close window Close Window

Chat with Admissions

November 14, 2007—9:00-10:00 AM CST

Rose: Good morning, and welcome to our GSB admissions chat. We will begin shortly. We are open to all types of questions about the application and interview process. We have a lot of questions already in the queue and hope to be able to answer all of them. Thanks for spending your morning with us.

Saurabh: Hi Everyone! We are glad that you all are taking the time out for this conversation. Quick introduction - I am a second year student at the GSB, and am pursuing concentrations in Entrepreneurship and Strategic Management. I am a career switcher, moving from consumer finance to consulting.

Martina: Good Morning! My name is Martina Dimova and I am a 2nd year student at the GSB. I am concentrating in Finance and Strategic Management and pursuing a career in corporate finance. Prior to school I worked in finance in commercial banking and lived in Chicago.

Joanne: Hello everyone! My name is Joanne Legler and I'm Associate Director of Admissions here at Chicago GSB. We look forward to answering your questions today!

Kurt: Thank you for joining us this morning. I am one of the directors of admissions and I look forward to answering your questions.

SRC: Two questions: What particular characteristics of the Chicago GSB do you think makes it stand out among other top business schools? This is a fairly specific curriculum question, but I'm curious as to the concepts/theories/applications taught in the classroom, are they applicable to business today or are they focused on the future of business?

Rose: There are two specific value propositions that make the GSB unique in the MBA landscape. First, the GSB believes that no two people have the same background or future aspirations. Therefore, the GSB has a flexible curriculum. While we have a core curriculum, it is a menu approach (experts can take higher level courses, beginners lower level). You can take the core anytime during your two years.

The second aspect is our approach to learning. We believe that every idea/problem can be improved upon without many voices debating the approaches. Hence, our approach includes a lot of debate and engagement in the classroom. Teaching you to be a critical thinker is our goal.

As for where we focus, the tools we teach are meant to be able to help you navigate whatever challenges will come your way in the future; challenges that do not yet exist.

Jo: In case I don't receive the interview invitation today, will I still be considered till the admission process continues?

Joanne: Hi Jo! If you are not invited to interview for Round 1, you are denied admission for the year, and are no longer considered for a spot in the class. You are invited to re-apply next year, but you may not re-apply in another round during this year.

Alex: Is it mandatory to travel to USA for the interviews?

Joanne: Hi Alex, good question. No, it is not mandatory for students who have been invited to interview to come to Chicago, or the US, to conduct their interview. We conduct alumni interviews around the world. In the case that we are not able to set up an alumni interview, or you are not able to come to campus, we will conduct a staff phone interview instead. Interviews are all reviewed in the same way, regardless of where or by whom they are conducted.

PareshP: Hi. I was wondering if you could share some statistics on current GSB students who are early career applicants (0-2yrs esp); how many are there, how do these graduates fare after GSB in their 'fresh' careers - placements, salaries, recruiter response, etc...

Rose: Approximately 10% of our current student body has less than 2 years of full-time experience. These students are doing incredibly well in the classroom and to date, seem to be very successful in the recruiting process.

Alex: What is the most important in the admission process?

Rose: There is no one particular aspect of the application that is more important than the other. We use a very holistic process that consider each of the components within the context of that applicant's complete experience, taking into consideration the resources and opportunities that an applicant has had available to him/her.

pawas: Hi Saurabh, I am currently working with HP, India. I would like to know if a person working with IT want to shift careers in Investment Banking, what all things he put into applications. I have got NCFM certification which are national level. Even if I show the zest , passion and the intent to work with Investment operations in future, I am not sure if I'll be able to make that cut. Considering the write up too, is GSB really interested in taking the young students like just 2 yrs of industry experince ?

Saurabh: Pawas - First of all, being a career switcher is quite common at the GSB. In fact most people come to the school to help them move to a different career track. I would suggest that you talk about what makes you interested in Investment Banking and how you have shaped your career pathing along those lines. As far as experience is concerned, the GSB is open to people with varied experiences - you need to make sure that you highlight your professional achievements and leadership abilities.

Naz: Good Morning. In regards to essay question #2- what are you looking to learn about the applicant?

Rose: This is an opportunity for you to share with us aspirational ideas about your impact if you had a chance to step in another person's shoes.

David: Good morning - hope you are all well. The invitation to interview states that, " If possible, we highly encourage all applicants to interview on campus." Will you please take a moment to discuss the added value/benefit of interviewing in Hyde Park?

Joanne: Hi David. The encouragement for you to consider interviewing on campus has many reasons behind it. We believe that you'll get a better sense of what the GSB is all about by seeing the Harper Center, interacting with our students, visiting the Hyde Park neighborhood and meeting with our staff by visiting campus. Oftentimes, getting familiar with the space and our community in person allows to make a better informed choice if they are admitted. On the admissions end of things, it has no bearing on your admissions decision if you come to campus, or if you interview elsewhere. The choice is ultimately yours!

Julie: I have taken GMAT two times and scored upper 600s. I'm planning on taking it one more time because I have confidence that I will be able to score 700+. Will it be helpful or will it hurt me if I take the exam more than two times?

Kurt: Julie, thanks for the question. We always take the highest score GMAT so if you think you can do better it is in your best interest to take the exam again. If you consistently score in the same range on your exams you are better served to spend your time on strengthening other parts of your application, rather than focus on trying to raise your overall score.

JoseD: Can you eleborate on the Latino/Hispanic Community at GSB.

Rose: Our Latino community is a strong and growing community at the GSB. Currently it is at 5% of our population. The GSB has an office of diversity affairs that helps to support our diversity student groups at the GSB, in planning social, recruiting and conference events.

Abhilekh: Hi and a good morning to all. I have question for Rose. It's a normal perception that applying in round 2 is lowering your admission chances by many folds as compared to round 1. To what extent is this true when seen from the perspective of sheer numbers?

Rose: I want to emphasize that the round is less important than the quality of the application. While there is a statistical difference between rounds, it is quite small. Ultimately, the best applicants/applications will be admitted regardless of the round.

VarunJ: Hi. 1 more question. In the organizations where I work there is no significant opportunity for international assignments. How much importance is given to an international exposure in the job. Does the lack of it is detrimental to the application.?

Rose: We all have very different opportunities; how you leverage those resources is what is important. International experience is not required.

Toua: If a student is approved, is there any possibility for him to receive a grant from the first year?

Joanne: Hi Toua. Admitted students are considered for merit-based scholarships and fellowships at the time of admission, so, yes, first year students are awarded scholarships and fellowships. We do not offer traditional financial aid grants, so all scholarships and fellowships are competitive. You'll be notified if you've been awarded a scholarship or fellowship by our staff.

