close window Close Window

Chat with Admissions

November 5, 2008—9:00-10:00 AM CST

Rose: Good morning! We will get started in about 10 minutes. Feel free to begin submitting questions at this point. Looking forward to a productive chat. Rose

Joanne: Good morning! We're looking forward to talking with you this morning and answering all your questions.

Carrie: Good morning! Thanks so much for joining us today - we look forward to answering your questions!

Anil: Good morning, thank you all for waking up and joining us for this live chat. I look forward to your questions...

Rose: Welcome to our admissions chat! We are open to any and all types of questions. As we often get repeats of questions, we will try to address the general topic (if not your specific question). Feel free to keep those questions coming.

Kurt: Good morning and thank you for joining us, I look forward to answering your questions.

ElleBee: Thank you for this opportunity. For an individual, such as myself, with a GMAT quantitative score in the 70th percentile and little to no quant experience in undergrad and in work, would it be helpful for me to take additional quant classes prior to applying? If so, what course(s) would you recommend? I've heard that Accounting, Statistics, and Microeconomics are helpful in this respect but am not sure if one/two would be seen as more positive than the others (I already took Calculus in undergraduate, though I received an only satisfactory grade).

Rose: For those with limited quantitative skills, you might want to consider taking a stats or accounting course in preparation for enrolling in any MBA program. It's not necessary, however, to enroll in these prior to applying. You can always use the optional essay to explain your preparation plans.

camilasalamanca_2: Hello, my name is Camila Salamanca. If I decide to pursue a joint degree program with an MA in International Relations, would I be applying directly to the MBA/MA International Relations program? Or, will each school evaluate the application and I may be admitted to one program or the other?

Kurt: Camila,

Kurt: Thank you for your interest in the GSB. If you are interested in applying to the joint degree program for MBA/AM in International you would fill out our application online and make sure you address the dual degree questions section that is included on the application. There is always the possiblity when applying that you could be admitted to one program and not the other. That is a pretty rare occurrence but it has happened in the past.

Mar: Hello! I'm studying in Armenia at the 5th course of my 5 year program and I'm interested in applying to CGSB. Can I now, during my last course?

Joanne: Hello! Yes, you are welcome to apply in your last year of schooling. You will be required to submit proof of your degree upon matriculation.

kdi: Thank you for hosting the chat. Based on prelimnary review, how do you compare the strength of the applicants in Round 1 compared to the one last year? Thank you.

Rose: It's a bit too early to tell since we're in the midst of evaluating applications, but my initial impressions is that the pool is very strong across all dimensions. I am just starting to read, so I'll have more specifics in a couple of weeks.

G-467709511: Good morning. It's my honour to chat with the Chicago admission board. I am a fresh graduate, non-US citizen, 23 years old. I am preparing to apply to fall 2009 intake. And I am wondering whether I could be considered for the early career enrollment? If yes, then how competitive is it between early career candidates? What are the specific criteria to evaluate such candicate? Thank you.

Joanne: Good morning! Chicago GSB does not have separate early career enrollment. We evaluate all applications similarly, regardless of number of years of work experience. It is not more competitive for students who are early career (defined as students with 0-3 years of work experience). We also do not use different criteria to evaulate early career candidates. However, knowing that you have less work experience, we'll look to your activities or other work (part time, internships) for evidence of leadership and success in the workplace.

microchen: Good morning! The world changes so fast. Would you mind sharing with us how Chicago GSB's 2008 graduates have been affected by the recent financial tsunami in their job hunting? Thank you.

Rose: Alumni from most schools have been negatively impacted by the financial service sector melt-down. Chicago GSB has been very proactive in meeting with our impacted alumni. Also, if you check my blog (the Rose Report), you can see specifically what the GSB has done to support our alumni. In addition, our career service is lifelong, so our alumni have been engaged with our staff in addressing their needs.

G-467729516: Thank you, I'd like to congratulate you American guys for your new President. I have a couple of questions about due dates of TOEFL and GMAT exams, I would like to apply in the R2. When is the last date to send the results of those exams?

