close window Close Window

2006 Chicago GSB MBA Admissions Chat with Rose Martinelli

November 14, 2005—10:00-11:30AM CST

This information is provided by Accepted.com, Inc. Further information is available at http://www.accepted.com or via e-mail at info@accepted.com

Normally, Accepted.com chats start with an introduction of school representatives, however Rose Martinelli arrived early and immediately started responding to questions. Since the pre-chat material is excellent, we have decided to leave it in the transcript and have it precede the formal introduction and remainder of the chat.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 9:46:43 AM) Hello everyone. Thought I would log in a bit early and get myself set-up. The session officially starts at noon.

JC (Nov 14, 2005 9:49:14 AM) In case you don't mind answering this question already - What kind of cultural differences did you find in the student community between Wharton and GSB Chicago?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 9:53:01 AM) There are so many great MBA programs out there. The differences between Chicago and Wharton really boil down to the delivery of the education. Both programs have great academics, faculty, strength in Finance, Strategy, Marketing and Entrepreneurship. What's different is in the delivery. At Chicago, you get the chance to build your own curriculum based on your abilities and interests. At Wharton, you will follow a fairly rigid core curriculum regardless of your background.

Sairaman (Nov 14, 2005 9:53:53 AM) Interestingly enough Rose, I have been given the same opinion by couple of my friends doing the GSB Part-time MBA course.

Sairaman (Nov 14, 2005 9:55:09 AM) Rose, can you elaborate on what kind of inputs one can get from the school to structure an optimum curriculum. Going by what my friends said, one must be pretty sure about the course that one wants to do. Is that true?

bosapp (Nov 14, 2005 9:55:12 AM) Hi Rose, I have a question about essay 3D. I wonder if I should emphasize the "why" part or the "who would it be" part? Currently, I put 95% in the "why" part. Thanks.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 9:56:07 AM) Chicago provides you with many resources to support you in building a curriculum that best fits your needs and goals. You won't have to design this in a vacuum.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 9:56:32 AM) I would say that focusing on the why part is very important.

JC (Nov 14, 2005 9:58:16 AM) Rose, even though reapplicants submit an entire application again, their last year applications would still be reviewed - correct?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 9:58:42 AM) Hello Linda! We've already started chatting.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 9:58:50 AM) Great.

bosapp (Nov 14, 2005 9:58:55 AM) Another essay question. In the first essay, I spent about 300 words describing a high school competition that intrigued me to choose my college major and something about college academic life. Is this appropriate?

JC (Nov 14, 2005 9:59:10 AM) Since some of the essays from the last year are same/similar (e.g. 3D referred to above) - is it OK to use the same essay, of course after modifying it to answer the reframed question?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 9:59:16 AM) We will keep the prior application on hand, but will look to the current application for the content. RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 9:59:53 AM) bosapp, the content of your essays is really up to you. Does focusing on a high school experience make sense? Only you will know.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:00:31 AM) JC, take advantage of the opportunity to look at the essay freshly rather than just updating it from last years.

Sairaman (Nov 14, 2005 10:01:03 AM) Rose, how does the Marketing program fare against the likes of Finance and Consulting?

nmoran (Nov 14, 2005 10:01:04 AM) Rose, how would you say this difference in delivery is reflected in the career services department? I would assume that recruiters' focus must change a bit.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:02:03 AM) The breadth of our academic disciplines at Chicago is amazing. Our marketing program is more closely aligned to economics and our strategy program is highly sought after by all the consulting firms.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:02:30 AM) Chicago provides a general management approach to the education. Your concentrations are what will be helpful in targeting specific industries and functions.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:02:49 AM) Let's start (again.) Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:02:59 AM) First I want to welcome you all to Accepted.com's Chicago Admissions Chat.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:03:11 AM) I also want to welcome Rose Martinelli, Chicago's new Director of Admissions and Demetrios Dounis, GSB student.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:03:23 AM) Thanks to everyone for joining. I guess Demetrios is still coming.

Sairaman (Nov 14, 2005 10:03:28 AM) Rose, can you share with us how the cohort and the LEAD programs help in the first year students getting entrenched into the programs?