Naz: With round 1 completed, what have you found most enjoyable from the various pp slides submitted?

Rose: The powerpoint has been a very positive addition to our evaluation materials. It has provided us with a texture to the overall application that helps us to learn more about what is important to each applicant. It certainly has made the evaluation process much more enjoyable!

G-269043876: Here's another question. With Mr. Crozier's help, I could find the detailed information on the finance courses. (thank you again!) But, at first glance, the title of those courses looked somewhat too 'academic'. Does GSB have any classes on alternative investment strategy (hedge fund) or private equity? I heard that those existed, but I could not find them on the website.

Saurabh: Entrepreneurship and Private Equity is in fact one of the "hottest" concentrations at the GSB. There are a few courses that I have found to be really outstanding - Commercializing Innovation (Prof. Meadow), Entrepreneurial Fin & Private Equity (Prof. Kaplan) and New Venture Strategy (Prof. Schrager) come to mind. All these faculty members are highly regarded in the industry, and we often had eminent speakers working in the industry talk about some of the deals that they did. All in all, a great experience!

tonio_lon: My question is about GMAT score - what is the minimum score I need to apply - what do you recommend?

Kurt: We do not have a minimum GMAT score to apply. The GMAT is only one part of the application and we focus on the strength of the overall application rather than just the strength of one section. With that said the application process is getting more competitive and having a solid GMAT score certainly improves your chances of getting admitted. Our stats relative to GMAT for this years entering class are average score 709, and mid eighty percentile is 650-760. This should give you some idea of what scores are competitive.

Ashwini: How much is the Past Academic results are important while considering the candidate for Admission?

Joanne: Hi Ashwini, past academic results are merely one piece of the larger puzzle when reviewing students for admission at the GSB. Academic compatibility is important, and we look to past academic performance, test scores and any current academic work or certification programs as evidence of a student's ability to be successful. There is no one piece of an student's application that is weighed more than others; the GSB admissions process is holistic and all factors are considered.

Zi: For the detailed Resume, should we also include scholarship and details about our extra curricular activities?

Rose: Absolutely. The expanded resume is your regular resume expanded to include extracurricular activities, scholarships, awards, and more details about your work. This can be several pages long.

HydeParkHereWeCome: Can you discuss how the composition of the applicant pool for Chicago GSB has been impacted by your rebranding efforts? Not just relating to volume, but also to industry distribution, gender, international, etc.... Has there been any material changes from Rd. 1 2006?

Rose: Interesting question. Yes, there have been some differences in terms of the breadth of the applicant pool - we're seeing more women and minorities apply, and more interest quite broadly internationally. The quality of the applicant pool is very strong, but we'll have to wait and see if these application pool changes impact the shape of the class.

Anchal: I wanted to know when can we expect to hear a response of whether or not we have ben selected for the interview

Rose: Today was our Round 1 mid-decision release day. You will either have received an interview invitation by this morning or your final decision.

Min: Good morning, I have a question about the admission requirement. English is not my first language, but I went to an English-speaking university in Canada. Do I need to take the TOEFL?

Joanne: Hi Min, since you have earned an undergraduate degree or post-graduate degree from an institution in which English is the language of instruction, you do not need to take the TOEFL.

Francesco: Dear Sirs, this is Francesco Liistro, a 38 year old italian entrepreneur. I'm very interested to apply for GSB. Am I too old for the full time MBA ?

Rose: Not necessarily. You'll need to make sure you have done a full ROI analysis about pursuing your MBA via full-time versus through an executive MBA program. I'm currently doing my executive MBA program and it is an amazing program. Feel free to email me directly after the chat for more discussion.

Coke: Kurt, we met in the Santiago reception a couple of months ago. You mentioned that the GSB was interested in international students from Latin America (and I guess from all around the world). With the combination of a weaker dollar, the fear about a "sub-prime recession" and the tighter situation with the H1B visas for internationals, did you experience a drop in applications from international applicants for this round 1?

Kurt: Thank you for your question and the simple answer is applications are up across the board. The economic/visa issues you are talk about have not seemed to have an effect on applications at this point.

Jay: Could you tell me more about the specific areas of strengths of the Chicago program?

Martina: First of all, the flexible curriculum is one of the major strengths of the GSB MBA. Coming from a finance background, I did not have to take repetitive finance course and was able to pursue more courses in Marketing and Strategic Management. The flexibility also allows me to meet many of the 1st and 2nd year students in class or group settings who I otherwise would not have met. Nobel laureate professors create and exciting and challenging environment and give the building blocks for our future careers. Last but not least, the city of Chicago is an amazing place and our campus is beautiful.

HydeParkHereWeCome: Do alumni interviewers have access to additional information about the applicant? Whether before or after the interview. Or do they really only see the resume exchanged via email?

Joanne: Alumni AND staff interviews only have access to the candidate's resume before the interview. All interviews are done blind, and the interviewer does not have access to other parts of your application, other than information that you may share with an alum during an email exchange.

BMW: Hi. Thanks for your time today. I have received an invitation to interview and I was wondering if there are any advantages to interviewing earlier rather than later. I am interested in attending the Dec. 1 session because of the opportunity to have lunch with current students. Is Dec 1st the only date that this lunch program is offered?

Joanne: Hi there. It makes absolutely no difference at all when your interview is conducted; there is no advantage to interviewing "earlier". If you'd like to join us in Hyde Park on December 1st, you're more than welcome to do so. If you come to campus during the week, though, you are welcome to join us for our daily visit program, which does indeed include lunch with current students, as well as the opportunity to visit a class if you choose.

Wazee: Can an applicant who is unemployed at the time of applicant be at a disadvantage

Rose: It all depends upon your circumstances. If you are currently unemployed, you might want to use the optional essay to help us understand your situation and what other things you have been doing during this time.

Casey: Saurabh or Martina, can you talk about your experiences from the PE or new venture lab?

Saurabh: I took the PE lab and found the experience to be extremely insightful and exciting. The class blends practical working experience with faculty lectures, and most classes also had someone from the industry come in to talk about some of the deals they were working on, industry trends, and answer our questions. What I found most useful was that I got a chance to try out the industry without a long term commitment, and got to build a network with other classmates who were interested in the sector.

Idan: Hello all. I submitted my application on October 15th, got an invitation on october 31st and conducted the interview on November 11th. I would love to know what is the process from now. What precentage of the candidates recieve interview invitations and whether I will recieve the final decision only on the decision date? Thanks, Idan Varshavski

Rose: Congratulations on completing the entire application process! We invited about 60% of all applicants for an interview due to the high quality of applicants in Round 1. We will release all decisions on the final decision date. If there are any expected changes, we'll let you know in advance.