Joanne: Yes, the Presidential election has been exciting, especially for those of us in Chicago! You must have a GMAT and TOEFL score to apply to Chicago GSB; thus, you must take the exam by our Round 2 deadline of 7, 2009. If you have not taken the exams by then, you must wait to apply in Round 3.

peru: About the slide essay, I have read that it is like a candidate presentation. Could this be taken as the space to show our personal side, as most of the application is about facts in the academic and work level?

Kurt: The best way to answer this question is to use the space strategically to fill in any obvious gaps in your "story". If you feel like you have not revealed enough about your personal side in the application than the presentation might be a good place to provide more information.

Andrew: I was wondering if you could discuss opportunities for students interested in entrepreneurship, both within the curriculum and outside the classroom.

Rose: Entrepreneurship is the second most popular concentration at Chicago GSB. Our program focuses both on the practitioner and the investor (PE/VC). From classwork and laboratory courses to the Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship, you will have access to a wide array of resources. I would encourage you to check out the Polsky Center Website for specifics.

kdi: What percentage of applicants do you expect to invite to interview this year in round 1?

Rose: You'll get used to this response -- "It depends". I would imagine that 50-60% of the pool may be invited this year. But that said, it is based on the quality of the applicant and not some set/stated ratio.

camilasalamanca_2: If needed, is it possible to include on the third essay a "user intructions" note?

Kurt: Camila,

Kurt: I am not sure what you mean, but if you are referring to providing a slide for clarification on the presentation than yes you are more than welcome provide additional details. More instructions on this are provided in the application.

RND1: Hi Rose. I applied in Round 1 but one of my recommendations was submitted on the 20th of October. Does that mean that I should expect a decision towards the latter half of the interview call send-out period?

Carrie: Great question. We will release all decisions by or on the mid-decision date. If you haven't heard from us yet, do not worry!

Nikki: Good morning. Are the interviews released according to the order of the submission of the applications?

Carrie: Thanks for your question. Interview decisions are not released according to the order of submission. All decisions will be released by our mid-decision date.

ading003: Good morning, Rose. How many interviews has GSB released so far? Does the committee review essays, recommendation letters and decide whether to offer an interview first, or do the committee wait and hold until all documents (official transcript, GMAT, etc.) arrive? Thank you!

Carrie: Hi, Ading003. The admissions committee reviews your complete application when making a decision to interview, which does include GMAT results and transcripts, although they can be unofficial results. Should you be offered an interview, we would need your official transcripts and GMAT scores at that time.

steiff: Hi all, good morning! As you may all be aware of this, the macro economic is pretty bad and some of the financial experts may even predict that the banking system will be under restructure in the next 3~4 years. As my understanding, the depression may direct impact to I-bank and consulting firm which accounts for over 50% of the students who graduate from GSB to job market in previous years; I would like to know if there is any impact to current students on seeking for intern and full-time job and as a top business school, does GSB provide any special program to help students get into the jobmarket smoothly? Thank you.

Rose: Chicago GSB expected that the banking sector would be impacted by the financial crisis and has been very proactive in recruiting new companies in various industries and functions to campus. There are still lots of finance sector opportunities in middle market and boutique banks, investment management, PE/VC as well as lots in the corp finance world.

dhananjay: Good morning Rose, I am R1 applicant. The Chicago GSB has started releasing interviews and I was just wondering if closure of financial aid programme will affect admission decision regarding international applicants? Thanks.

Rose: Our admissions decisions are not based on an applicant's ability to pay. Chicago GSB remains committed to providing loans to our international applicants who do not have a cosigner, and as such are in the midst of looking for a loan substitute for our prior program. Stay tuned.

ohaqqi: What differentiates interviewees who are offered admission from those that are waitlisted or rejected?

Rose: Chicago GSB uses the waitlist to gauge the applicant pool -- Round 2 comes in after Round 1 decisions are released. We are very careful not to over admit in any round and therefore use the waitlist as an opportunity to take another look at the application as part of Round 2 final decisions.

Deba: Can you please tell us more about the format of the interview? What is the duration of the interview and do we get to ask questions about Chicago GSB during the course of the interview?