JC (Nov 14, 2005 10:04:45 AM) Rose, in my last application, I had brought in recommendations from my previous manager and my current manager. Now I have been working at my current place of employment for about a year and a half, and I think two of my supervisors (immediate manager and Director of IT) can make strong and current recommendations. Is it OK to have both the recommendations from the same workplace?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:05:10 AM) JC - Absolutely. Make sure you spend some time preparing your recommenders -- share with them your goals and aspirations. It helps them in understanding how best to write about you.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:06:19 AM) Rose: I would normally ask now, what's new? But there is so much new in admissions - a new forum, regular chats, new questions - that I am going to ask my question a little differently: Would you like to focus on a few aspects that you have changed since your arrival at Chicago?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:07:10 AM) There are so many things that we have changed in order to help students learn about what makes Chicago different. Many of you may notice our new essay questions, but a few things like the interview process have changed as well.

bigdave (Nov 14, 2005 10:07:23 AM) Rose, what attributes would the Chicago GSB look for in IT applicants with little formal on-the-job business-related work experience?

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:07:26 AM) How has the interview process changed?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:07:53 AM) We decided to move to interview by invitation since we believe the interview to be an important component of the process. Since we did not have enough resources to provide interviews for everyone who wanted one, we had to manage our resources differently. Now we invite candidates to interview after we have evaluated their application fully at least twice. The interview will be blind -- meaning the interviewer will not have read your file in advance so that this will be a completely new experience for you to communicate your message.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:10:07 AM) bigdave, for all our early career applicants, it is important to help us understand why now (and not later). We will look for internships, leadership positions both now and in college, maturity and of course your ability to articulate path and plan.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:11:25 AM) How did Chicago's first round application volume this year compare to last year's volume?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:12:02 AM) Our application volume is up this year. Early indicators from GMAT test registrations had predicted this, so we are pleased. Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:12:35 AM) Up a lot or a little?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:12:59 AM) Up solidly :-) CD06 (Nov 14, 2005 10:13:01 AM) Are the applicants who submit the applications towards the end of admissions deadline at some disadvantage?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:14:07 AM) Great applicants will be successful no matter the deadline. We have plenty of room in round 3. For each round, we batch decisions, so an applicant 5 days before a deadline will not get their final decision before someone who applied on the deadline, though they may hear whether they are invited to interview earlier.

gsb08 (Nov 14, 2005 10:14:09 AM) Hi Rose, in the case of an alumni interview, are alumni briefed by the adcom on the format of the interview or is there no fixed structure for the interview?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:15:03 AM) Our alumni go through a similar training process as do our student interviewers. They know what we are looking for, but they have the freedom to conduct the interview in a less controlled environment than on campus.

mba07 (Nov 14, 2005 10:15:05 AM) Rose, I have a question regarding the part time MBA at GSB. How are the placements in comparison to the full time MBA? Do you think I have to opt for the full time program necessarily if I'm looking for a career switch?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:15:56 AM) I only oversee the Full-time program. The two programs are completely run distinct from the other, including having a separate career services department. Some part-time students are allowed to recruit with the full-time student each year, however.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:15:57 AM) Rose, how do you use the interview in the admissions process?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:17:17 AM) The interview provides another external viewpoint on the applicant outside of the application. Since it is blind, it provides the applicant with the opportunity to really craft their own story, plus check out the fit and match issues. The interview is only one part of the application -- it will not make or break your application. The report is taken into consideration along with all the other components before a decision is made.

CD06 (Nov 14, 2005 10:17:18 AM) Are there any components in the application that can not be completed online?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:18:05 AM) Actually, everything can be completed online. We will ask for self reported GMAT/TOEFL scores and transcripts, but will ask for the official transcripts a bit later, should you be admitted.

Sairaman (Nov 14, 2005 10:18:07 AM) What does the interviewer look for in a candidate, in addition to the GMAT, educational background and work experience?

CD06 (Nov 14, 2005 10:18:28 AM) Further to your response on interviews, can you tell us what percentage of interviewed students are finally admitted?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:18:53 AM) The interviewer is looking to assess fit with GSB, your communication ability, your passion and ability to articulate path and plan. Fit and match is so important at this point in the application process.