Harita: Are international applicants entertained in the third round?

Kurt: Harita, we will review international applications in the third round but it is important for applicants to recognize the visa process can take some time once you are admitted. Since third round decisions are released in May you do not have as much time to deal with any potential problems that may arise in this process thus potentially interfering with your ability to enroll in the Fall. Also we fill the class as we go so competition can get more fierce in the third round.

HydeParkHereWeCome: Since the process of awarding merit based scholarships takes place during the admission decision process can you provide some information on what additional considerations, outside of those required for admission, are considered in the scholarship decision.

Joanne: Students are considered for scholarship and fellowship opportunities based first and foremost on the strength of the application across all dimensions that we consider for admission; thus, our strongest candidates are our scholarship recipients. However, some fellowships have attributes that are specific to that award, based on the donor's requests; for instance, some awards are for women, others for minority students, and still others are awarded based on a student's chosen past or future career industry. If we need additional information from candiates, we'll be in touch with you.

abhishekg: Saurabh - I am interested in pursuing Strategic Management and Entrepreneurship just like yourself. Could you tell me which classes and professors you found particularly interesting and useful to you in these concentrations?

Saurabh: Well, I have really enjoyed all my classes so far. Some of the ones that stood out were the experiential learning ones - Management Lab and the Private Equity Lab. It was a great learning experience to actually try out different industries in a risk free environment. For PE and VC, the courses offered by Prof. Steve Kaplan and Prof. Scott Meadow were really useful.

JoseD: I am a CPA at a Big Four accounting firm and I'm seeking a career enhancement in finance and economics. Would passing the CFA1 exam improve my chances of admission if my GMAT and GPA were not stellar (640s and 3.2, respectively)

Kurt: From an admission standpoint we certainly recognize the value of the CFA and rigor of the exams. These exams are certainly seen as differentiator in the process and can help us in terms of assessing your quantitative interests and abilities but this will not necessarily overcome a weaker academic profile. It can help but not as much as trying to strengthen your GMAT exam.

tonio_lon: My question is about GMAT score - what is the minimum score I need to apply - what do you recommend? And also can lower score, let's say below 650, be made up with nice essays, CFA, etc?

Joanne: The GSB does not have a minimum GMAT score, so anyone is welcome to appy with any score, and we do not have a 'recommended' score. Lower scores can not be "made up with" other aspects of the application, based on what the tests measure. However, a lower GMAT score can be balanced out with other pieces of evidence of academic success and indication of success at the GSB, such as GPAs, other certifications, writing abilities as demonstrated in the essays or duties at work.

G-269108423: I have recently joined a new bank - today is my 4th day with the bank - and I would like to know if I should include this job on my resume as I have not yet had the opportunity to be involved in major projects. At this point, I do not feel the addition of the new job to my resume would add value to my application.

Rose: Yes, you should definitely include this information on your resume, along with the reasons for why you recently changed jobs. It will help us to understand the broader context about your experience.

G-269032779: This question is for Saurabh/Martina: Can you share with us your interview experience? Where and with whom was it conducted? What kind of questions did your interviewers ask you?

Martina: I interviewed on campus with a Graduate Assistant. It was about half an hour interview and my interviewer made me feel very comfortable and calm. We chatted about my college and career experience in finance at a commercial bank. We also talked about various situations during my career or extracurricular activities and how I have applied my skills and knowledge. Overall, my interviewing was an easy-going person and time flew.

Umed: How often do people change their career choice during the process of learining at GSB?

Saurabh: Very very frequently. As I said in my response to another question, a large majority of GSB'ers have come to the school to help them switch to a different industry. I myself am a switcher, and was pleasantly surprised by the amount of help that is provided - through academics, career services, and other GSBers.

Joebrez: As I've read, business schools are accepting younger and younger students. Should I be concerned as I'm an older applicant?

Rose: No, because we still admit a very broad and diverse population. Our average age is just under 28 and the range of ages in the entering class is 22-38.

mba2010: Hi, what % of students at chicagogsb would be 30+ and how does chicago look at such applicants

Rose: I'm not sure what the exact percentage is, but the range of ages in our entering class is 22-38. The distribution is much like a bell curve with the majority of students falling in the 26-30 range.

JoseGuillermo: Hi. I'm writting from Brazil and my first question is about the translation of the required documents. Can I send the scanned originals and do the translation myself or does the translation have to be "official"?

Joanne: Hi Brazil! To apply for admission, you may translate yourself and/or send scanned copies of your original documents, such as transcripts (you may also use the unofficial transcript template found on our appliation website - which would probably be easier). However, if you invited to interview, you will be required to submit official, translated documents.

Steve: What are some of the qualities that you look for in an older applicant, such as candidates in their early to mid thirties?

Rose: A deeper level of self awareness and the ability to articulate path and plan.

kw_chicago: Good morning! I was wondering how the admissions committee regards applicants that are looking to B-school as a catalyst for a change of career? I am currently in the consulting field with an engineering background, but would actually like to turn to finance, although I'd like to keep my options open. Is this bit of uncertainty looked at negatively?

Saurabh: A career change after B-school is something that happens very frequently, so you won't be the only person doing it. I would suggest that you take the opportunity in the essays and the interview to talk about the reasons behind the change, what have you done so far to move along that path, and how do you think the GSB will be able to help.

Mo-z: What are the chances of an applicant not in the in the 80% GMAT score range to get admitted?

Joanne: Hi Mo-z. There's no real answer to your question, other than to say that all scores are considered when we review applications for admission. We see many students each year who are successful at gaining admission based on the strength of other aspects of their application, but who have scored low relative to our average GMAT score. We take a holistic view of each application to make the best match between students and the GSB; test scores are but one piece of that puzzle.

physicist: How is providing a third letter of reference viewed? Especially from say a graduate thesis advisor who worked and supervised in a research setting for 4-5 years?

Kurt: A third letter of recommendation is not something we encourage but we will look at if you send it in. The reality is a third recommendation should add considerable new value to your application. It should not recite what is in previous recommendations, and it should make sense to us as to why you included it. My recommendation would be to select two recommenders who capture what you want to express and not provide a third. We purposely changed the second recommendation to whomever you want to avoid extra recommendations. If you do provide a third we will not discard it, but anymore than three is unacceptable.

Akshaya: Also, is work experience an absolute must for admission? I would like to complete my MBA before emabarking on a job. Will Chicago GSB give much more preference to people who have worked than to freshers just out of college?

