Jane Bryant Quinn: Making the Most of Your Money Now
January 15, 2010: 11:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Quinn's bestseller has been completely revised and updated for 2010 and beyond. America's most trusted financial adviser, who helped millions of readers meet their goals in the 1990s, has done it again -- providing a guide to financial recovery, independence, and success in the new economy.
Union League of Chicago
65 West Jackson Blvd
Consumers Union named Making the Most of Your Money the best personal finance book on the market.
Getting your financial life on track and keeping it there - nothing is more important to your family and you. This proven, comprehensive guidebook steers you around the risks and helps you make smart and profitable decisions at every stage of your life. Are you single, married, or divorced? A parent with a paycheck or a parent at home? Getting your first job or well along in your career? Helping your kids in college or your parents in their older age? Planning for retirement? Already retired and worried about how to make your money last? You'll find ideas to help you build your financial security here.
Jane Bryant Quinn answers more questions more completely than any other personal-finance author on the market today. You'll reach for this book again and again as your life changes and new financial decisions arise. Here are just a few of the important subjects she examines:
• Setting priorities during and after a financial setback, and bouncing back
• Getting the most out of a bank while avoiding fees
• Credit card and debit card secrets that will save you money
• Family matters -- talking money before marriage and mediating claims during divorce
• Cutting the cost of student debt, and finding schools that will offer big "merit" scholarships to your child
• The simplest ways of pulling yourself out of debt
• Why it's so important to jump on the automatic-savings bandwagon
• Buying a house, selling one, or trying to rent your home when buyers aren't around
• Why credit scores are more important than ever, plus tips on keeping yours in the range most attractive to lenders
• Investing made easy -- mutual funds that are tailor-made for your future retirement
• What every investor needs to know about building wealth
• How an "investment policy" helps you make wise decisions in any market
• The essential tax-deferred retirement plans, from 401(k)s to Individual Retirement Accounts -- and how to manage them
• How to invest in real estate at a bargain price (and how to spot something that looks like a bargain but isn't)
• Eleven ways of keeping a steady income while you're retired, even after a stock market crash
• Financial planning -- what it means, how you do it, and where to find good planners
Page by page, Quinn leads you through the pros and cons of every decision, to help you make the choice that will suit you best. This is the single personal-finance book that no family should be without.
11:30 AM-1:30 PM: Luncheon
Jane Bryant Quinn (Speaker)
Jane Bryant Quinn is the author of the bestselling Making the Most of Your Money and Everyone's Money Book. She writes regularly for Newsweek and Good Housekeeping. She lives in New York City.
Other InformationLuncheon with author presenation followed by Q&A and book signing.
Books will be available for sale at the event.