Rachel (Nov 14, 2005 10:19:03 AM) How does Chicago view military service? Can it be counted as full time work experience?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:19:22 AM) Typically, 50-60% of our applicants will be invited to interview. Which translates into a 1 in 5 chance for admission.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:19:37 AM) Rose, how is recruiting going this year?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:20:00 AM) Military service is important as you describe it to the committee. What did you learn? How did you contribute? How did you grow and how has that made you the person you are today?

ChicagoWannabe (Nov 14, 2005 10:20:07 AM) How does Chicago view a student applying for an MBA right out of medical school?

Paul_Bodine (Nov 14, 2005 10:20:34 AM) Rose, do you envision the mix or content of Chicago's future classes differing at all now that you lead the admissions process?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:20:45 AM) The recruiting year is winding down, and we saw wonderful candidates on the road throughout the world. This year we conducted receptions in 60 cities around the world.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:21:52 AM) My big question for that person would be -- why more education? What do you hope the MBA will do for you at this stage in your career? Is this a career switch or career enhancer? You're are also taking on a lot more debt. We want to know you have considered and can answer all of these types of questions.

CD06 (Nov 14, 2005 10:22:25 AM) Rose, is it is true that internationals at Chicago find it more difficult to find jobs other than in IBanking or Consulting? RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:22:47 AM) As for the type of classes -- no, I do not see any differences. The things we are changing in admissions is about process and transparency. We are still looking for the same types of people -- intellectually curious, engaged, directed and involved.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:22:52 AM) How is hiring going for the class of '06?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:24:24 AM) International students do face challenges in trying to find jobs in the US no matter what school you attend. Typically, consulting and IBanking are a bit easier for our international students since these companies are used to working through the visa processes. I would encourage our international students to think broadly about the MBA and the location of that first job.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:24:29 AM) Rose, what will Chicago's waitlist procedures be this year?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:24:59 AM) On campus recruiting is moving along briskly. We have more companies coming to campus than in years past. It looks like our students will have a very good year.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:25:09 AM) Rose: Is there any advice that you have specifically for international applicants?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:25:48 AM) The waitlist will be a place we put candidates to gauge the applicant pool. We will not use it to gauge the candidates interest, but will use it for candidates that we are very interested in but need to see what is coming in the pool.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:26:30 AM) Will you encourage waitlisted applicants to inform you of significant changes and events or will you want to work with the information received prior to making your waitlist decision?

huls (Nov 14, 2005 10:27:53 AM) Rose: Is an applicant at a disadvantage if he/she is not employed at the time of applying?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:27:54 AM) International students applying to MBA programs in the US have their work cut out for them -- language, financing, career searches, cultural differences. I would encourage all our students to begin the process early, know themselves well, have considered why studying in the US is necessary, and have thought through all the issues around visas and financing. We're here to support, but there is a lot more work required for our international applicants.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:28:20 AM) Yes, students on the waitlist that have significant changes in their profile will be able to submit updates to their files.

Finance08 (Nov 14, 2005 10:28:28 AM) How many applicants did you have in Round 1?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:29:02 AM) Employment is not a pre-requisite to apply. What is important is that you talk about what you are currently doing at the time of application.

Rachel (Nov 14, 2005 10:29:03 AM) Whom do you recommend getting LOR's from when working in a family business?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:29:18 AM) As for applicants -- too soon to give you that number.

CD06 (Nov 14, 2005 10:29:24 AM) Is it more difficult for internationals to find a job after attending GSB Chicago?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:29:44 AM) Rachel, entrepreneurs have challenges -- think about clients, vendors, lawyers or business partners.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:30:19 AM) International students at Chicago GSB have faired very well in the recruitment process here. In fact, there are no differences in the success rates.

CD06 (Nov 14, 2005 10:30:20 AM) Typically what percentage of the total applicant pool apply in Round 1 and what percentage are selected in Round 1?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:31:19 AM) About 25-30% apply in round 1. The number admitted depends on the quality.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:31:24 AM) Rose, are there any special considerations for re-applicants at Chicago? Should reapplicants obtain recommendations from different recommenders?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:32:24 AM) Reapplicants are welcome at Chicago. We know that most reapplicants have spent time reevaluating their application, and have a fresh approach to reapplying. Recommendations can come from the same recommenders as the prior application, but they should be re-written (since we have new recommendation forms).