Joanne: Hi Deba. The format of the interview is intended to be a conversation between your and your interviewer (student staff, staff or alumnus) that allows us to get to know you better, beyond the application. You are certainly encouraged to ask questions of your interviewer to allow you the chance to get to know the GSB better. Length of interviews varies, but is typically 20-30 minutes.

dilbert: Hi Rose, I am R1 applicant. My undergrad GPA is not bad but not stellar. I took two courses and got A's. Does Adcom give any importance to the these extra courses taken?

Kurt: I guess it would depend on what kind of courses you took. If they are business school courses or courses that would be valuable for business school, i.e. stats, calculus etc. than this would certainly be helpful. If they are courses in Literature or History than they could be helpful in revealing academic interest and intellect but they would not be as good an indicator for us if you could handle a business school curriculum.

Gauthier: Good morning, I have a question concerning the submission of official university transcripts for international applicants. I already submitted my unofficial transcripts in my application. Is it OK to submit official transcripts upon being accepted to the programm?

Joanne: Good morning. You must submit official transcripts if you are invited to interview with Chicago GSB.

Nikki: I have applied to Chicago GSB for Round 1 straight from undergraduate. I am worried that because of the high number of applications I stand a lower chance of getting an interview. Does Chicago give priority to applicants with full time work experience?

Joanne: Hi Nikki. No, Chicago GSB does not give priority or preference to applicants with full time work experience. Because our application process is holistic, we look at all factors of an applicant when we make admissions decisions. While our average length of work experience is about 5 years, we encourage those students who believe they are ready to engage in the full time MBA program to apply. We look for other types of work experience (leadership on campus, part time jobs, internships) to determine your past and future success in your career.

peru: What do you think about the number of women getting enrolled in an MBA? Do you think it will increase for the upcoming year?

Rose: Chicago GSB's entering class is comprised of 35% women. We would certainly like to increase that number, but that is dependent upon the quality of applications. It bears repeating -- Chicago GSB does not have any quotas by gender, ethnicity, citizenship or anything else. It's all merit-driven.

candidate: I found there are no interviewers available in Argentina, are you planning to modify this? What is your advice for Arg. applicants who find it difficult to travel to Chicago to interview?

Rose: Thanks for your e-mail. We should have this situation resolved in the next 24 hours. My team will be reaching out to our applicants living in Argentina with some options. Feel free to reach out to me directly today - rose.martinelli@chicagobooth.edu.

G-467796686_1: What happens after the interview is complete? Is the entire application looked at again, or just the interview results as a filter?

Kurt: Once the interview is complete your application will be reviewed again in its entirity. We like to see what additional texture the interview provides to our initial assessment.

ohaqqi: Does Chicago GSB have a set "interview rate" e.g. 50% where a set percentage of applicants are invited to apply, or can the interview rate change based on the strength of the applicant pool?

Rose: The percentage of those invited to interview is solely based on the quality of the applicant pool -- we have no set ratio that would prevent us from inviting more or less.

NM-miles: What would you say is the major differentiator that makes Chicago unique when compared to other top programs?

Anil: There are many MBA programs which will provide excellent opportunities, both while enrolled in the program and after your graduation.

Anil: That being said, each one is different. If I had to pick one major difference between the Chicago experience and that of other programs, it would be the flexibility of the curriculum. At Chicago, you can start taking classes which you are interested in from day 1. You can tailor your schedule based on your background and interests.

Rose: Keep your questions coming.

abdi: When is the next application deadline?

Carrie: Hi, Abdi. Our second round deadline is January 7, 2009 and our third round deadline is March 11, 2009.

ElleBee: Hello again. Do you happen to know how many students in your most recent class have prior military experience?

Kurt: I do not have a statistic on this but the number is fairly robust when you look at people who came directly from the military and those that served at one point in time. We do have an active military group on campus and if this is an area of interest I would reach out to them directly, I am sure they can provide details on this issue. http://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/beyondacad/FTstudentgroups-detail.aspx?groupid=9

bryan: Hi, I intend on applying next year for 2010 acceptance. I realize that candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible. Are there any downside risks associated with applying in the first round?

Joanne: We encourage candidates to apply when they are ready, and when they feel their applications are the strongest reflection of them as candidates. There are no risks or disadvantages to applying in the first round.

