systemic to Fail: Consequences, Causes, and Potential Remedies," (PDF) Statement before the Senate Banking Committee, May 6, 2009
- Raghuram G. Rajan, "The Future of the IMF and the World Bank," (PDF) American Economic Review, Papers and Proceedings, May 2008
- Fault Lines Official Blog
- "The Real Cause of the Crash of 2008," Esquire.com, June 8, 2010