Rose: I feel strongly that an applicant have some level of professional work experience prior to the MBA program. The length of experience is not as important as the quality. Being able to explain why now the MBA will be key for applicants who are applying early in their careers. We do admit some students each year directly from college. The typical profile include strong academics, extensive leadership contributions and several summer internship experiences.

Reddi: Does family business experience count into expeirience along with the normal experience?

Rose: Absolutely. You'll need to help us understand the kind of business and the level of responsibility you've had.

PD: As far as admissions decisions are concerned, are applicants who apply in the 3rd round at any disadvantage compared to applicants who apply in the first 2 rounds? Does the acceptance rate vary from round to round?

Joanne: Hi PD. Round 3 admissions can get quite competitive based on the yield from students who were admitted in Rounds 1 and 2. Last year, for instance, there were fewer spots left in the class for Round 3 applicants because so many Round 1 and 2 admits decided to enroll at the GSB. However, we always encourage students to apply when the time is right for them. The acceptance rates can vary from round to round to round, but are generally pretty similar across all three rounds, based on the number of students who apply in each round. Keep in mind though that many scholarship and fellowship opportunities will be long gone by Round 3, so if you're sensitive to that, you might want to consider Round 1 or 2 instead.

Umed: Rose, Could you please elaborate how exacly GSB program nurtures leadership skills? Rose: This is a critical part of your GSB experience. From the minute you step on campus, your leadership development program will begin with LEAD. This is the one required course that all students must take together. You'll be assigned into cohorts and squads and will do a large variety of experiential learning modules together that are peer facilitated (by second year facilitators). But your leadership training extends well beyond that course into the classroom, in the recruiting experience and through co-curricular opportunities. We focus on several things - self awareness, awareness of others and the perception gaps between.

Ash: Good morning, please tell us about the culture and atmosphere of Chicago.

Saurabh: Well, I could go for hours talking about this, but I'll try to be brief and hit the main point. One of the things that I noticed very early on was that while the GSB is an intellectual powerhouse, the students here were friendly, modest and easy-to-talk-to. I had also heard horror stories about intense competition that exists at B-schools, but didn't see any of that at the GSB. There is a wonderful co-operative feeling at the school, which came in really handy as we practiced cases for our interviews, besides other things. Finally, as I looked at various schools, I did notice that one of the differentiators of the GSB was that students were quite passionate about what they were learning at the school, and didn't look at the school as a hole punching mechanism.

MMBrazil: Hi, good morning, a current student from the GSB told me that although the final date to announce the result is January 3rd, a lot of admissions are extended prior to this date, is that correct ?

Rose: No, that's not correct. All decisions are released on the deadline date. We may begin to make phone calls to admitted students a day or so in advance of this deadline, but that changes each year.

Jay: Could you give me an idea of the resources that Chicago GSB provides in the area of Entrepreneurship?

Martina: Jay, we have the Polsky Entrepreneurship Center which is located in the GSB Harper Center and is an extensive resource for anyone looking to do anything with entrepreneurship. The center has various challenges and competition which students enter with business plans; it also has an �incubator� where people who win these challenges are give work space to develop their ideas. There are also opportunities through the center to have internships in start up or non for profit organization after your first year. There are also various entrepreneurship class with many of the well known professors � Deutsch, Schrager, Kaplan, etc.

AShu: Hi, what is it that you see in the interview with the candidate? What is the nature of questions that are asked in the interview? What does a candidate do in the interview that makes you reject him/her?

Kurt: Ashu, there is not one particular thing that a candidate does in a interview that will cause us to reject them. Essentially the interview is there to assess fit with the program. If you have done your due diligence and are familiar with the GSB and how it connects with your MBA and career goals that is what we try to draw out. In the end I would say know your story and try to have fun. We just want to get to know you better, not try to break you under pressure.

Harita: Hi... I wanted to ask if international applicantds are entertained in the third round? Due to unavoidable circumstances, the third round seems to be the only one possible for me to submit a application that I would be satisfied with. Also I am a reapplicant. So two issues 1) Internal applicant in 3rd round? 2) reapplciant in third round-looks negative but got unavoidable for me Rose: Yes, we carefully consider applicants in every round. As a reapplicant, you might want to explain why you were unable to reapply earlier so we understand the context for your round 3 application.

urshala: I read that an interview at Chicago is not a "make or brake" type of thing, so what is the main purpose of the interview? If the applications have already been reviewed and the interview can't "make or brake" the applicant then what is the adcom evaluating during an interview?

Rose: You are correct -- the application is not the final decision point in the overall application components. It is, however, a third party evaluation of your communication skills, ability to engage in a conversation and communicate path and plan. It's a conversation with someone who has never met you before. In the application, we have your thoughts, your recommender's thoughts, and the interviewer provides a third point of reference from someone who know the GSB well.

Chandan_1: Hi, This is Chandan from India. Will the interviews scheduled for 1st December in Bangalore to be conducted by alums or 2nd year students?

Kurt: Chandan, the interviews being conducted in Bangalore will be conducted by alumni. Our students will be busy taking their finals that week.

BD: Good Morning! Thank you for holding this chat. Has the potential for a recession in US had any noticeable effect on on-campus recruiting and/or the number of applicants thus far for fall 2008?

Rose: While the banking industry is being more cautious in setting recruiting targets in the US, most of our corporate partners are doing extremely well. The GSB has strong corporate relationships around the world in a very large set of industries and functions.

Keaton: Saurabh, I am intending to pursue a career in strategy consulting after my MBA. What recommendations would you give to a student who is considering this career path? How has the GSB helped your prepare for this path?

Saurabh: Well, the GSB was immensely helpful, if not critical for my career change. It sounds too good to be true, but during my job interviews, I frequently came across scenarios wherein I could draw from case discussions that I had gone through in my classes. I would also highlight the help provided by the student community - both my seniors and my own classmates. It was absolutely critical to have a group of people with whom you could practice interviews, give and receive feedback, and go out for a drink to get a break from it all! Finally, during my summer internship, I found the alum network at my firm to be extremely useful - I immediately got the inside scoop on what to do and what not to do to be successful during the summers.

Chicago08MBA: Hi Rose. I received an interview and am very excited. However, I later realized Chicago offered interviews to quite a large % of applicants. I am wondering if you can share what % of interviewees will gain admission? If I do well in the interview, will my chances be pretty good? Or is the interview simply a minor data point? Basically, I am trying to gauge how important the interview is, as I am depending on it since my stats are quite "mediocre". Thanks!

Rose: The interview is a very important piece of the puzzle, but as I mentioned above, not the make or break component. This is a very positive signal in our interest in you. Our process is very holistic so don't worry about your stats.

