close window Close Window

Fulltime Live Chat, Marketing

Thursday, January 14, 2010- 11:00 AM CST

Moderator: Hello and welcome to our Live Chat about Marketing at Booth! The chat will begin promptly at 11:00am CST, but please feel free to start submitting questions now!

Moderator: The chat today focuses on Marketing at Booth and the Kilts Center for Marketing. We'll focus on answering questions today around this topic. If you have admissions related questions, please visit our Discussion Forums at http://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/forums/index.aspx

Moderator: Hello and welcome to our Live Chat about Marketing at Booth! The chat will begin promptly at 11:00am CST, but please feel free to submit your questions now!

Kurt: Thanks for joining us today to talk more about our Marketing program. We have a great group here and we look forward to answering your questions.

Art: Hi and welcome! I'm a Booth alum from 1988, I teach 2 Marketing Classes ("New Product Development" and "Marketing of Services"), and I'm Executive Director of the Kilts Center for Marketing. I look forward to your questions today.

Stacey: Hi Everyone! Welcome - my name is Stacey Stern and I'm a first year student concentrating in Marketing Management. Thanks for joining us; I look forward to answering your questions.

Jeremy: Hi everyone - thanks for joining us. My name is Jeremy Schellin, and I'm a first year student concentrating in Marketing Management. I remember learning a lot when I participated in these chats last year, so ask away!

Stephen: Good morning! My name is Stephen Hammond and I'm a first year student concentrating in Marketing. Amongst other things, I'm involved in the Wine Club and the Marketing Group. I'm looking forward to answering your questions, so please ask away!

Joanne: Hello everyone! I'm Joanne Legler, Associate Director of Admissions at Booth. We're ready for all your questions for today's chat!

MAX: Hello! I am Maximiliano Figueroa. This is my first question: I noticed that in many universities the marketing efforts and research are focused on the US. Are there many international marketing offerings at Chicago Booth?

Art: Hi Maximiliano, thanks for your question. While we don't have a separate course on International Marketing, each of the courses integrates content on international marketing into the curriculum. Many of our tenure-track faculty are not U.S. natives, so they naturally bring international perspectives to their classes.

Nishant: Hello, I have a question regarding rural marketing especially in the African / South Asian subcontinent, are there any specific courses or projects aligned to this?

Art: Hi Nishant, welcome to the Chat. Our "Management Lab" course has run several International projects where students locate within the country for the entire quarter working on a company project. These courses have been held in Asia Pacific, Russia, Middle East, Africa, and other countries.

Nilesh: Can I specialize in strategic management but not in marketing and vice versa? In Booth, they seem to be connected.

Kurt: Having done both a Marketing and Strategy concentration I can assure it is not difficult to do both. As you indicated there is a very natural partnership between both concentrations and I would venture to guess that many of our students do both. However you can do one without the other if you choose. The beauty of Booth's flexibility is you can create a curriculum and academic experience specific to your goals.

nawny: Please tell me more about marketing fellowships at Kilts Center and how to apply?

Joanne: The Marketing Fellowships (http://research.chicagobooth.edu/marketing/students/fellowships/) are awarded after students have been admitted; there is no application process. Rather, the Admissions Committee works with faculty to determine Fellows based on information provided in the application and, in some cases, follow up phone calls or emails. These are $25,000/year awards and there are about 6 Marketing Fellows in each class. A select few second-year students are also awarded Kilts Scholarships based on their first year performance.

Mayank: Dear Prof. Middlebrooks, This is Mayank from India. I wanted to know which courses from Marketing function would you suggest to someone who want to use the knowledge acquired to expand his business back in India? And how can the Kilts center help me to realize this goal?

Art: Hi Mayank. We have a full-service marketing curriculum at Booth, covering all the major areas of Marketing. Without knowing your specific situation, I would suggest courses such as: Marketing Strategy (the overall Marketing course), Channel Strategy: this is typically very important for expansion, Integrated Brand Communications: how to communicate to your target customer and how to reach them,and Entrepreneurial Selling. The Kilts Center doesn't have a specific focus on any particular country. We support Marketing faculty research on a wide range of topics.

Shah: Secondly, I aim to start my own consultancy firm dealing in sales distribution management in FMCG space. My core geography for entrepreneurship will be in Indian subcontinent and other emerging economies. How vast is the course gamut at chicagobooth to include, preparing entrepreneurs for emerging economies?