StartupAJ: Thank you Rose, Kurt, Joanne, Carrie and Anil for hosting this chat. I have found these chats incredibly helpful. If I am invited to an interview, and choose to do so on a Saturday, should I be signing up separately for a campus visit on Friday? If there are any specific classes or labs at Polsky that I would like to attend, how do I go about registering to "drop in" on the class? How do I access the course schedule to make sure that the class is held on either Thursday or Friday (or else I should change my interview date)?

Carrie: Hi, StartupAJ. We would love for you to attend a class and explore GSB further. In order to plan most effectively, we request that you register for your class visit. To see which classes will be available, and to register, visit: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/visit/dailycampusvisit.aspx. If you have additional questions regarding your visit, feel free to contact us directly at admissions@chicagobooth.edu.

priya: Good Morning, how should we expect to be notified of the interview decision?

Joanne: Good morning, Priya. You will be notified via email if you are invited to interview. The last day to be notified for Round 1 applicants is Wednesday, November 12th.

dhananjay: Thanks Rose. Most of the applicants to Chicago GSB program come with tons of corporate experience. For applicants who comes from Government sector background, How does the adcom evaluate and compare such applications with the rest?

Rose: First, we do not compare applicants across different industries -- we are evaluating how you have leveraged your opportunities, your accomplishments and your awareness of yourself and your needs for the future.

dilbert: Does Chicago GSB conduct interviews on any Saturdays?

Carrie: Hi, Dilbert. For on-campus interviews, we do conduct interviews on Saturdays. Depending on availability of alumni, we try to offer off-campus interviews on Saturdays as well.

Attagirl: Thank you for hosting the chat. Can you please talk about the Energy initiatives at Chicago? are there any clubs dedicated to Energy/Natural resources?

Kurt: There are a few things that immediately come to mind. Our Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship has been sponsoring quite a few events on this topic, inviting in guest speakers in on the topic, conducting lunch and learns and networking sessions. The GSB also added an Economics class this year on the energy sector and our Public Policy school offer several classes on energy policy (given you have 6 electives that can be taken outside the GSB many students take advantage of this). Lastly we do have an energy club which you are more than welcome to contact for more first hand information. http://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/beyondacad/FTstudentgroups-detail.aspx?groupid=70

NM-miles: Are all candidates inteviewed that eventually get offered acceptance, or are interviews used as a way to differentiate further people that are "on the bubble" only?

Joanne: No, not all candidates who are interviewed are offered admission. The interview is offered to candidates who present strong applications as a way to get to know them better. We use the feedback from the interview as another data point to assist us in making final admissions decisions.

AlexDiaz: Are interviews mandatory for re-applicants? Is there a possibility where the GSB does not invite a re-applicant to interview but grants them admission to the program?

Carrie: Hi, AlexDiaz. Interviews are mandatory for admission for all candidates, including reapplicants.

Ikshwaku: Good Morning Rose, it was great to attend your session at Mumbai. My query is regarding the choice of second recommender. Is it fine if I choose my second recommender from an organization highlighting my community engagement? Secondly, how does the GSB ADCOM view peer recommendations?

Rose: We give students great freedom in their choice of a second recommender, so the choice is completely up to you. I would encourage you to think strategically about what you think you want to convey to the admissions committee -- then select the recommender you feel will best meet that need.

G-467796686_1: What do you recommend that applicants who have finished their interviews do? Do you encourage them to send additional material, or contact you to show continued interest?

Rose: For those who have finished their interview, I would recommend that you just relax and try to be patient. I know that this period is especially hard, but it might be a good time to spend time with friends and family, and catch up on all that "stuff" you put off in order to get your applications done.

Sarah: Good Morning, I am from Chicago and have been on campus a few times, but am trying to select a time to come for an official visit. Are there any upcoming events that you recommend I try to attend? Thanks!

Carrie: Hi, Sarah. We welcome you to explore GSB further! You can visit us through our daily campus visit program, or through attending a GSB Live event. Our next GSB Live is on November 14, 2009, and would be a great event to attend. To find out more about this event, as well as our daily campus visit program, visit: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/visit/index.aspx.

xinlei: Hi, I sent my transcript by mail a week ago, and I submitted my transcript online, but I have not received the interview. Is it necessary to have the official transcript received by admission office before you send out the interview invitation?