Trantor: What do I need to prepare for the interview?

Kurt: Trantor, I would encourage you to know you story. Why are you looking to do an MBA? Why do you feel Chicago GSB is a good fit? We want to assess you fit with the program. The more confident you are in your mind that you are a good fit and communicate that in an interview the greater you chance of leaving a positive impression.

G-269045433: Hello Martina and Saurabh, for your perspective what is the main difference between the GSB program and others that offers similar variables such as "flexible curriculum, excelent faculty members, etc"?

Martina: What has made a big difference for me at the GSB have been the people here - I have made long lasting friends and have established a powerful network. My fellow students are smart, resoureceful, helpful and giving. Our faculty is down-to-earth and gifted. Everyone supporting us - Dean of Students Office, Career Services, etc. have played a particularly helpful role in my life at the GSB.

Francesco: In terms of career what companies hire most from GSB. I mean, is it more a finance school or companies "doing" something such as automotive or distribution hire from GSB ?

Rose: Our students are known for being great critical thinkers, so our students are sought after in many industries. Yes, we're known for our finance programs so we have a large number of banking and consulting firms recruit at Chicago, but we have enormous relationships around the world in a wide variety of industries.

che: When you mention that the optional essay should be used to explain anomalies in an applicant's application. What is considered a "low GPA" ?

Kurt: A low GPA can be addressed in the optional essay. I would focus on giving us a concrete explanation rather than make excuses for yourself, but if you want to provide an explanation the optional essay is the place to provide it.

JTang: Good Morning, and thanks for taking the time to answer our questions. How important would you say focus is in the MBA process? It seems to me that most people have very definitive plans as to what they want to do going into business school. If I only have a rough idea of what future career path I wish to pursue, would it be prudent to solidify my plans before the application process is over?

Rose: Knowing yourself well is the most critical part of the process. Because the MBA experience is a short two years, having a good sense of your direction is important in terms of getting the most out of your MBA experience. Having said that, broad goals are fine as long as you can make a clear case for why you need and MBA and how the MBA can prepare you for the future.

Matt: Without a heavy quantitative/finance background, can I still have an enriching GSB experience?

Martina: Definitely! Many of my fellow students come from Liberal Arts background and have no difficulty adjusting. There are pre-term courses in Accounting and Statistics that will help you before the fall quarter starts if you need it, but many have not taken those and still were able to get in the swing of things very fast.

physicist: Good Morning. How are applicants with advanced degrees (Ph.D.'s) viewed if we can provide an explanation for why and MBA and why Chicago? Is there any advantage/disadvantage? Also, am I correct in assuming that research & teaching experience while a student should not ideally be classified as work experience?

Rose: Chicago GSB welcomes students with advanced degrees. You'll need to make it clear as to why another degree makes sense. You'll also need to give us your perspective of how your work experience (in the lab or teaching) would be relevant in the classroom. We have a number of PhDs currently in the program.

vikchad: I have some specific questions about IMBA (i) How does IMBA differ from normal MBA, (ii) what additional courses are required for IMBA (iii) Are the courses taken for IMBA different from the courses in International Business concentration. (iv). Does the candidate have the flexibility to chose any international language other than his native language and english for the language requirement Or is there a fixed set of languages to chose from.

Joanne: The IMBA has three additional components, including a required study abroad quarter (through our International Business Exchange Program); proficiency in a language outside your native one; and 5 courses that are designated International Business. These can be taken as some of your 11 electives, and can be ones that are taught within the Int'l Business concentration; however, some are taught in other concentrations and even in other schools (Law, for instance). There is no fixed set of languages from which to demonstrate, but a very remote language might be harder to test for proficiency. Our international programs staff is terrific and very accessible, and can answer any questions you might have, so let us know if you'd like to get in touch with someone there. Other than that the IMBA and the MBA are the same!

jacksprat: How important is knowing a second language to the application? Is it frowned upon if the applicant only speaks English?

Rose: It's not a requirement by any means, but if you do speak another language, it's helpful for us to know.

Naz: I have heard the quantitative score is more important on the GMAT- that is needs to be above 80th percentile. If we are slightly under, however our work experience displays the need for quantitative and analytical skills- will this compensate?

Kurt: Naz, we value the overall score first and foremost and although we look at the sub scores we certainly do not have minimum scores in these areas. If you are weak in one area we certainly look at work experience, coursework and other indicators to help us understand the full breath of your abilities. We never focus solely on the GMAT to provide us with this type of information.

Mauricio: I'm applying with my wife in the 2nd round. My question is whether we should inform this in the additional essay. If yes, what should we inform?

Joanne: Hi Maruicio. Yes, please inform us that you and wife are applying together. There is an opportunity to do so on our application form, and you can feel free to use Essay #4 as well if you need to expand on that at all. We just need the name of your partner or spouse; no other information is needed.

Ilya: I am interesting in Entreprenueship. Is it worth applying to GSB which has the reputatuion of Finance BS?

Saurabh: I believe that Entrepreneurship is one of the strongest areas at the GSB. Of course, I have a special interest in the field, and have already received that concentration, so I might be biased. Two things really stood out for me: First, the amount of experiential learning opportunities that are offered, even to first years, are mind blowing. The PE/VC Lab, the entrepreneurial internship program, New Venture Challenge and "Building the New Venture" immediately come to mind. Second, the GSB has some star faculty members who have been intimately involved in the field and are highly respected for their views (for example: Prof. Scott Meadow, Prof. Steve Kaplan and Prof. Waverly Deutsch)

Marpedo: Would you be able to breakdown the learning style? For example what percentage would you say is case study, theory, experiential learning, etc.

Martina: Marpedo, the teaching style really depends on the CASE you are taking. For most of my classes, half the time we discuss the assigned class and apply it to previously discussed theory and the other half the professor lectures. There are also many experiential classes - Building the new Venture, Management Lab, Private Equity Lab where you can "get your hands dirty."

Rayna: here is a question regarding on-campus interview: for applicants who plan make a trip to Chicago for an on-compus interview, are there any other activities orgaznized for them, say a campus tour?

Rose: Yes, Chicago has a full campus visit program available for students. It's helpful if you can register for that visit when you come for your interview. We have an information session, building tour, and depending upon the day, class visits. Here's the link: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/admissions/visiting.aspx

Shraum: Hi, I am an Indian and was wondering if I could be considered as a minority if admitted ?

Rose: If you are a US citizen or US permanent resident, you can mark your ethnicity as Asian.

Vijay: Good morning, I wish to know about scholarships and co-signor requirements for getting a grant or loan.