Paul_Bodine (Nov 14, 2005 10:32:26 AM) What role, if any, do GSB students play in the admissions process?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:33:08 AM) GSB students are actively involved. I have 29 current second year students (graduate assistants) evaluating applications and conducting on campus interviews. Plus, students are involved in all our visit programs.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:33:34 AM) Rose, how do you view applications from applicants who had previously declined an offer of admission from Chicago?

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:34:00 AM) Rose: When you evaluate an application, what are the three most important qualities you want to see before you will vote to admit an applicant?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:34:03 AM) Linda, as long as a student can tell me why they declined and why they now believe this is the right time for them to attend, I am fine.

okay (Nov 14, 2005 10:34:34 AM) Hi Rose! Is it frowned upon to not have visited the school? I've attended an information session, but not sure I can make visit the school before the R2 deadline.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:35:20 AM) Qualities -- a sense of direction, willingness to engage (get involved), and intellectual curiosity. Of course, leadership, self awareness, ability to work on team, is all part of this too. Guest (Nov 14, 2005 10:35:28 AM) I read in one of the chat transcripts posted on the website of GSB Chicago that a notarized copy of the undergraduate degree should be submitted, if another certificate is not available. Is it necessary to post this copy at the time of application or can it submitted at the time of admission?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:36:16 AM) The visit is very important, but does not have an impact on your application decision. It is something you should make time for prior to you making the final decision as to where to attend after admitted.

Paul_Bodine (Nov 14, 2005 10:37:04 AM) When an applicant makes a campus visit, is that fact noted anywhere in the file itself?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:37:15 AM) Many of you asked about the differences between Chicago and Wharton (since I worked at both). I would be happy to address!

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:37:58 AM) Many applicants apply to both Chicago and Wharton and would be quite interested in your perspective.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:38:00 AM) Paul, eventually, all information is placed in the file. We also recognize that everyone has different resources and options. Not visiting campus or attending a reception will not keep you from being admitted -- I can assure you of that!

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:38:41 AM) Wharton and Chicago are two highly respected institutions for their academic rigor, power of finance, marketing, strategy and entrepreneurship and are know for great faculty.What sets the two institutions apart is the delivery of the core curriculum. At Chicago, we allow the student to design a curriculum based on their abilities and interests. At Wharton, the curriculum is fairly rigid with students spending the first year together taking the same coursework (except for students who waiver courses). Poets and finance experts were in the same courses together, which made it difficult for both. At Chicago, poets and experts can take courses that are meaningful and at the appropriate level. You will be mixing with first and second year students in group work from day one.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:40:28 AM) Is the emphasis on teamwork different at the two schools?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:41:58 AM) The concept of teamwork is important for both schools. At Wharton, the team is fixed for the first year. At Chicago, you will work with different teams in each of your classes (which helps you to build a larger network much more quickly). The size of the two programs is also a driver of the differences -- Wharton - 800; Chicago 550. Our facilities and faculty are completely committed to the MBA and not shared with an undergraduate population. So our resources can be more directed.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:42:20 AM) Thanks. That really clarifies some of the differences in a very meaningful and concrete way. david (Nov 14, 2005 10:43:32 AM) What is the link to see previous discussions in this chat room? Thanks.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:43:42 AM) Here it is: http://www.accepted.com/chat/transcripts/mba_year.aspx.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:44:22 AM) I would also like to invite you to join our discussion forum at Chicago GSB.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:44:35 AM) The forum is excellent.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:44:53 AM) Rose, there was an interesting question above about letters of recommendation. The questioner asked for advice when a great recommender asks the applicant to draft the letter.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:46:34 AM) Many of you will be asked to draft recommendations. This puts you in an awkward position. I would encourage you to perhaps consider drafting a few bullets that you could send to your recommender that they then could flesh out into a letter. Typically, your recommender will be more supportive than you would be writing about yourself -- it would be awkward if you were too supportive of yourself and they disagreed.

Finance08 (Nov 14, 2005 10:46:46 AM) Do you know what percent of interview invites have gone out yet? Should Round 1 applicants be worried if they have not received one yet?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:47:18 AM) We just started releasing interview invitations last week so no one should be concerned. You should see my desk today!

huls12 (Nov 14, 2005 10:47:20 AM) Does Chicago have some sort of quota system. For example, are all Indian IT applicants placed in the same pool and then best candidates from that pool are selected?