Joanne: Good morning. The submission of your official transcript does not have any bearing on being invited to interview. We release invitations to interview on a random basis, and we'll continue with this process until the Mid-Decision date of Wednesday, Nov. 12th.

Monica: If a candidate is not selected for interview (either is denied or goes to the waitlist), are they notified after their application is reviewed or do you wait to notify at the mid-decision date?

Joanne: Candidates who are not selected for an interview are denied admission (we do not waitlist at that point). You will be notified after your application is reviewed. All students who are not selected for an interview will be notified officially on the Mid-Decision date.

Mariana: Hello, how will students loans/scholarships will be impacted (if so) with the current economic situation in the US? Particularly for international students applying for next year?

Rose: At this point, we have no plans to change our merit-based scholarhip strategy. All students are evaluated at the time of admission; and all students are eligible for scholarships, regardless of citizenship.

G-467750195: Good morning! If admitted, I will be moving to Chicago with my wife. We are very interested in learning about the possibilities for her to work, study or engage in regular activities as a GSB-student`s partner. What can we do to explore her options?

Rose: We will be launching a new partner resources website in the next couple of weeks. In the meantime, I would encourage you to check out the partner student group website and contact the co-chairs. It all depends upon what your partner wants to do during the period of your study. We have a large and active partners group that is comprised of women with many differing interests. I think she will find a home here if this is the place for you.

Hank: To the students who are signed on: how would you describe a GSB student, what personality traits does one have? I'd like to get a feel for what the people are like and life as a GSBer...

Anil: Describing a GSB student is very difficult. There is no typical student, everyone here is different. The diversity of the student body is tremendous, and not just from a demographic standpoint. Some students are quiet, some are outgoing, some like to go out on the weekends, some will want to watch a movie. Regardless of your interests and personality type, you will find people who you can relate to instantly. You will also find people who at first you think have very different points of view from you, but after talking to them you learn from their point of view.

ohaqqi: Anil, how does the "Challenge Everything" motto apply in the academic setting at Chicago GSB?

Anil: Challenge everything is a mantra which is pervasive throughout your experience here at the GSB. Specifically to the academic setting, the professors here are incredible, and are in the upper echelons of their respective fields.

Anil: The questions they ask you are in-depth; they are not looking for a definition from the book. Even in "basic" classes you will be asked to think about a topic beyond the normal scope.

Anil: It is not only the professors however, your peers will challenge your thoughts and notions in a constructive manner. This may seem intimidating at first, but there is a tremendous amount you can learn not only from faculty, but also from your fellow students.

UBhambri: Hi. I was extremely fortunate to attend the India Immersion Program held by Chicago GSB. I interacted with alumni, discussed my profile, aspirations etc, but I also noticed that most of the alumni had undergrad degrees from the USA. Does that affect decisions- whether an applican has a US undergrad or not? Thank you.

Rose: Not at all. We admit students with educations from around the world. It was just the sample of people at that event and not representative of the broader alumni pool.

ading003: Hi, I am back with one more question. For a R1 applicant who is disqualified, when will GSB send out the rejection letter? Thank all of you for your time and patience:)

Joanne: If you are not selected for an interview, and denied admission, you will receive email notification on the Mid-Decision Date of Wednesday, November 12th. If you are selected for an interview and denied admission for Round 1, you will receive email notification on our Decision Notification Date of December 18, 2008.

NM-miles: I have a letter of rec. question. Do you take into account the title of the recommender? I work with a VP of our company regularly and was planning on having him submit a recommendation over someone who knows me as a direct report and has more time to actually complete the recommendation forms. Would this be beneficial in my application all things being equal?

Rose: What is most important is how well your supervisor knows you and how specific that person can write on your behalf -- title is not important.

NM-miles: Are interviews conducted in Chicago only, or can they be done over the phone? If they can be done over the phone, does that reflect poorly on the applicant?

Joanne: Interviews are conducted by admissions staff, students or alumni. They are held on campus or in a location convenient for the prospective student. All interviews, regardless of who conducts them, receive equal weight in the evaluation process.

Ikshwaku: Rose,what factors are taken into consideration while awarding scholarships? Will there be any increase in scholarships awarded this year because of the loan program scenario for international students is still not very clear?