Joanne: Good morning, Vijay. There are no specific requirements for scholarship or fellowship consideration. The requirements for international loans are listed on our website at http://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/admissions/financialaid.aspx.

VarunJ: For someone with less than 2 years of experience, what is the most important area of the application you concentrate on?

Rose: As this is a holistic process, there is no one particular area. There are a number of attributes that we seek: self awareness, the ability to communicate why now; excellent academic history, and a sense of your contributions and learning from the experience you have had to date.

jeff_1: Hi, How competitive is the atmosphere between students in the GSB?

Martina: Not at all. I have found people here very helpful during my group work, recruiting research or interview preparation. Whenever I need help with anything - professional, class or personal, I know I can turn to my friends here.

JoseD: I plan on attending Business School with 3-4 years of experience. As an undergraduate, I was heavily involved in my community, both on and off campus. Can I submit my college activities in the application or should only focus on my post-college extracurricular activities? More than quantity, should I focus on the ones I found to be of most interest to me?

Kurt: Jose, there is a section in the application where we ask you to provide us with college activities. We want to see your overall commitment to community at all stages of your life. Overall we want to see both breath and depth of experience, we are not looking for laundry lists. Provide information on things that represent your real passions and commitments not just things that take up your time.

che: Saurabh - I have a similar background to yours with similar aspirations. So far, which course have your found most interesting and useful to helping you achieve your ambitions?

Saurabh: Well, I found the experential learning courses to be really exciting and helpful. I took on the management lab in the very first quarter, which exposed me to a real life consulting assignment. Microeconomics is always a useful course, and studying Econ at the GSB is an outstanding experience. I would also add that the student community was immensely helpful - the management consulting club, the second years and my fellow classmates.

Abhilekh: Hi Joanne. Good to see you again. I am from India and met you in Singapore and was the one holding you till the end in reception! I have one question here. I am going to be a reapplicant this year. Last year I was denied after interview. Considering that this year the application has changed almost entirely, to what extent will the last year's application be relevant?

Joanne: Hi Abhilekh, for re-applicants, we have access to past applications, but don't use that information to review the current application, other than to review past transcripts or test scores. The new application must stand on its own merits; that's why we're not asking for anything special or different for re-applicants this year.

SRC: You touched on this earlier, but can you be more specific regarding the powerpoint slides. Of the applicant's slides that you've reviewed thus far, what sets apart the good ones from the exceptional ones?

Rose: The best ones I have read so far have given me a real sense of the person's value systems and life beyond their professional experiences. There's no right or wrong approach here; it all depends upon what you want to communicate to the admissions team.

Harita: Thanks. Also I went through the financial assistance. I am keen on a scholarship. I understand that all applicants are considered for scholarships but what kind of students end up getting them? Is Academic excellence a major criteria?

Joanne: Hi Harita, yes, academic excellence is a big criteria for scholarship consideration. The profile for scholarship and fellowship recipients is above our average profile for students entering the class, which can be found online.

PD: How important is creativity/graphics in the powerpoint slides?

Kurt: PD, content is the most important part of the PPT slides. We are concerned with the relevance of the content to business school and the GSB rather than creative gimmicks or wow factor. Think of the PPT as a strategic tool to address those things you did not feel got ample attention in the rest of the application. Do not use this an opportunity to impress us with creative information that tells us nothing about your fit with the program.

Rose: We're coming to the end of our session and we have lots of questions yet to answer. We'll likely go over by a few minutes to see if we can get through the queue. We'll also post the full transcript tomorrow. Thanks for your patience.

Jeb: Joanne, as a follow-on to Toua's questions, what role does the GMAT score play in the awarding of merit-based scholarhsips?

Joanne: Hi Jeb. As with consideration for admission, the GMAT score plays a role, certainly, but not any bigger role than other factors in considering admission or scholarship decisions.

JoseD: This question is for Saurabh and Martina, can you please describe your involvement in the GSB/Chicago community. What clubs are you involved in and can you describe a memorable experience/event(s) while at GSB (outside of the classroom).

Martina: Hi JoseD, I am the co-chair of the Financial Analysis and Treasury Group which is a career-oriented group for people interested in company finance career. I am also involved Dean's Student Admissions Committee an active member of Chicago Women in Business and Net Impact.

Vijay: Will a certified copy of the transcripts be fine or should these be sent from the Registrar only ?

Joanne: Vijay, a certified copy of a transcript will suffice.

Funkytr: Hello, I would like to know the main differences between fulltime MBA and evening MBA programs. On the other hand I will take the toefl at January 12 2008 and the gmat on 23th of January 2008. So probably my results will be known through the end of or mid of February.Therefore the application, what should I do with out this results? What do you suggest ?

Rose: The academic experience is exactly the same at the GSB (same faculty, same courses). The experience is quite different for people who work - trying to fit it all in will be a challenge. Also, part-time programs do not allow you to pursue a summer internship opportunity, but does provide career service support for full-time search at the end of your program. You need to have taken your tests prior to the application deadline. For those who miss it by just a week or two, can petition the committee to submit these components on a later date.

Alexander: Good morning to all. Do you have any special requirements or recommendations for re-applicants?

Joanne: No, we do not have any special requirements for re-applicants. We do recommend that you complete the application as if you were applying for the first time; the only difference is that you do not have to re-submit transcripts or test scores, unless there have been changes from your previous application.

Naz: What percent of your applicants are typically women? Was applications overall up again in round 1?

Rose: Applications continue to grow at the GSB. Our entering class is 35% women.

Arvimoha: Good morning everyone. This questions is for Saurabh and Martina. As part of the application process, prospective students thoroughly research through the website, attend events and contact alumni. I am sure you did the same. Notwithstanding this work, is there something about the Chicago environment (academic and personal) that has taken you by surprise in the time that you've spent there?

Saurabh: Well, I did see a few surprises, but all of them positive ones. First of all, I had heard a lot about flex curriculum, but it was only after coming to the GSB that I realized how much useful it was. I hadn't imagined being able to consult to the strategy head of a Fortune 75 firm in my first quarter at the GSB! The other thing that stood out was how much help I received from the second years - from assisting with picking classes to preparing us for interviewing. I'd say those two aspects were the biggest surprises.

Brett: Good Morning. How often do you come across "Non-traditional" letters of recommendations? Can a letter of recommendation from a peer be viewed as positive if it provides a unique perspective of the applicant?

Kurt: Brett, we see a good amount of non-traditional recommendations, but they should give us a deeper perspective of who you are and what you can contribute to a business school program. Providing us a recommendation from a friend can be a nice piece of information but it needs to go beyond the superficial.

zac: How does GSB Dept of Admissions measure their success as it pertains to the selection process? How do you know you selected the candidates that "fit"?