Art: Hi Shah. Our Entrepreneurship course offerings are extensive. You also have the opportunity to pursue your venture in the "New Venture Challenge" course. I'm not aware that any of the Entrepreneurship courses focus specifically on the Indian subcontinent, though Chicago Booth held a major week-long entrepreneurial immersion and conference there last year.

Douglas: I will most likely have to leave for a meeting before the Chat really starts but I wanted to get my question in so I can read the answer on the transcript. Besides the scheduled events of the Daily Campus visit Program, what is a must see place or event at Booth?

Joanne: Hi Douglas. Our Daily Campus visit program will give you access to everything at Booth; you'll see a classroom if you choose to sit in on a class, you'll get a building tour, and you'll have lunch with students. You can see everything Booth has to offer in one day! If you want to try to set up another meeting to speak with someone in another office (International Program, the Polsky Center for Enterpreneurship, for instance), we can try to accommodate that request. If you can, try to join us for Booth Live instead. You'll see the same things, but will have more access to our students and faculty, and you'll be able to join us for LPF (Liquidity Preference Function), which takes place on Fridays--it's our happy hour, and is a must-do!

Shah: What is the planned student diversity at chicagobooth as to international representation?

Kurt: The plan is to attract as diverse a population to Booth as we can. Traditionally we try to have between 33-35% of our class be international, although the reality is our global representation is bigger than that when you eventually factor in US Permanent residents. Last year I believe we had over 50 countries represented in our incoming class. There are no quotas in place for any particular country we simply try to attract the best candidates in terms of achievement and fit with Booth culture.

Nilesh: Does relevant experience matter for an MBA in marketing? I have an Engineering degree and software development experience. However, if I am interested in pursuing marketing MBA, will I even be considered for the course?

Stacey: Relevant experience does not at all matter for a career in Marketing. In fact, most of the students recruiting for Marketing are career switchers coming from banking, engineering, consulting, etc. Booth’s Marketing Group and second year students do a phenomenal job of giving you the information and tools you need to learn about a career in Marketing and get you ready for recruiting.

Shah: Hello, my name is Shahnawaz, I thank you for providing me the opportunity to be a part of this chat. I have applied in the R2 at Chicagobooth Full time MBA, I want to be an entrepreneur in sales distribution management. At the same time I want to build expertise in Marketing field as well. Can I pursue both marketing and entrepreneuship at Chicagobooth simultaneously with equal focus? How does Chicagobooth takes care of dual specialization?

Jeremy: Hi Shahnawaz. Your predicament is actually quite common here at Booth. In fact, I'm currently pursuing both Marketing and Entrepreneurship concentrations myself, and don't forsee any difficulties fitting them into my course of study. The flexible curriculum here at Booth is what makes this possible. Because we can tailor our course selections to our professional goals right from day one, most students end up with multiple concentrations and are able to get an education in a number of different fields.

MS: Hi everyone, thanks for organizing this chat. I wanted to know how can students who have no prior experience in marketing find out about career opportunities in marketing and whether it is a good option for them?

Stephen: Good question! I am also a career switcher and I had the same concerns last year. I would suggest using your network to find someone who is currently involved in Marketing, and talk to them about what they do. At Booth, there are also plenty of additional resources to help you assess whether Marketing is right for you. A number of leading Marketing firms come to campus in the Fall and hold presentations and lunch-and-learns. Second-year students who have interned in Marketing make themselves available to answer your questions. And the Marketing Group puts together a fantastic resource guide to help you make the transition.

Alex: What is the weight between theory and real life examples emphasized throughout the classes?

Jeremy: Hi Alex. Booth Professors have a lot of freedom when it comes to the style they use in teaching their courses. That means you're likely to encounter both theory-based lectures as well as those based entirely on real-world examples, sometimes even in the same class. If you're looking for a particular style in the classes you take, it's possible to get a sense for the content of the class by talking to other students and emailing professors directly.

Moderator: Sorry for the inconvenience. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties but will respond to your questions shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Handy: Hello? As an engineer, I have never had any chances to be participated in a primary marketing course. Before enrollment, what can I prepare to have basic marketing insight. Thank you in advance.

Stephen: The best thing you can do is to talk to people who are actually involved in Marketing. Leverage your network -- friends, family, co-workers, former classmates -- to find people you can talk to. The more, the better! I'd also suggest reading up on the subject; there are plenty of great books out there. You can also subscribe to the e-mail newsletters: AdAge, BrandWeek and BrandChannel are the most popular and have great daily news and opinion pieces related to Marketing.