Rose: Students are evaluated for scholarships based on the quality of their application at the time of submission, the specific donor requirements and our hopes about your overall impact at Chicago GSB. At this point, we are not making any changes to our scholarship strategy, but that could change in the coming months as we seek to replace our international student loan program (without a cosigner). Stay tuned.

DFG: Will the interviewer have read an interviewee's entire application before the interview?

Kurt: No, the interviewer will only have access to your resume.

Andrew: Are there interviews available in Israel or somewhere nearby? Is an interview required for admission?

Rose: Hi, Andrew. An interview is required for admission, and our alumni will be conducting interviews in Israel. Good luck!

peru: For an international applicant to get a student visa it is required to have the letter of acceptance from the MBA program, and a confirmation of the amount of scholarship or loan given. This said, from the moment you know that you are admitted how long do you usually wait to receive the documents?

Rose: The annual visa application process begins in April. The timing is somewhat dependent upon a couple of factors -- the official announcement of tuition and fees; along with the online application being available (which is overseen by the Office of International Programs). Finally, there are limitations as to when you can apply for your visa -- there is usually a window of opportunity based on type and location in the world.

Attagirl: I attended the Chicago GSB Womens Networking Event in London couple of weeks back. How can I get in touch with London Alumni working in the Finance sector?

Joanne: Great, I'm so glad you had the opportunity to attend Women's Week in London! We do Women's Week events all over the world each year to connect prospective students with our wonderful alumnae. If you'd like to reconnect with someone you met there, please send me an email at joanne.legler@chicagobooth.edu and I'd be happy to provide contact information. dilbert: I have seen/heard that salary is insignificant in the application. As for me, I did start good in terms of pay in the USA, even after a significant gap in my career and with zero US experience. Does the school look at an aspect in the appliation the way an applicant looks at it?

Kurt: Salary is asked as a method to determine progression in light of title changes. Many companies do not promote people with titles but reward them with pay increases. We do not spend a great deal of time assessing one's salary- it is just a trend indicator.

Felipe_1: Good morning, I'm from Colombia and I'm applying to Chicago GSB. Two questions: 1. Is the learning environment too competitive or is it collaborative? (I would like an student's opinion). 2. I have a business degree. May i take all the two years as elective courses or how does it work the flexible curriculum?

Anil: Great questions.

Anil: 1)The environment here is very collegial. At the GSB, we have grade non-disclosure. This means there is little or no incentive for people to compete in a negative manner. You will find your classmates always willing to help. In addition, the 2nd year students here are a tremendous asset here, and they are always willing to help out whether it be about classes, careers, balancing your schedule, or life in general.

Anil: 2)You will need to take classes outside of electives in order to graduate. While there are requirements, you are given choices as to which classes you can take. The flexibility of the curriculum is one of the greatest offerings of the GSB. The link below will guide you through the requirements.

Anil: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/academics/curriculum/index.aspx

ohaqqi: Can interviewees bring official sealed transcripts to the interview or must they be submitted beforehand?

Joanne: You are welcome to bring your sealed transcripts with you during your on-campus interview to be submitted and added to your application. If you conduct an off-campus interview, you must instead mail your transcripts in to our office.

Hasan: Hi... First of all congratulations for a new president! I was watching Obama's speech yesterday night and I must say it was one of the best from him! As an Indian with a work-exp of 6 years in IT, and multiple international stints, how much sense does it make to apply in R2? I was very interested in GSB especially because of my keen interest in market economics but I couldn't submit the app within R1. Now I am very confused and especially with the economy in the doldrums, I am not able to decide for the R2 app.

Kurt: Hasan,

Kurt: Unfortunately it is difficult for me to provide you with an answer to your question. I think we are also trying to navigate this very interesting time in the economy and I am not sure I have any definitive answers to give. The job market in terms of postions available to graduating students seems to be holding as does internships but the loan market for international students without US cosigners is a problem. We are actively working on both situations and hopefully the dark days are behind us but who knows for sure. With this in mind you can always apply and cross this bridge when you contemplate whether or not to enroll. Perhaps when the application process is over in a few months we will have a clearer picture of what the economic future holds.

peru: If a candidate is waitlisted, does this mean that he/she still have the opportunity of being interviewed later?