Rose: Admissions is much more of an art than a science. We work to craft a very diverse class (broadly including industries, functions, citizenship, gender, etc.). Our success is typically measured when the students come to campus and begin the program. Our faculty, administrators and corporate recruiters give us constant feedback.

abhishekg: Is there an advantage to applying in Round 1 with respect to financial aid?

Joanne: The GSB does not offer traditional financial aid; scholarships and fellowships are selected here in admissions, and financial aid will work with students to secure any needed funds in the form of loans. There are some scholarship and fellowships that will not be available in Round 3, but loans are available to every enrolled student, regardless of round.

vikchad: I saw a question asked about the younger applicant pool, is there any statistics on the number of admitted students with 9-10 years of experience

Rose: I mentioned this a bit earlier. While the age range is 22-38, there is a definite bell curve effect between 26-30. There is a good number of students in the 30-38 range but it trails down.

Ashwini: Martina- Can you please tell me how is student life out there at GSB?

Martina: Hi Ashwini, just like our flexible curriculum, student live varies widely. I spend time on campus with classes on Thursdays and Fridays. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday if I don't have any group meetings on campus, I usually go to the Gleacher Center or a coffee shop with some friends. We have many informal get together - dinner and outings almost every day of the week - so in the end it's up to you how and how intense you would like to participate. Weekends are busy with birthdays, dinners and brunches get togethers.

jacksprat: Is the application growth mainly international or is it also coming from U.S. based applicants?

Rose: Both. Our domestic applicant pool grew at a greater rate than our international pool in round 1.

Wazee: How do you assess past undergraduate GPAs averaged at 5.0

Joanne: You are encouraged to submit your GPA and grades as they were given to you. While your question isn't entirely clear, bear in mind that we see GPAs on all kinds of scales, and have learned how to assess a candidate's success based on the GPA scale and transcripts provided. Please leave them as they are when you apply; do not try to convert them to a 4.0 scale!

Jo: Hi...I wanted to understand that will the admissions committee be in a position to share as to the weakness in an application and the reason for admission denial? I would love to receive fedback incase i don't make it, and probably make efforts in that direction, for my re-application to be stronger

Kurt: Jo, unfortunately we will not be giving deny feedback to applicants. We hope that our transparent approach to admissions overall will help reapplicants address weaknesses they had in their application.

pw: Hi, I'm interested in switching careers from Engineering to Equities Research and know that many people do the MBA for a Career switch. As such, could you please expand on the Career Services available that help students with career switches?

Saurabh: Well, the Career Services provides a multitude of ways to prepare for the switch. For example, there are career-specific mock interviews arranged by career services and conducted by second years. A candidate's performance is recorded and then played back to evaluate not just the content, but also the communication style and body language. The career services office also arranges conversations with alum in the field, and there are career advisors to help you tackle a tricky issue or situation. In summary, there is more help than you'll ever need!

Daniel_1: Hi. Do you have any advise for phone interviews as compared to others?

Joanne: Hi, no specific advice other than one I learned at a conference recently - stand up when you talk! It'll help - I don't know why exactly, but it works!

Hetal_1: Being an international student , will the summer internships with the companies be of a hindrandce as i have known that working in the states with the student visa will be difficult !

Saurabh: Most big firms are quite comfortable and accustomed to the visa process. Moreover, you don't need a working visa for a summer internship - so it's not really an issue.

vugs: what are the key differences between the executive and Full time MBA? Will employers discriminate based on the type of MBA?

Rose: At the GSB, the programs are exactly the same in terms of academics (faculty and courses). The difference really comes down to the quality and experience of your peers. At the GSB, firms all recognize the program as being equal to the full-time MBA Program. Which is not necessarily the case at other institutions.

Ikram: Hello there. Martina, I had a followup question to your response - Coming from a finance background, how has you found the GSB program helpful to you? Could you give me a few examples

Martina: Hello Ikram, I actually found it very helpful, as I don't have to take any basic finance classes and can concetrate more on rounding out my skills with Marketing and Strategic Management classes I have found so fascinating here. As I am pursuing a career in company finance in a consumer driven industry, sharpened finance skills and newly acquired marketing and strategic management skills have really been helpful.

Abhilekh: Hi Rose. Is it true that when it comes to recruitment it's tough for international students to obtain jobs rather than American nationals and permanent residents? Considering the changing H1-B norms to what extent is this assertion true?

Rose: I recently talked to Julie Morton our Associate Dean for Career Services and she said that our international students have been equally successful as our domestic students. The key is flexibility in terms of your requirements - location, industry, position. The US market might be very tough for banking this next year, but will be robust internationally. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Rose: Thank you so much for joining our admissions chat this morning. While we will no longer be accepting questions, we will be working to answer the many questions that remain in the queue. If you cannot stay with us, we completely understand. Check back with us tomorrow to see the full transcript. Many thanks, Rose G-

269075029: In terms of extra-curricular activities during college that should be listed as part of the application is it appropriate to discuss participation in a study abroad program?

Joanne: You can feel free to list study abroad as an extracurricular, but please make sure it's also listed as part of your academic program (you'll need to provide a transcript for this term abroad).

Zi: For the detailed Resume, can we also include scholarship and details about our extra curricular activities?

Joanne: Hi Zi. Yes, that is what the expanded resume is for! Feel free to include this information, and as many details as you feel is necessary. The resume can and may be a few pages long, longer than what you may be used to in applying for jobs or other schools.

MMBrazil__Guest_: I heard (I think in the November Newsletter), that the ppt essay would not evaluate the creativity of the applicant, only the content. Is that right ?

Rose: That's correct. It's the content that matters.

JoeLewis: Are applications read line by line, so that it doesn't matter where specific information is? Or are they read as in a job application where the reader will stop reading when they "think" they know enough, but may miss certain information?

Kurt: JoeLewis, applications receive multiple complete reads. We evaluate all aspects of the application before making any conclusions or recommendations to the committee. At a minimum 3 people will look at an application before a decision to deny an applicant is made.

SuperD__Guest_: If a person has been unemployed during some period of his career , can the optional essay used for explaining the same?

Joanne: Yes, any gaps in employment can certainly be explained in Essay #4.

gochicago: What types of resources does the Posky center offer?

Saurabh: There are a ton of experiential learning courses offered by the Polsky center. Besides these, there is a ton of assistance provided to some of the top ideas coming out of the New Venture Challenge. The center provides these with contacts in the field, office space, legal help, and assistance of faculty members.