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:48:25 AM) Welcome Demetrios! Now we can also have the Chicago student perspective.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:48:48 AM) There are no quotas used in admissions. We use a very holistic process evaluating your application on its own individual merits. Since we would not want a class of just Indian IT students, we do try to craft an interesting class.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:48:58 AM) Demetrios, could you tell us a little about yourself? What did you do before coming to Chicago and this past summer? What do you want to do after you graduate?

Paul_Bodine (Nov 14, 2005 10:49:06 AM) Do you think Chicago GSB has any work to do in marketing its non-finance/non-quant strengths more successfully?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:50:02 AM) Absolutely. That's one of the reasons I am here. Chicago has many strengths but not all of them are well known in the market. Everything we are doing is to more broadly communicate Chicago's strengths.

Finance08 (Nov 14, 2005 10:50:07 AM) What is the number one mistake people make when applying?

DemetriosDounisGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:50:44 AM) Hi. I was an analyst in investment banking at UBS NY (Global Industrials). I am seeking an internship in private equity over the summer.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:51:01 AM) So you're a first year student?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:51:01 AM) Trying to write essays that they think the admissions committee want to see. We just want you to be yourself in your essays.

nmoran (Nov 14, 2005 10:51:12 AM) GSB seems to support a very diverse student body. Besides proximity advantages for the Chicago native, are there any disadvantages that one would face in the application process? I'd like to make sure I consider all perceived weaknesses before applying.

DemetriosDounisGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:51:49 AM) Yes, I am a first year student.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:52:04 AM) Make sure your know why you need an MBA and why you think Chicago GSB is the right fit for you. If you can address those two questions, you will be fine.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:52:11 AM) Demetrios, why did you choose Chicago?

bigdave (Nov 14, 2005 10:52:58 AM) Rose: Other than location, what would be the number one reason one would choose Chicago over Wharton, and vice versa?

okay (Nov 14, 2005 10:54:28 AM) Demetrios - what schools did you apply to?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:54:40 AM) Great question. The decision would boil down to choice -- you will spend $3800 per class. How do you want to spend your money -- fixed curriculum or taking advantage of every opportunity to make it count?

JC (Nov 14, 2005 10:54:58 AM) Rose, since the issue of "Indian IT", just came up, do you think this is one of the biggest applicant pool? This is one reason I hear so much - that Indian IT pool is one of the most competitive, with GMAT's averaging well into 720's (or more), quite a few IT grads etc.

DemetriosDounisGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:55:24 AM) I choose Chicago for a couple of reasons. I found the program to be attractive because of its strength in finance, top notch faculty, flexible curriculum and the energized alumni base. I had the opportunity to work with GSB grads when I was at UBS and I was always impressed by how they performed. Not only from a quant standpoint but from interacting with people and managing the team.

Rachel (Nov 14, 2005 10:55:35 AM) Demetrio, what do you think is something that you did to help you get admitted and distinguish yourself from other applicants?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:56:14 AM) The Indian applicant pool has been one of the fastest growing pools. What we look for is the individual and your path and plan. No two people are exactly the same, so be yourself.

Chris Brusznicki (Nov 14, 2005 10:56:26 AM) Rose: Can you detail what sort of collaborative/competitive programs exist between the GSB and other Chicago colleges/universities? Are there any opportunities for students to take classes at other universities?

DemetriosDounisGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:56:40 AM) In addition to Chicago I applied to Columbia, Stern, Dartmouth and Yale.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:56:48 AM) Demetrios, what has been your favorite class? Professor?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:57:35 AM) Chicago does not have an exchange program with classes at Kellogg, however, our student groups do get together for events.

David (Nov 14, 2005 10:57:41 AM) Rose, in regard to the essay question - if you can spend one day as someone else, who would it be? My understanding is that , if "one day" is replaced by "one week/month", the intention of the question remains the same. Is it true?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:58:07 AM) David -- that's true. It's the intention that is important.

DemetriosDounisGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:58:57 AM) I think that in my essays I showed that I had taken initiative in managing my career. I knew exactly why I wanted an MBA and why Chicago was the right fit for me.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 10:59:04 AM) Rose: What would you advise an applicant who gets started late on his or her applications for the January deadline and is facing the following choice: Submit something less than the best in January or submit one's best work for the last deadline in March.

okay (Nov 14, 2005 10:59:18 AM) Demetrios - have you modified your career goal since admission? Are you finding yourself exploring other alternatives?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 10:59:31 AM) I would definitely advise to submit the best application possible -- wait until round 3.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 11:00:21 AM) Rose, do you have any tips for those planning to submit for the January deadline?

DemetriosDounisGSB (Nov 14, 2005 11:01:43 AM) I am really enjoying my investments class with Professor Heaton. We are learning a lot about valuing different financial products and understanding how companies manage risk.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 11:01:48 AM) Demetrios, what do you like best at Chicago? What would you like to see improved?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 11:02:11 AM) If you are ready to submit before the holidays, I would urge you to do so. This allows us to review your application quickly and release invitations to interview earlier. Also, we are very interested in the how's/why's of your choices to date. Know yourself (do your self assessment), be yourself, and believe in yourself. We want you here if you think the GSB is the right fit.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 11:03:18 AM) Rose, when you evaluate applications and the applicants are in the ballpark in terms of objective criteria, what makes you decide to admit one and reject another?

DemetriosDounisGSB (Nov 14, 2005 11:04:44 AM) I haven't changed my career goals since admissions. I have been exploring different career tracks. In my case, I have been attending Turnaround consulting and investment management forums and presentations, strictly to learn more about these professions.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 11:04:47 AM) Demetrios, how have you taken advantage of Chicago's famed flexibility or how do you intend to take advantage of it?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 11:05:07 AM) Wow, that's a tough one. I guess it all boils down to fit. The ability of the applicant to communicate path and plan, and why Chicago is a good match for them professionally and personally. Willingness to engage is key.

CD061 (Nov 14, 2005 11:05:28 AM) Rose: Is no prior entrepreneurship experience a disadvantage if the applicant wants to do something entrepreneurial a few years after attending GSB?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 11:06:36 AM) Many students are career changes at GSB, so prior experience is not important in an entrepreneurial venture. You should, however, be able to talk about why you think this may be a good career fit for you in the future. Basically, how do you know that you might want to be an entrepreneur?

Paul_Bodine (Nov 14, 2005 11:06:46 AM) Rose: Are GSB student readers asked to give their evaluations in the same form that admissions readers are? That is, are student reader asked to focus on different things than regular admissions readers?

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 11:08:02 AM) Actually, all are readers are trained to read for the same criterion. Each of us, however, have different perspectives as we evaluate candidates -- the student voice and the professional admissions voice. Blending those two voices we believe helps us make the best decisions.

okay (Nov 14, 2005 11:08:12 AM) Why would someone interested in pursuing management consulting career post MBA go to GSB versus a school that has a strong GM focus?

okay (Nov 14, 2005 11:08:52 AM) Rose, thank you so much for your insight. This was my first chat and I learned a lot.

DemetriosDounisGSB (Nov 14, 2005 11:08:55 AM) I really like the culture of the school. That includes the professors, students and alumni. I find myself learning a lot from my peers. If the school could find someway to fit more hours in the day that would be great :-)

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 11:09:38 AM) All MBA programs provide a general management course of study. Chicago has a well known strategic management concentration that is highly sought after by the major consulting firms. Having a general management basis is important, but each of you will likely want to dig more deeply in specific areas based on your interests.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 11:10:16 AM) Feel free to write me a rose.martinelli@chicagobooth.edu.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 11:10:18 AM) Thank you again all for participating today. Special thanks to Rose and Demetrios.

RoseMartinelliGSB (Nov 14, 2005 11:10:37 AM) Linda, thank you for the invitation. It is always a pleasure to join you for these chats.

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 11:10:54 AM) You're most welcome. I appreciate you carving out time to come.

CD061 (Nov 14, 2005 11:10:56 AM) Thanks Rose & Demetrios - Thanks Linda!

okay (Nov 14, 2005 11:11:27 AM) Rose and Demetrios - thanks again! Linda - thanks for hosting!

DemetriosDounisGSB (Nov 14, 2005 11:11:32 AM) Your welcome, take care

Linda Abraham (Nov 14, 2005 11:11:36 AM) You're welcome everyone.