Kurt: No, if a candidate is waitlisted they are essentially in a holding pattern until future decisions are made. A waitlisted applicant can provide additional material to the committee for future review but this is not required.

Mate: I work in Private Equity, how strong do you think Chicago is on this part?

Rose: Private Equity is part of our Entrepreneurship offerings and we have many students and alumni who are active in this field. I would encourage you to check out our new concentration pages for more on the academic offerings as well as the student groups and their activities in this sector.

Ikshwaku: Can students take more than 21 courses in GSB or everybody is expected to complete a maximum of 21 courses ?

Kurt: A student can absolutely take more than the 21 courses required. In fact many students take advantage of additional courses whether through formal registration or simply auditing.

abdi: Could you tell me some more about loans? Who is eligible for that purpose and are there any troubles in giving loans to international students (according to the bad economic situation the Us is involved in)?. Thank you.

Rose: I would encourage you to check out my blog, the Rose Report, for more specifics. Due to the credit market crunch, a number of firms that offered loans to international students without a cosigner ended those programs suddenly last month. At this point, schools are working to replace those loan programs in time for students who will enter in the fall of 2009.

Felipe: Hi everyone and thank you for this opportunity. I'm a Colombian prospective student that will be applying to R2. I would like to know how is the process regarding Colombian interviews? Thank you.

Joanne: The process for conducting interviews is the same for all applicants. You may choose to come to Chicago to interview with staff or student staff, or you can request an alumni interview in your hometown. Instructions on how to do this will be available after you have been invited to interview.

G-467796686_1: The Hyde Park area is not considered to be very safe. Is this true? How do you find the place in terms of security?

Rose: I actually live in Hyde Park so I have not found there to be any safety issues. Like any urban area in the United States, you need to be cautious late at night, but I've been here three years and I find it to be a wonderful neighborhood.

priya: Hello, if after submitting our application we are not selected for an interview, or after the interview we are not admitted into the program, is there a process that we can review our application with the admissions staff to obtain some feedback on how to improve our application for reapplication in the following year?

Kurt: Unfortunately we do not offer feedback to denied applicants. We certainly offer a lot of transparency in the process and would do our best to answer question you might have to better prepare for a reapplicaton but we will not discuss specifics about your application.

Felipe_1: Chicago is famous for its academic rigor. My main concern is that there could be a lot of emphasis on theory and less on practice and real world problems. Could you explain further how Chicago gets practical?

Anil: This was a concern of mine as well when I was applying to programs. It is true that Chicago is known for its academic rigor. What I have seen in my time here, is that there are plenty of opportunities to gain skills beyond the theory and technical skills which will be helpful in the real world. That being said, in my experience, most of the employers which I've met have appreciated that a graduate from Chicago will have the technical skills and frameworks to tackle real world challenges on the first day of work.

Attagirl: Hi Rose, can you please talk a little bit about essay 3 (PPT)? What is the adcom trying to evaluate in a candidates profile from the response?

Kurt: There are a lot of ways to reveal your "story" throught the application but there is clearly limited real estate to reveal everything effectively. The PPT was designed to give you additional space to more freely address the gaps in your story or give us informaiton on things that you think would be important for us to know about you that we did not directly ask.

Felipe_1: Hi, I have a quetion about optional essays. I like to be concrete and don't find useful writing this essay. Is that a disadvantage for me?

Kurt: Thanks for taking the time to participate this morning and best of luck in the admissions process moving forward.

Joanne: Not at all. You should only use the optional essay if you feel the need to explain any anomolies in your application, or have other information that cannot be addressed elsewhere. It should not be used to simply write another essay.

Carrie: Thanks so much for joining us today - it was a pleasure chatting with you! We invite you to continue the conversation on our discussion forums and through visiting campus!

Rose: Thank you so much for joining us this morning. We have lots of resources available to you at Chicago GSB -- from campus visits and our GSB Live events to blogs, discussion forums and application videos. I would encourage you to take full advantage of these resources as you do your research on which business school fits your personal, professional and academic needs. Warm regards, Rose

Anil: Thank you all for your questions, I hope you have learned a great deal about Chicago GSB. Good luck with your applications!

Joanne: Thanks to everyone!