Moderator: We apologize for the inconvenience of our technical issues this morning. We seem to be back up and running and will continue our chat. Thank you for your patience!

vinayakdl: Thank you for hosting the chat session. My question is for Prof. Middlebrooks. With Booth's strengths in Data-driven marketing how is Chicago Booth addressing the monetization of social media issues? Are there any cases studies/approcahes being taught for this particular issue?

Art: Vinayakdl,Funny you should ask! On February 6th we're holding an all-day seminar titled "Marketing and Monetizing Online" -- co-sponsored by the Kilts Center and the Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship. We'll have Booth faculty and prominent alums/executives in the space to address a variety of issues around online marketing, social media, and monetizing traffic. The Data-Driven Marketing course does go into both offline and online cases and exercises.

YiYu: Hi! Thanks for being here answering questions! Just one simple question, what makes Chicago marketing special?

Stacey: Great question! There are numerous support systems for Marketing at Booth. The Marketing Group, second year students, career services, and alumni are all very willing to help provide you the tools you need to learn about marketing and be successful in the recruiting process. We also had two marketing case competitions this year where one of the sponsors was Kraft Foods. Not only was it phenomenal first hand experience at what a marketer does, it was a great networking opportunity. We also just had mock interviews with some of the largest Brand Management companies, which is a great way to informally get in front of these companies before they come on campus for formal interviews. Classes are great, and what I’ve heard from companies is that they recruit from Booth because they find that the students come out of the MBA program with very strong business and analytical fundamentals, as well as great marketing fundamentals, both of which are extremely important to succeed in Marketing.

Suchita_India_1: Hi, I am an R1 waitlisted applicant. What kind of opportunities are available to Booth students to get involved in research in the area of marketing and branding? Also, are there any independent study options available to take a deep dive into a certain aspect of marketing that a student might be interested in building a career in ?

Jeremy: Hi Suchita_India_1. There’s a lot of great marketing research done by the faculty here at Booth, so it’s only natural for students to be interested in becoming involved in that. It’s not uncommon for students to assist professors with their research, but there’s no formal process for it. Should you find something that piques your interest, it would be between you and the professor to determine if there’s an opportunity for you to assist in their work. Independent study works in the same way. If you find a topic that interests you, the next step is to find a tenure-track faculty member to sponsor your independent study. The two of you then work together to design the “course” from that point on.

MS: Are there some experiential learnning opportunities in the marketing?

Stephen: There are absolutely experiential opportunities in Marketing. There is the Management Lab course, during which students work on a sizeable project provided by a company. Then there are the Marketing Research and Consumer Behavior courses, which are largely classroom based, but also feature real-world projects in those areas. Finally, there are some Marketing-focused case competitions that you may be able to participate in.

Alex: Are there opportunities to develop and test own marketing ideas?

Stacey: Absolutely! There are actually a couple of opportunities to do so. One of which is the New Venture Challenge where you form a group and propose and develop your business or marketing idea. The second opportunity is the Marketing Research class where you have the opportunity to work with real companies that sponsor research projects, and the third opportunity is the Consumer Behavior class that is also sponsored by companies, which allows you to develop and test your ideas in a real world setting.

Monique: Do recruiters for Brand marketing come to chicago?

Stephen: Recruiters for brand management definitely come to Booth. We are fortunate to have a number of firms known for brand management right in our backyard. Wrigley, Kraft, PepsiCo, MillerCoors, and General Mills, amongst others, all recruit here, as do companies that are not as local, such as Campbell Soup, Diageo, and Johnson & Johnson.

G-341264695: Hello all; thank you for your time today. I am attracted to the analytical focus of Booth. Can you tell a little bit about how that is uniquely incorporated into a marketing discpline (beyond market research)?

Art: Hi, and thanks for your question. Successful Marketers of the future must have strong analytical skills as part of their skill set, along with Leadership skills and the ability to work effectively across functional areas of the company. All of our Marketing courses have an analytical focus in some way. In my Services Marketing course for example, I cover a topic on Customer Satisfaction measurement. In my New Product Development course, we address quite a few analytical marketing tools using commercial software to support the learning (e.g. Perceptual Mapping and Conjoint Analysis). Many of the analytical tools are grounded in the disciplines of Economics, Statistics and Consumer Psychology, and our faculty bring these "core disciplines" into the classroom to provide a deeper learning experience for students.

G-341263979: Hi my name is Maria Palma, I just submitted my application last week. I am very interested in people concentrating in Marketing Mangement and Strategic Management. Are they a good combination?