Chris: With reapplicants, how much do you look at the prior year's application before deciding whether or not to invite the reapplicant for an interview? Do you just look at this year's application?

Kurt: Chris, we do look at your prior years applications, but we do not do a complete re-read. Instead we try and assess strengths and weaknesses of the prior application and see how you have grown and developed since then.

Ashwini: Joanne - Can I apply for the admission this year and if selected, can my candidature considered for next session?

Joanne: Hi Ashwini, no, you may not apply this year if you do not intend to enroll in the Fall of 2008. We do not accept deferments; you should apply for the year in which you intend to start school.

Harita: Hi. i have 4 plus years of work experiance in a central bank. The organization is semi-bureaucratic where promotions are time bound. In such a case, how would the AdCom view my application-as while it may have tich experiance, it would not have fast leaps in pay or designation

Rose: We are completely familiar with the more traditional organizations. What is important is that you can speak to your contributions at each stage.

Manesh: Saurabh, you mentioned you were using your MBA to switch careers, was it fairly simple to get an internship over the summer?

Martina: Saurabh had to run to class, but let me try to answer this one. It has been fairly easy to switch careers. The assistance provided by Career Services has been crucial in terms of resume reviews, interview prep and any other help. Second years play a viable role in helping us sort through various opprtunities and challenges as well. Last but not least, our fellow students are there to support and help with anything we need.

Matt_1: I contacted my assigned interviewer 2 days ago and haven´t received a response yet. How long will it take admissions to assign a new one for me once I send them an email?

Joanne: Hi Matt; if you haven't heard from your alumni interviewer after an attempt to contact him or her to set up an appointment, let us know so that we can try to contact the alum ourselves. Please send an email to admissionsinterviews@chicagobooth.edu and someone will get back to you.

G-269108423: On the same lines as the PE lab- are there a lot of formal recruiting opportunities through the GSB for venture capital and private equity? I know a number of MBA programs rely on networking for VC and PE recruiting, rather than formal programs.

Rose: Most PE/VC jobs are done at all schools through networking, since most of these jobs are just-in-time recruiting (rather than planned hires). The GSB has a very active PE/VC recruiting program, but warning these jobs are always the last to recruit - you need to be fairly risk tolerant to pursue these fields since you'll have to wait until the end of the year.

Coke: Hi, being international and not interested in pursuing a career in Consulting or IB at all, do I have less chances to be admitted to the GSB?

Rose: The GSB welcomes students from all over the world regardless of their post MBA aspirations. There's lots of room for diversity here.

G-268981606: For international applicants on a work visa, is it really a disadvantage in the appication review process if the short-term goals are focused towards working in the US? How relevant is the current visa status in the admission review process?

Kurt: Many international students have intentions of trying to work in the US post-MBA. That is certainly viable short-term goal. My assumption is though that there is much more to your goal than simply working in the US. From our perspective we want to see how complete and how realistic your goals are given your background and future goals.

MikeD447: Regarding Class Visits, how early do you need to arrive to sign up to visit a class? Additionally, is it rude to leave a class early to attend your interview or a tour of the center? I have a tight schedule with catching an afternoon plane and would like to see as much as possible.

Joanne: Hi Mike, if you plan to visit a class, please try to let us know as soon as you can so that we can be sure there is room for you; if you tell us the morning you arrive, we may not be able to accommodate you. I would advise you not to leave class in the middle; if your timing is such that you would need to leave a class before the break (typically halfway in, at an hour and a half), I'd advise you not to attend at all. While we can appreciate your desire to maximize your time here, we also want to respect our faculty members' wishes to not have their classes disrupted. Hope that helps!

JoseD: There is a pre-MBA program offered by a local university where students can take three Graduate/MBA courses in Mathematical Methods for Business, Statistics, and Managerial Economics. I am considering enrolling in the program in order to build a second transcript (GPA is currently a 3.2). How does GSB view second transcripts. Does GSB accept transfer credits? I've heard that taking Graduate/MBA courses elsewhere is looked down upon by some universities, is this the case at GSB?

Rose: Intellectual curiosity is a good thing, and preparing for your MBA experience is a good thing. Unfortunately, Chicago GSB does not allow transfer credits from outside institutions.

TC: What should an applicant bring with him/her to the interview other than a copy of the most recent resume?

Joanne: Hi TC. You do not have to bring anything else, other than perhaps a notebook in case you want to ask your interviewer some questions that you want to write down the answer to, and maybe some business cards. That's it!

Maverick_1: Dear All, I understand that GSB lays significant emphasis on the diversity of the class. Is there a pre-determined cap on the number of students from a particular country, in order to ensure that this diversity is maintained?

Rose: No, Chicago GSB does not have any specific quotas by country or industry. You'll notice that our numbers by country fluctuate a great deal, since we admit the best students regardless.

MMBrazil: I will conduct my interview next Monday (here, in Brazil) but I would like to join the December 1st meeting in Hyde Park, it is ok or I do have to interview to be in this group ?

Joanne: You are welcome to join us that day if you are in town! We will offer a tour at 11:40-12:30 and a 12:30-1:30 lunch with students; after lunch, we'll offer another tour if you don't make the earlier on.

Nidz: I happened to meet a few women alumni in a chicagogsb women alumni event in London. Apparently, they did not have interview when they were selected. Does it still hold true or are interviews have been made compulsory?

Rose: The interview is required for admission. This might not have been the policy at the time these women were admitted.

kiran_1: Hi, can applicants request a feedback on their application?

Joanne: Unfortunately, we no longer offer feedback to students who are denied.

PD: Are round 3 applicants at any disadvantage? Is most of the class already filled by the end of the first 2 rounds?

Kurt: PD, we do fill the class as we go but we always have some space available in the class for third round applicants. The third round is competitive but we also get fewer applications in the third round so I am not totally convinced is significantly more competitive to get admitted in the third round than any other round. The rule of thumb is submit your application when it is at is best than worry about the round.

Chicago08MBA: Another question about admissions...do you make decisions on R1 candidates before you look at R2, or so you compare the two applicant pools before making a decision? Not counting waitlisted candidates of course. Thanks.

Kurt: We look at all rounds separately and do not compare across, with the exception of people who are waitlisted as you indicated.

Martina: Thank you for joining us this morning! Have a great day!

Kurt: Thanks for the great questions and best of luck in the application process.

Joanne: Thanks everyone! We appreciate your participation and hope you found the chat helpful.

Rose: Thanks again for joining us. Feel free to contact me directly if I can help in any way (rose.martinelli@chicagobooth.edu). Warm regards, Rose