Stephen: Hi Maria! Thanks for your question. They are a great combination, one that I am pursuing myself, in fact. Of course, whether they are a great combination for you depends on your background and your career aspirations. They are a popular combination both for people interested in Marketing, as well as people interested in Consulting.

BrianAnderson: Given Chicago is known as a heavily quantitative school, do you find there is a lot of focus on data-driven decision-making? Additionally, if there is, how do you go about marrying that idea with the more qualitative/emotive feedback that also needs to be incorporated into marketing?

Art: Hi Brian, good question. Strong marketers bring both qualitative and quantitative skill sets. Where appropriate, we cover both. For example, in my New Product Development class, we cover qualitative research techniques for uncovering customer needs, brainstorming new product ideas, and testing new product concepts. The Market Research class and Consumer Behavior classes cover qualitative and quantitative market research techniques. A typical approach is to do qualitative research first and then quantitative as a follow-up for statistical validity and confidence in forecasting from the results. We cover both.

Nilesh: Hi Jeremy and Stephen, do you have to take any electives in the first year? If not, what defines a concentration?

Jeremy: Hi Nilesh. Here's another example of the beauty of a flexible curriculum. Bottom line: your course of study is up to you. So if you're more interested in taking care of core courses right away, you're free to do so. If you'd rather hold off on a few of those (you're likely going to have to get Statistics, Economics and Accounting under your belt early, due to many of the advanced courses building on the material in those disciplines), it'll be easy to try some electives in the first year. As for concentrations, you can find the courses required for all 14 of Booth's concentrations here: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/academics/curriculum/concentrations/index.aspx

Sunny: Good morning, everyone. I recently submitted my application for Round 2 with Chicago Booth and specified my interest in Marketing. I wondered how much academic coursework within the Marketing Management concentration focused specifically on the Media & Entertainment industry?

Art: Hi Sunny. Welcome to the Chat. We do not have specific courses focused on any particular industry. The student Marketing Group brings in speakers from the Media and Entertainment industry. We recently had an alumni panel from Media and Entertainment speak on campus. We have a variety of senior Marketing alums in the industry (e.g. our alums include General Manager of the Food Network, Chief Marketing Officer of the National Geographic Channel, CEO of the Disney property iParenting.com as examples).

Nilesh: This might be a little naive to ask: the students at booth seem to choose 11 electives from 14 options, does it mean they specialize in 11 concentrations?

Joanne: Nilesh, let me try to break it down. Students can choose concentrations from a list of 14; most have 2, but some have 3, or 1, or even 4,for deeper knowledge and to assemble the tools and analytic skills relevant to areas of particular interest. Our curriculum requires 21 courses for the Full Time MBA, and 11 of these can be electives that fall outside of the required core curriculum. Six of these 11 course can be taken in departments or schools outside of Booth. More information can be found online at http://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/academics/curriculum/index.aspx.

SonalB: Hi. How do the product management and marketing courses at Booth keep up with trends such as social marketing? Is there faculty research interest in this space?

Art: Hi SonalB. See my earlier response – on February 6th we are offering jointly with the Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship an all-day conference called “Marketing and Monetizing Online” where social media will be an important component. Each faculty member incorporates recent trends into their courses as they feel appropriate. For example, in my Services Marketing class we discuss how companies are using Twitter to identify and recover from service quality problems (under a topic called Service Recovery).

marco: Hi, first of all, thank you for having this session. I had two questions to Stephen. Could you tell us about the activities organized by the marketing club? Moreover, are there other clubs that might be appealing for students interested in doing a career in Marketing?

Stephen: Great question! The Marketing Group has been a fantastic resource to me during my time here. Over Winter break I actually had a chance to get involved, as one of the co-chairs organizing our Brand Week career trek to the New York City area. In addition to career treks, the Group arranges company presentations, resume and cover letter reviews, mock interviews, alumni and second-year mentorship programs, and prepares an excellent resource guide full of advice from second-years and former students on how to prepare for a role in Marketing. And I'm probably even forgetting a few things! There are also some industry-specific clubs that might appeal to someone interested in Marketing -- the Retail, Apparel and Luxury Group, and the Media & Entertainment Group are two popular ones.

jnpant: i heard a lot about the Nielson DB and marketing research on it, what are the opportunities for students?

Art: Hi. Good question! We’re just getting the data formatted for academic use this winter. We plan to develop a case for students using the data so students can experience it in the classroom. The agreement with Nielsen allows students to access the data as part of a class or under the supervision of a tenure-track faculty member.

Lauren: Hi Art - what do you think the benefits are to studying marketing at Booth, a school generally known more for its finance capabilities, as opposed to a school like Kellogg where they have a very strong reputation in marketing?

Art: We recognize that Chicago Booth’s historical reputational strengths have been in the areas of Finance, Economics and Accounting … as well as in building fundamental leadership and analytical skills. We think these strengths play right into what it takes to be a great Marketer. We’re focused on equipping our students to be successful marketers who will create value in the marketplace for their organizations … not just who create good marketing and advertising programs. We believe that the education our students receive in Marketing, Leadership and the other disciplines of the school (e.g. Finance, Accounting, Strategy, Economics) uniquely equips students to be successful Marketers and General Managers who can work effectively across the entire organization to drive real value in the marketplace. This past year we were ranked #5 in Marketing by Business Week (as well as being ranked the #1 school overall by this publication). We were ranked #7 in Marketing by U.S. News and World Report (and #5 overall). Our rankings in Marketing have been consistently on this rise.

aaj: Could you elaborate a bit on the management lab concept at Booth?

Art: I truly believe this course is the premier experiential learning opportunity offered by any business school in the world. In this course, with coaching and oversight by multiple faculty members, students work in teams of 8-10 on major consulting projects typically for large corporations. The projects tend to be Marketing and Strategy focused. We’ve been offering this course at Chicago Booth for over 25 years (I took this course in 1988!).

Nishant: Hi this is a followup question: Art mentioned Management Labs focused on various geographies. can you please give an example of the type of projects?

Art: Hi Nishant. Management Lab originally focused on just New Product Development projects. In the past 20 years, it has expanded to include projects on Branding and Positioning, Market Entry Strategies, Pricing, Customer Segmentation and Targeting, Channel Management, and a variety of other Marketing and Strategy-related projects.

Nilesh: Is there a way I can get the full list of courses offered in a concentration. On the website, they have listed course sampling. Can I get more information than that?

Kurt: Off of the main webpage www.chicagobooth.edu

Kurt: you will see under the marquee a link to the Booth Portal. Click on that. Once you get to the portal page in the upper left hand corner you will see a section titled Faculty and Courses. There you can explore course titles and faculty bios.

Steven: Stephen, any impressive course or program of marketing in booth?

Stephen: I am currently taking Professor Urminsky's Marketing Research class and Professor Dhar's Marketing Strategy class, and I have found both to be really impressive. And I am looking forward to taking Professor Middlebrooks' Developing New Products class, which is also very highly regarded. But the truth is there are more impressive classes/professors in Marketing here than I can list. I honestly don't know how I'm going to fit them all in over my two years here!

G-341307178: If you're a finance major, but still interested in taking a couple of marketing classes to shore up my the knowledge base, what marketing classes do you recommend?

Art: The Marketing Strategy course is helpful no matter what field you ultimately work in. This covers all of the core concepts of Marketing -- strategic issues, tactical marketing mix issues, and implementation of marketing plans. My course on Services Marketing is very relevant for people going into professional services positions (e.g. consulting, investment banking, private equity). These are a few ideas for you.

Moderator: There are a couple minutes left before this chat's scheduled end time. We cannot accept anymore new questions but due to our technical issues earlier in the chat, we will continue to post answers to questions in our queue for a few moments past noon.

G-341264944: My question is for Stacey---as someone who is also coming from a career in Brand Management and interested in pursuing an MBA, I'd love to hear how your experience at Booth has better prepared you to excel as a Brand Manager. Specifically, what three things are you going to, or hope to, apply to your job? And secondly, what classses have you found most insightful/helpful for a career in brand management?

Stacey: As someone who came from Brand Management I knew that I loved it, but also knew that to be the best Brand Manager I could be, I really needed to develop my skill set in business and analytics, which is why I came to Booth. A couple of things I’ve really enjoyed so far is the Kraft case competition where I worked with a team of first year students on a current business need, my marketing research class where I am working with a company on a strategic project, and Data – driven marketing is a great analytical marketing class that students really find helpful as they enter their internships, and employers really value. In general, Booth has a great variety of analytical and case based marketing classes that will help you become a well rounded marketer.

FuiTP: Hello, are there any marketing events or competitions where we can put what we learn into practice to test our skills and build confidence?

Art: Yes! There are quite a few marketing case competitions each year ... for example, this past year included a Kraft case competition and the Google Online Marketing Challenge.

Lee: Hello, I have a question as it relates to marketing and small business. Does the marketing concentration have any coursework that focuses in this area? Is there any synergy between the marketing concentraction and the entrepreneurship program?

Jeremy: Hi Lee. Luckily, you’re in the right place – Booth has strong Marketing and Entrepreneurship programs, and there’s fair amount of overlap between the two. In particular, you might be interested in is the highly regarded course taught by Professor Middlebrooks titled “New Product Development.” That course satisfies both the Entrepreneurship and Marketing concentrations, so you can be sure they’ll be lessons applicable to marketing a small business. Another course I plan to take that fits nicely with both marketing and entrepreneurship is called “Building the New Venture.” It’s a perennially popular course here at Booth, and is taught from the perspective of an entrepreneur building a business from the ground-up and marketing it to potential customers.

Suchita_India_1: Hello again, I am interested in pursuing a career in brand communications and advertising. What classes at Booth would you recommend are best to maximize my learning in that area?

Stephen: Integrated Brand Communications, which is being taught by Professor Labroo this year, sounds right up your alley! But I would expect that the majority of the other Marketing classes would be applicable, as well.

MAX: Art Middlebrooks emphsizes that "I find that students learn best by 'doing,'" could you give an example of this and how this is related to out of class work?

Stacey: There are many opportunities to apply what you learn in a non-traditional class setting at Booth. One of which is the New Venture Challenge where you form a group and propose and develop your business or marketing idea. The second opportunity is the Marketing Research class where you have the opportunity to work with real companies that sponsor research projects, and the third opportunity is the Consumer Behavior class that is also sponsored by companies, which allows you to develop and test your ideas in a real world setting. Booth also had two marketing case competitions this year where one of the sponsors was Kraft Foods. Not only was it phenomenal first hand experience at what a marketer does, it was a great networking opportunity.

G-341290709: Hello, I have a question for the first year students. What do you expect to do when you have finished the MBA program?, do you have defined kind of jobs that you would like to get involved into? Have you changed your mind since the moment you started in the MBA program until now, about the things you would like to do when you graduate?

Stephen: Good question! I came to Booth knowing that I wanted to get involed in Marketing with an eye towards General Management in the long-term. That hasn't changed. However, I originally envisioned myself exclusively pursuing brand management opportunities, and during my time here I have seen that there are other types of Marketing roles that are very interesting, and will still allow me to achieve the same end result.

jamie: Hello. What would you tell a student that is very interested in Marketing and has a marketing background but was told that Booth is much more of a "finance school"?

Jeremy: Jamie - welcome to my world! I have a marketing background (marketing undergrad, previously worked in marketing for General Mills), yet chose to come to a "finance school." Why? Because I know marketing is much more than just advertising, and it takes a firm grasp of things like Finance, Economics, Accounting and Statistics in order to effectively lead an organization. You'll find that in many cases, firms look to their marketing functions as more of a general management role, and I felt a need to improve my business fundamentals in order to be ready for that challenge. What better place to do that than at Booth? When looking at the marketing program here specifically, I was especially attracted to the analytical emphasis in the marketing courses. There's a lot more data now available to marketers, and I know Booth will give me the tools to analyze that data and make the right decisions for my business. It’s a different approach than the “marketing schools” out there, but I think that’s what makes a marketing education at Booth so valuable.

MS: For incoming students my understanding is that recruitment for internships start soon after the session starts - how can I educate my self before that and make sure that I am not bombarded with a lot of information at the same time and do a focussed internship search?

Stacey: You are not the only with that concern! Company presentations do start as early as a couple of weeks after school start. Formal recruiting (interviews) do not begin for Marketing until January. With that being said, company presentations are a wonderful way to help you learn about different marketing functions in various companies. The Marketing Group also does a wonderful job of getting you prepared right as school starts. They have various activities to help you learn about the different careers in marketing and provide you with tools to be successful. Second year students are also an enormous help. They went through the process last year and they are more than willing to help you learn and give you tips.

Kurt: Thanks for the great questions and our apologies for the technical problems. We will get all the questions we received up in our transcript to view later.

Art: Thanks for your questions! All the best to you in the application process. Hope you can attend a future event.

Joanne: Thank you to everyone who participated today! It was great hearing from you, and best of luck!

Jeremy: Great questions, everyone! It was a pleasure to chat with you all, and thanks for joining us.

Stephen: Thanks for joining us today! Best of luck with your applications and interviews. Hopefully we will see some of you here at Booth this fall!

Stacey: Thanks for your questions! It was a pleasure to talk to you today, and good luck!!!